Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Velocity 1500 lbs less then Fountain??? >

Velocity 1500 lbs less then Fountain???

Notices

Velocity 1500 lbs less then Fountain???

Old 01-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Velocity 1500 lbs less then Fountain???

are they really that light???........Ive never put much stock in claimed boat wieght.......I once saw a test in Powerboat that said the 32 Sleekcraft (twin BB) they tested wieghed 3500lbs!!!.......I wrote in( they printed my letter in the next issue) and said WTF!.....they said they request the manufactures "tell them" (they dont wiegh them themselves) the bare hull wieght.....no rigging just glass........but most manufactures (again) tell them a fully rigged wieght, so they print that (NOT very scientific IMO).......I also know alot of manufactures give a "dry" wieght......and they mean dry!.......no batteries, no gas, no water no anything, and a stipped down version with no options.......there is no set procedure or guidelines for a man. to wiegh a boat.........thier all over the place
Old 01-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i cnat ssee a velocity 29 being ligher than a 29 foutnain considerin its really like comparin a 29 to a.....26
Old 01-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beachbob, I looked at Velocitys too, they are very fast because of their weight. A 280 with a 575 should push 90 I'm told. Living near the factory, I see them all the time down here. For me, personally, the look/layout just didn't do it. I like the hull design and they do ride really high at speed. I have a vid from the Toys for Tots of one you V guys shooting the 19 bridge buried somewhere in my computer. What sold me on the Fountain was watching a Poker run video. I saw a Fountain and a Velocity side by side about the same size. The water was obviousely chewed up. The Velocity just looked like a bucking bronco to me while the Fountain seems to be riding a lot smoother. It all depends on what you want to do. There's always tradeoffs. I have a boat with a similar hull to a Velocity and I can crank the wheel hard over at nearly full speed unlike a Fountain but in rough water it's like riding on gas charged shocks. Good Luck in your quest to fly!
Old 01-08-2006, 01:35 AM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HYPER1
Hey Mike hows the New Year,still Fishin,hope all is well.You forgot to mention my 320,97 hull still perfect shape and never been passed by a fountain,it rides on the pad like it is on rails and no hull problems.Could not resist.The more HP The better she rides.Mike did you get a new Concept or what,sweet rides,talk to ya soon.

Hey buddy, I think I need a ride on that 320. What do ya say? I'll buy the gas and beer!
Old 01-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1994 is still tight as a drum, best hull I've ever seen. You just gotta run 'em hard and fast!
Old 01-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Velocity boats layup is very very thin. Did you ever see the pictures of the 26 F1 boat that broke the nose off just going over a boat wake following a 26 Scarab in St. Clair during a practice session? WOW! Same with the 38 Velociraptor in Sarasota or the 24 pleasure boat running for one of it's 1st times on East Lake Toho in Orlando or the couple running there 26 in Chicago back in the 90's. Some people call them potato chips.
I was waiting for you to chime in but why not post all the facts. Boat wake, yea if a tug is a boat. They were admittely over trimmed running all out launched, tripped and stuffed. Friend of mine did the exact same thing in the East River in a 35 Sonic except in addition to a broken boat he had broken his back in 3 places.

All boats break personally I have seen 3 Fountains (Sarasota, Mississauga - Toronto) come apart sure wish I took pics, 1 MTI with half the bottom missing after running in the Bay in Corpus Christi and even saw a Skater or 2 come apart. All boats break, do they happen more often to Velocity, nope but for some reason you really like going after them. I got to give you one thing, at least your consistent

BTW, my 41 is now 10 years old and still solid.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I was waiting for you to chime in but why not post all the facts. Boat wake, yea if a tug is a boat. They were admittely over trimmed running all out launched, tripped and stuffed. Friend of mine did the exact same thing in the East River in a 35 Sonic except in addition to a broken boat he had broken his back in 3 places.
I was at Sandy Hook when that Sonic was heading out. It was over 100 degrees that day and humid. It felt like the Amazon jungle. Anyway here comes that Sonic full bore as it always goes and fades into the steamy mist.....Some time later here comes Sea Tow full bore going in the same direction....Later I saw the Sonic, what a disaster! And heard the injury report..I was glad nobody was killed. That had to be some sight!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Registered

A 26' Velocity broke apart up here in Chcago a few years back...he flew over a boat wake and the front half of the boat broke off at the helm.
Owner found dead a day later.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 375stinger
i cnat ssee a velocity 29 being ligher than a 29 foutnain considerin its really like comparin a 29 to a.....26
Old 01-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Registered

I'm comparing a 29 fever to a 29 vr1 the velocity is 1500lbs lighter according to thier websites?? dimensions look dam close fountain has beak but is 2 inches wider and both have swim platform?? So if these velocitys break do the new 29;s? think they just started making them around 2003 (not sure about that maybe someone knows?) TX for all the post keep em coming!

Quick Reply: Velocity 1500 lbs less then Fountain???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.