Notices

Swimming pools and boats

Old 01-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Swimming pools and boats

Bought a scarab two summers ago...having the pool filled in this spring...mainly because it collapsed after a week of straight rain this fall, but since we bought the boat we used it a lot less.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have boat and indoor pool love them both but with last months $1500 gas bill made me turn down the temp from 91 to 85
Old 01-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Our pool was finished about 8 months ago. We use the Jacuzzi far more than the pool but the kids use both all the time. Word to the wise - most pool contractors suck (can I say that?), at least in our area. I have been in construction for 25 years (as a GC and now as a consulting PM) and have been involved with the build out of many pools ancillary to various projects. In 90% plus of the cases, I had trouble with the pool contractor. At my own home it took 10 months for the MF to finish and even then only after I stuck a Lawyer on him and sent a complaint to the State Contractor's License Board.
Attached Thumbnails Swimming pools and boats-pool-reduced.jpg   Swimming pools and boats-fireplace-reduced.jpg   Swimming pools and boats-bar-reduced.jpg  

Old 01-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

:d
Attached Thumbnails Swimming pools and boats-house-pooleast.jpg   Swimming pools and boats-house-rear.jpg   Swimming pools and boats-housefmdock.jpg  

Old 01-15-2006, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What good thread, a great example how OSO has uses beyond boating. ..... We signed the contract and they start making a mess 1st week of March. Pool, spa and birdcage. Might try to add the in floor cleaning option. Phantom, that built in bar is way cool.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Registered

We have had ours for about 3 years. It's great for unwinding after work. The kids use it most days during the week. We opted for the fiberglass pool manufactured by Viking, because fiberglass was supposed to be easier to maintain. We also have an automatic cover and automatic salt water chlorinator.
It really is quite easy to maintain. I add acid 2 or three times per season, and vacuum about once every week or two.

One word of caution...Make sure you have a good contractor. Ours was a nightmare! There are lots of idiots building pools so beware. We had a lot of problems associated with installation, but we are quite happy with the pool and equipment.

A perfect day is boating then coming home and jumping into a pool.

Best of luck to you.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Registered

Welcome to OSO gofastmarine!! This is a unique site with great people and tons of info... enjoy!

At my previous north NJ home, I had a pool & two jacuzzi's... one was part of the pool and the other was a stand-alone on the deck. Rarely used the pool, but often used the jacuzzi on the deck. I've since moved and have neither a pool or jacuzzi.

My NJ shore house is located on a lagoon where I keep my boats. No pool or jacuzzi there, but if it's really hot I take a dip in the salt water lagoon. Within the next 5 years I plan to built a new house on my 100' x 100' lot and install a pool. It's nice to take a dip after boating on salt water all day.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Registered

Have a pool and the boat. IMO, if you don't have kids, a pool becomes a waste of time. In Los Angeles, we can dip into the pool about 5-6 months of the year with a pool cover. I am WAY too cheap to heat the pool. I have jacuzzi for the wife and I instead.

Anyway, with kids in the summer, pool is used about 5 days a week, an hour or 2 after work most every weekday, and a dip after coming home from the boat once a weekend.

Let me repeat what other people have said on this thread:

There is nothing better after towing/launching the boat, getting salt eyes, sunsoaked, and windraked from boating, to come home and jump into the pool and relax in your own home.

FYI My parents had/have a pool too. They said that when I turned 10, they don't remember anyone going in until I had kids. Doing the math, that would be a clean 18 years of non use, but maintenance.

If it were me with no or older kids, dump the pool, get a jacuzzi, your marriage will be happier!

Food for thought,

Chris

Last edited by chrisf; 01-19-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Banned

twins birthday party in November 12 degrees outside
Attached Thumbnails Swimming pools and boats-boys-pool-party-002.jpg   Swimming pools and boats-boys-pool-party-006.jpg   Swimming pools and boats-boys-pool-party-003.jpg  

Old 01-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Registered

good thread guys, as a "pool guy", i have to agree with almost everyone here. Pools are great, awesome family entertainment when not on the boat!! However, they do require some maintenance and depending on how old and how they are setup, everyone is different. I think the newest automation systems are great, along with auto cleaners and in floor cleaning.
As you may see from the posts some owners, as with anything product, may loose their interest after some time, its only normal in many cases, ie: kids grow up, things change, interests change. thats just the way it is.
you have to do whats right for you and yours.
As far as contractors go......be choosey! dont shop for price alone, you often get what you pay for! check with references and talk around, word of mouth will offer both the good and the bad where references will only be the good ones provided by the installer/contractor.

if i can offer anything else for info id be glad too, been doing this for almost 20 years now in the midwest. I will say that my knowledge of the pools in the southern areas is slim, theres definately some differences in construction there!! gunite vs. vinyl, that is.

good luck!!