Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What was i thinking!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/119817-what-i-thinking.html)

JLAY 01-06-2006 08:31 AM

What was i thinking!!

:(
Yesterday evening i went home from work early to start installing a wooden floor in the cabin of my boat. My dad had some left over from his house. Anyway i dont know what the hell i was thinking because when i was drilling the piliot holes i drilled through the bottom of the boat. :eek: Now i have two freaking holes in the bottom of my 26 infinity. I was so pissed i wanted to beat my dog. Well my question is what do i fix this with. Do i use some bubbles, or does 3M make a marine filler? Thanks in advance for any info. Jlay :(

Formula Outlaw 01-06-2006 09:14 AM

Re: What was i thinking!!

Might try gluing a hardwood dowel in it's place, leaving about a one eighth inch deep "divit" and use Marine Tex to fill that in.

Otherwise ask a legit glass guy what to do.

Wobble 01-06-2006 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Might try gluing a hardwood dowel in it's place, leaving about a one eighth inch deep "divit" and use Marine Tex to fill that in.

Otherwise ask a legit glass guy what to do.

I ran a screw through the bottom of my boat.

Roughed out the hole from the bottom with a course dremel bit and filled with marine-tex, sanded it down carefully. You cant tell. For the hole inside. plug with dowel as Formula suggests or mix up some fiberglass resin and inject with one of those syringes that you use to inject meat with marinade.

Roger 1 01-06-2006 09:33 AM

I would suggest a pad lock on your tool box.

ratman 01-06-2006 09:37 AM

lmfao

t500hps 01-06-2006 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Roger 1

That's funny chit right there!!!! :D :D

Edward R. Cozzi 01-06-2006 10:12 AM

Ah...who among us hasn't done something even worse...

I saw a guy cut a hole in his dash for a GPS and put a matching hole in his cabin door that happened to be open at the time!

No, it wasn't me, but if I was paying attention at the time I might have noticed what he was doing.

RHC 01-06-2006 10:15 AM

I think ya might need a bigger bilge pump!! :D :D

RHC

BK 01-06-2006 10:16 AM

I was at a boat race in Havasu one time, and when one team tried to launch the boat it wouldn't come off the trailer ---

Someone had accidentally screwed through the bottom of the boat to the bunks! True story.
:D

It's one thing to mess up at home, but to mess up in front of an audience of thousands - that's priceless. :D

Wobble 01-06-2006 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Ah...who among us hasn't done something even worse...

I saw a guy cut a hole in his dash for a GPS and put a matching hole in his cabin door that happened to be open at the time!

No, it wasn't me, but if I was paying attention at the time I might have noticed what he was doing.

Aww come on, fess up :D

Time to start a thread on boat maintenance screw ups :evilb:

I have a few

fund razor 01-06-2006 10:30 AM

Two words.

West system.

birdog 01-06-2006 10:33 AM

:D :evilb:

I feel bad , laughing at this

JLAY 01-06-2006 10:44 AM

The worst part is that my wife had just got in the boat to see how it looked as soon as i had realized what i had done. She immediately went back in the house when she heard all of the @**@! flying. Later that evening i told her i cant be the first to do this and i will start a thread to see how to fix it and see how many other people had a brainfart when holding a dewalt drill. :rolleyes:

fund razor 01-06-2006 12:56 PM

Friends don't let friends take drills into the bilge.

thedonz 01-06-2006 01:02 PM

LMAO....I think this is one of the funniest statements I have ever seen on OSO................... :evilb:

J-Bonz 01-06-2006 02:28 PM

Ask the guys of that new boat show on oln, seems like they probably have delt with this problem before.
jr.

Dean Ferry 01-06-2006 02:30 PM

Rog!
That's is some funny chit!! :D
Dean

BTW, Marine-Tex will fix that screw-up, (Sorry Pun intended!)

satisfactionII 01-06-2006 02:53 PM

Funny chit.

JLAY....Quick question, did you mark the spot to drill first? :eek:

Roger 1 01-06-2006 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by JLAY
The worst part is that my wife had just got in the boat to see how it looked as soon as i had realized what i had done. She immediately went back in the house when she heard all of the @**@! flying. Later that evening i told her i cant be the first to do this and i will start a thread to see how to fix it and see how many other people had a brainfart when holding a dewalt drill. :rolleyes:

I hope that you know that I posted in good fun. I would make a list of my screw ups but Steve would have to increase the badwidth for me to post it.. :D

Roger

JLAY 01-06-2006 03:24 PM

Roger 1, whith everything that has happened to us with katrina lately, when i got inside all i could do is laugh and said i really can't believe i just did that. Things like this are just not that big of a deal anymore. But yes, i dont mind you guys breaking my balls. It's makes me laugh when i read this also.
:stupid:

Roger 1 01-06-2006 04:32 PM

Glad you`re dealing with it well. At least it did`nt involve a trip to the emergency room to get something sewn up or taken out.
People who can`t laugh at themselves are missing a lot. Some of the funniest burns and jokes that I`ve laughed the hardest at were at my expense.

Roger

itilldo 01-06-2006 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I think that we have a winner for 2006 OSO punch line of the year and it is only the first week.

Sorry about the troubles but when I read Roger 1 comment I blew beer out of my nose and on the key board and monitor.

Downtown42 01-07-2006 06:32 AM

Hang in there. Anything can be fixed. We have all fkd up at one time or another. Good ideas on the dowel inserted and patched in.

Croozin2 01-07-2006 06:46 AM

Several good suggestions. The dowel for adding integrity and the West System is so complete and easy to use for surface boo-boos.

If you've owned a boat for any amount of time you've got plenty of stories to tell. You might not want to share them but you definitely have them. :D

J, I can relate on the Katrina BS also. Lost our home in the deal and I'm now in the process of rebuilding. Should have my Top Gun by now but, hey, priorities first. Then, in the meantime, decided to get out and open my own business. I will not go to my grave saying "I wish I would have". Events like Katrina make you realize how short and precious life really is. Puts boo-boos like yours in perspective. Nothing a little resin and epoxy won't take care of!