Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many people wear life jackets during a poker run? >

How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Notices
View Poll Results: Who wears life jackets in poker runs?
I wear them, my crew does not
1.88%
Everybody in the boat wears them
69.38%
I dont wear them
20.63%
Allen4 is a putz
8.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Old 01-20-2006, 09:06 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Re: How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Doesn't this comment:
I guess you need to pay more attention to maintenance and to the boats around you, then.

I don't think i've ever been close enough to another boat at that speed that i wouldn't have been able to avoid them if they took a hook to the left. Nothing comes "out of the blue" if you're paying enough attention.
kind of fly in the face of this one?:

An old acquainance of mine had something similar happen to him at WOT in a 23 scarab with a 502. No external steering and the internal steering broke. The drive immediately swung to full lock. He wasn't wearing a life jacket or a lanyard, but he was hanging on. Bent the hell out of the throttle.
and others that share this attitude:

It's all relative and i prefer to enjoy my day on the water unencumbered by a life jacket or lanyard. If that leads to an early grave, oh well.
oh and this one:

One more thing... and it's about perception. You want people to percieve this hobby (high-performance powerboating) to be a safe activity that doesn't put anyone at risk in any significant way, and that doesn't need any special legislation to slow the boats down or limit their use. Yet when a family launching their sea-ray on the next ramp over sees your crew strap on life jackets and safety lanyards before heading out for a relaxing day on the lake, it's going to make them uneasy. "If that skipper really has control of his boat, why does he need all that safety gear? He's got a bigger, more stable boat than me and I don't need to wear all that crap. That must be an inherently dangerous vessel and or a reckless operator, and I need to do something to keep these reckless fools off my lake"....
I feel the same way when I see someone put their seatbelt on when driving a bus or truck

Dave you think maybe the family at the dock is a little more concerned about a guy that insists on leaning over at speed to grab his next frosty than the folks putting on life vests?? Huh?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Re: How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Just for snicks and giggles I've made a list of the people busting Sleeper daves chops and when I'm at the runs this year I'll see who is being holier than thou...Racegirl said it best, last time her insurance went up was because of her. I find it hard to believe that so many people are perfect in everyday life, I'm sure there are many people that still smoke even since the 1963 warnings on the packs... god forbid anyone my age or older still be alive as cars didnt have seat belts..I drank water from a hose not a plastic bottle. guess I'm just an anomally. I have personally seen some of the people on this thread run wide open in rough water with no gear on...When some of you start making the payments on Dave's boat and for everything in his life, then and only then can you tell him what to do. this is america where we have the freedom to do as we choose. Just because you have the right to say or do something doesnt make you right in saying or doing it.... I say Dave it's your boat do as you wish and accept responsibilities for your actions, isnt that what this is all about?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CMG
Doesn't this comment:

kind of fly in the face of this one?:
He needed to pay more attention to maintenance too.

After hearing him tell me about that, i wouldn't run past 40 mph w/o some redundancy in the steering. My boat has dual external hydraulic steering, and the internal steering is still hooked up and in good operational condition. The boat's in the shop right now getting all new steering lines. And all of it gets inspected every time out.

I feel the same way when I see someone put their seatbelt on when driving a bus or truck
So you don't wear a seatbelt? I can't imagine you thinking someone elses vehicle is more unsafe than yours because they employ the same safety equipment that you do...

And seat belts are an indicator of the same danger that speed limits purportedly mitigate. So you're saying you want speed limits on the water, in a roundabout way...

Dave you think maybe the family at the dock is a little more concerned about a guy that insists on leaning over at speed to grab his next frosty than the folks putting on life vests?? Huh?
He wouldn't see me lean over to grab another cold one, for two reasons. One, the launch ramp is at the sheriffs station. I at least wait until i'm out of sight to crack one. And two, if i'm on the water at speed, even if the water is smooth enough to drink a beer, i'm not going to be close enough to the other boat for him to see what i'm doing.

And i love your implication that drinking a beer = driving drunk... that's not necessarily the case (although all too often, it is, which is another good reason to stay clear of other boaters).

offshoredrillin: thank you

I don't call people pansies for wearing safety equipment, i'd prefer people not accuse me of being an irresponsible, drunken child for not wearing safety equipment. God already knows i'm not perfect, and it's not up to the rest of you to judge.

Last edited by sleeper_dave; 01-20-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:04 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am growing board with this but -

My point about your friend with lousy maintenance - he and others like him may hit you much like Bk was hit - it doesn't matter how well you take care of yours.

my point about seatbelts? I do and when I see others taking the same precaution it doesn't make me think they are going to put me in danger - on the contrary. and the drinking beer, pretty much all of us have a couple when boating you just seem to wear it as a badge of honor.

offshore , every accident on the water adds up to higher insurance costs and if someone gets thrown from their boat and injured when going fast it leads to speed limits like we are fighting in NH right now and the morons we are fighting come to OSO for ammunition for the reps so yes, I do kind of care
Old 01-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
When some of you start making the payments on Dave's boat and for everything in his life, then and only then can you tell him what to do.?
I don't think anyone on here is telling him he has to wear a pfd, but he is saying that they shouldn't be worn at all. I for one could give a husky fuk whether he wears one or not, but not wearing a lanyard puts other people at risk who aren't nearly as bad ass as SD is.

His statement that putting on pfd's and lanyards at the dock would scare other people is just ludicrous.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Insurance costs are going to go up whether there is an accident or not, they have since the insurance companies started not insuring cars with big motors back in the muscle car era. there are many tangibles that go into figuring insurance costs, speed, hp, number of claims for a person etc. My insurance is more expensive than dry pipe Neils and I"m nearly 20 years older than him and he has more hp, and we have the same boat!! it's all based upon where we live as well. thats why homes in my area are more expensive than homes in pigs knuckle oklahoma. Same as the cost of living. there are still people to this day that dont wear seatbelts and that is a LAW, do they save lives? some say yes some say no. I think everyone got so busy railing on him they lost sight of his and the threads original intent, the question was about poker runs, not every day boating. You cant legislate common sense.

I hear what you say about the oposition in speed limit laws CMG, but, you call the others morons for defending what they believe. I hope they dont get it passed but if it does does that mean they were wrong or just better prepared? the same thing happened at SML when people died, but instead of punishing the whole lake for one person's poor judgement they are holding that one guy responsible.
Quite honestly I'm not worried about some guy that has his family with him and isnt wearing a pfd, I'm more scared of the guys that dont kow how to drive their new "offshore" style boat or their 35 foot express cruiser than can just as easily hit someone.