Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   USCG doc Number display (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/119539-uscg-doc-number-display.html)

Kanookstr 01-02-2006 01:45 PM

USCG doc Number display

Got my boat USCG Document. I know the size and location for the name. But what do you guys do about displaying the numbers in the boat?? And where do you get them made up? Or do you just get vinyl numbers and put them somewhere???
Thansk

docmanrich37 01-02-2006 01:54 PM

Re: USCG doc Number display

Installed mine in the engine compartment on the back of the back seat.C.G. can see them without boarding my boat if needed.

scottc 01-02-2006 01:57 PM

The cheapest and easiest is to get vinal numbers and glass them into the engine compartment so they are easy to see but hard to remove. In the instruction that come with the doc it will tell you how to do it.

Downtown42 01-02-2006 02:10 PM

I think doc. no's need to be located in engine compartment.

CAP071 01-02-2006 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by scottc
The cheapest and easiest is to get vinal numbers and glass them into the engine compartment so they are easy to see but hard to remove. In the instruction that come with the doc it will tell you how to do it.

That's what I did also

375stinger 01-02-2006 02:16 PM

yep ours are in wit the engines

mwdill 01-02-2006 02:44 PM

mine are vinyl numbers and are in the engine compartment with a couple coats of clear over them

CAP071 01-02-2006 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
in Maryland you dont need the numbers, you just need the sticker and have the papers on board with you....

True

I put the Numbers on just to stop all the water cops from stopping me for no reason other then missing numbers :rolleyes:

sonic28 01-02-2006 02:54 PM

whats the purpose of documentation vs registration

dreamer 01-02-2006 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
in Maryland you dont need the numbers, you just need the sticker and have the papers on board with you....

no... documentation is federal.. no state can overide... but we are not reffering to state regestraion #... the documented vessel must have the documantaion # permenently fixed to the hull... i.e. in the enfine compertment glassed in or cleared over

375stinger 01-02-2006 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sonic28
whats the purpose of documentation vs registration

call me on this if im wrong..but i believe documentation is federal and you gotta put doc. 3 inch numbers in bilge and 4 inch name and port on back. state registration you ahve a registration number on the side of ur boat. i think the main reason for documentation is you dont gotta pay state sales tax, and somthing to do with takin out of u.s. etc.

offshoredrillin 01-02-2006 03:20 PM

from my documentation papers:
OFFICIAL NUMBER: for all vessels, the official number shown on the COD (Certificate of Documentation) preceded by the abbreviation "NO" must be marked in block type Arabic numerals at least 3" high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permenatly affixed so that alteration,removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage the surrounding hull area.

NAME AND HAILING PORT: For RECREATION vessels, the name and hailing port both must be marker together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. All must be at least 4" in height made in clearly legible letters. Hailing port MUST include BOTH a place (city) AND the state.

I guess I better make sure my numbers are in there next spring:D..glad I was never boarded last year....:eek:

375stinger 01-02-2006 03:24 PM

i got the measurment part right at least :D

GLH 01-02-2006 05:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My ride.

I guess it is conform.. CG here has inspected and blessed so has the State Police of New York, Vermont, and the Surete du Quebec...

JasonSmith 01-02-2006 08:38 PM

How high big does your hailing port name have to be? 4" is what I read, but I have yet to be hooked on Phonics.

Smitty 01-02-2006 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine

offshoredrillin 01-02-2006 08:56 PM

go here it should have all the answers...Rob

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm

Kanookstr 01-03-2006 08:35 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys :drink:

Kanookstr 01-03-2006 08:39 AM

On an other site someone posted this place that makes plastic tags. Plastic Doc Tags

GLH 01-03-2006 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kanookstr
On an other site someone posted this place that makes plastic tags. Plastic Doc Tags

Then you have to glass that plate in the inside of your boat somewhere.

RedDog382 01-03-2006 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 375stinger
i think the main reason for documentation is you dont gotta pay state sales tax,

In most states, you still have to pay the sales tax. That is the purpose of the required state registration in Ohio.

Documented vessel DOES NOT need to display OH numbers, but does need to display a current state registration sticker. That is how they find you to collect the sales tax.

And yes, they found me ... two years later. They agreed to waive the hefty "fine" with the immediate payment of the "overdue" tax.

GLH 01-03-2006 01:01 PM

Or register it to your summer house in NH or Delaware...

375stinger 01-03-2006 03:04 PM

ooo, i just thot that cuse i could swear thats why my dad had the cig project documented when we bought it instead of registered, cuse he said he saved on the sales tax for it...but dont ever quote me on anything cuse im not the best listener :D

RedDog382 01-03-2006 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
Or register it to your summer house in NH or Delaware...

If only I had one ...

drypipetiger 01-03-2006 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Kanookstr 01-04-2006 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
Then you have to glass that plate in the inside of your boat somewhere.

Ya I figured I would epoxy it in the engine comp like you guys.

I'm having my home port in RI or NH, No sales tax there, and I don't boat there :D

In MA they don't require USCG doc boats to have a sticker, unless the home port is MA..

masi242 01-04-2006 06:52 PM

Does this mean prices, Won`t go up for 06 :D

Hope you enjoyed the bud light :drink:

Kanookstr 01-04-2006 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by masi242
Does this mean prices, Won`t go up for 06 :D

Hope you enjoyed the bud light :drink:

It means it wont go up as much :D .
Here is a good way of looking at it Mark.
I still will be about $1000.oo less than the other marina's.
$700.

Yes the Bud lite was great. You won the guys over with that one. Good Save!!! :drink: