Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many people wear life jackets during a poker run? >

How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Notices
View Poll Results: Who wears life jackets in poker runs?
I wear them, my crew does not
1.88%
Everybody in the boat wears them
69.38%
I dont wear them
20.63%
Allen4 is a putz
8.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Old 01-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Re: How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Everyone in our boat wears a lifejacket during poker runs. Under normally conditions I don't wear one while out on the lake unless I'm doing high speed testing.

As for the kill switch, I ALWAYS wear it. If I don't the wife is right there to remind me to put it on. I can't imagine why a high performance boat driver wouldn't connect his kill switch.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
I can't imagine why a high performance boat driver wouldn't connect his kill switch.
It interferes with your drinking
Old 01-17-2006, 01:38 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by birdog
It interferes with your drinking
Not if you have a wife like mine (the best) All I have to do is ask for a drink and if shes not doin' anything (checking the oils, wiping down the interior or the hull, making me something to eat or fluffin' my pillow) she makes me another drink!!!

Just kiddin' Les!! You know I love ya !!
Old 01-17-2006, 01:48 PM
BK
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R Addiction:

It's sad but sometimes it does take an experience like yours before we see the light and wake up.

But I have also known some OSO members who only read about disasters like yours, and that's enough for them to make a vow to wear jackets from that point on.

Too bad these guys below weren't around to read these threads, to learn how valuable jackets are. I'm sure as they were treading water miles from shore they all though, "How I wish I had a life jacket right now!"

Here are some other missing boaters who may have had similar thoughts:

Body of missing boater found in Gulf
Family members were too distraught to talk on camera, but say they're happy the search has ended and at least they can move on and put the tragedy behind them.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10841261/

NRP Recover Missing Boater’s Body
Maryland Department of Natural Resources. NRP Recover Missing Boater’s Body - Pennsylvania Man Had Been Missing Since Late November ...Thomas’s vessel was located later that morning, aground on the west side of Hart Miller Island. Thomas was operating a 25’ cabin cruiser...
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/p...5/022305a.html

NBCSandiego.com - News - Missing Boater Found Clinging To Buoy
LOS ANGELES -- A 59-year-old man grasped on to driftwood, a balloon and finally ...
www.nbcsandiego.com/news/6058300/detail.html

Police find missing boater's body
Sunday, 15 January 2006.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200...htm?queensland

Missing boater's family, friends continue search
Palm Beach Post, FL - Jan 15, 2006
Jim Trindade had been boating to the Bahamas since he was 5. He skippered boats there "hundreds and hundreds of times....
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...dade_0116.html

Canines help humans search for missing boater
WATE.com, TN - Dec 31, 2005
LOUDON (WATE) -- The search for 55 year old Herbert Freshour continues and the number of people coming out to help keeps increasing. ...

Search called off for missing boater
Los Angeles Daily News, CA - Dec 24, 2005
ENTURA - Rescuers called off a search for an 18-year-old man who was missing after the boat he and his family occupied overturned Friday about 100 feet from ...

Coast Guard searching for missing Craig boater
JUNEAU, Alaska --The Coast Guard is continuing its search today for a missing Craig man who disappeared after his 22-foot vessel reportedly ran out of fuel ...
www.uscg.mil/d17/allnews/news99/06099.htm

KRISTV.COM - Corpus Christi, TX - Missing boater found in Lake ...
Even with the lake crowded for the Memorial Day Weekend, no one was able to spot the man in the critical time right after the accident. Elsclager was not surprised. He said, ""It happens fast, and it's like you say, you've got a few minutes, and it's over. You're gone."
San Patricio County Sheriff Leroy Moody said the tragic accident is another example of how dangerous Lake Corpus Christi can be.
"That lake has claimed lots of people, and a lot of them did not have on life jackets...and life jackets will help save your life," Sheriff Moody said. Two other people were in the boat when the accident happened on Saturday night, but others in the water were able to quickly pick them up.
www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3409338

Last edited by BK; 01-17-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Registered

+lanyards.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lanyards may not only save yoru life, they may save someone elses if you fall off and your boat runs away. If anything they shoudl be mandatory before life jackets. Poker runs are organized events. Not races but high speed is involved. The orgainzers have every right to demand everyone wear one in their event but i dotn think the govt shoudl make them mandatory since not wearing one cannot harm anyone else. With that being said, i always wear both and make my passengers wear them as well if i am traveling at any speed.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn

As for the kill switch, I ALWAYS wear it. If I don't the wife is right there to remind me to put it on. I can't imagine why a high performance boat driver wouldn't connect his kill switch.

Apparently it interferes with one's ability to drink and drive.

I guess I'll just never get used to the laws down there that allow you drive a boat and drink simultaneoulsy.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Some of you OSO's have some pretty bad luck with boating. I've been boating 35+ years and never been thrown out of a boat or had a boating accident.

BK you've been thrown out 3 times... I call that bad luck.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:52 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BK
R Addiction:It's sad but sometimes it does take an experience like yours before we see the light and wake up.
BK, the guy that pulled me up got so freaked by the whole thing he sold his boat and goes camping now instead. Owe him my life and my Mom has adopted him as one of her own.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Apparently it interferes with one's ability to drink and drive.

I guess I'll just never get used to the laws down there that allow you drive a boat and drink simultaneoulsy.
It's already illegal to drive drunk.

So get the sand out of your ***** and quit *****ing.

Attitudes like that are where speed limits come from. A few stupid drunks smash up their boats and you want canuckistan style laws - no booze on the boat, period. Sounds just like the morons that want to enforce speed limits because one or two idiots drive too fast and irresponsibly.

Quick Reply: How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.