Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BAJA 38 SPECIAL to buy or not to buy (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/120200-baja-38-special-buy-not-buy.html)

spk1 01-11-2006 04:34 PM

BAJA 38 SPECIAL to buy or not to buy

Hey Guys,
Ok so Im at the Houston Boat show, pretty let down by the lack of true power boats on display, and just to stay true to the crowd I spent some time looking at the new Baja's, Now I am not sure if it was because they were so new, or if it was because there were no other boats there besides formula,who knows.
My g/f got into the 35 baja and was already complaining about lack of space, and pointing to the cruisers :eek: thanks a lot houston boat show :eek: , so I came up with the defense that the 38 special had more room and comforts inside, the salesman agreed, hehe probably because he had just gotten one on trade,,but suddenly I felt myself really leaning toward the 38 special, maybe thats what I get for bringing my g/f, anyway, I currently have a 1983 40 excalibur hawk, that has been more of a project than I wanted it to be. I am too close to finishing her, to make the full decision right now, but I want to know what you guys think? Stick with what Ive got or move to a newer baja 38?

29scarab 01-11-2006 04:52 PM

Re: BAJA 38 SPECIAL to buy or not to buy

Yeah,,
I agreee about the show. I was there saturday night myself. Not much in the power boat department. I was majorly disappointed. The wifey liked the 32 Searay Sundancer,,,but I couldnt see 186 g's for a boat that small.

I'll just have to keep shopping till I find the right one myself. :(

open87 01-11-2006 04:55 PM

stick with what you have , especially if it's paid for..

Edward R. Cozzi 01-11-2006 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by spk1
Hey Guys,
Ok so Im at the Houston Boat show, pretty let down by the lack of true power boats on display, and just to stay true to the crowd I spent some time looking at the new Baja's, Now I am not sure if it was because they were so new, or if it was because there were no other boats there besides formula,who knows.
My g/f got into the 35 baja and was already complaining about lack of space, and pointing to the cruisers :eek: thanks a lot houston boat show :eek: , so I came up with the defense that the 38 special had more room and comforts inside, the salesman agreed, hehe probably because he had just gotten one on trade,,but suddenly I felt myself really leaning toward the 38 special, maybe thats what I get for bringing my g/f, anyway, I currently have a 1983 40 excalibur hawk, that has been more of a project than I wanted it to be. I am too close to finishing her, to make the full decision right now, but I want to know what you guys think? Stick with what Ive got or move to a newer baja 38?

I just figured out that "g/f" doesn't mean "Godfather"!

Am I Italian or what?

JS232 01-11-2006 06:20 PM

The 38 Special is a Huuuge boat :eek:

Very heavy 13-14 000 pounds.. Needs Big HP to move the beast... I have never read any complaints about that model.

I've eared low 60's with 502's.

It's a real weekender that can handle Big waters!

Steve H 01-11-2006 06:20 PM

I owned a 1995 model for 3 or 4 seasons. I drove it pretty hard most of the time and it seemd to hold up pretty good. I never saw one stress crack in that boat. I could get almost 70 out of it on a good day. That was with 415hp 502's. It was fully loaded with gen and a/c. The only complaint I had was that they used alot of cheap hardware. Seems like I was always replacing some trinket little part. Shop around. There are a ton of used ones on the market.

Steve H

Boomer 880 01-11-2006 06:42 PM

I did not like how the boat performed in 3+ foot waves, but that may have something to due with the driver. Lots of cockpit space.

CAP071 01-11-2006 06:44 PM

I just figured out that "g/f" doesn't mean "Godfather"!

Am I Italian or what?

:rolleyes: :D

Dave M 01-11-2006 07:10 PM

A guy at my marina has a 38 Special. It looks pretty roomy. What's that boat going to give you that the Excal doesn't or can't have?

P.S. If your GF has any complaints about your boat, tell her to get out HER CHECKBOOK! :drink:

JasonSmith 01-11-2006 08:49 PM

So you have 3 choices as I see it. .38 special, your current ride & a cruiser.
Lets look at this. The cruiser has all the crap the 38 special does, yet it goes like 1/2 knot at WOT.
The Hawk is everything the 38 special is, just older and has better styling.
Hmmmm the Hawk wins! Assuming the Hawk is in good shape structurally, I'd stay with the Hawk & update it. Paint, Engines, A/C & Heat, interior are way cheaper than a 38 special.