Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many people wear life jackets during a poker run? >

How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Notices
View Poll Results: Who wears life jackets in poker runs?
I wear them, my crew does not
1.88%
Everybody in the boat wears them
69.38%
I dont wear them
20.63%
Allen4 is a putz
8.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Old 01-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

The kill switch is there. I just don't have a lanyard.

I'm 6'2" and i have a 27' Fountain. If you're that size, go sit down in that drivers seat with your knee up under the dash, then try to tell me i could get thrown out like that. Only way is if the boat flips.

If it were an 80 mph boat or if it had steps and did stupid things around turns, i might worry about it. But I fell far, far safer in my boat going 45 mph across the lake in 3 footers than i did in a 23' Sea-Ray going 18 mph in 1-2 footers. And i don't see too many people in sea-rays wearing life jackets.

I don't recall ever wearing a life jacket in the jet boat either (seadoo challenger 1800, went 50+). I wore the kill switch in that one, though.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ONESICKGLADIATOR
Hey what is a matter with being bald are you going down to Fl next week.
I am thinking about.

Rick OSG
What's up bro. We are coming down Jan 26-29th. Planning on taking a few boats out and rafting up on that Saturday if the weather is good. We'll get some bikini pics of the girls on the 45 if you can make it.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave

I'm 6'2" and i have a 27' Fountain. If you're that size, go sit down in that drivers seat with your knee up under the dash, then try to tell me i could get thrown out like that. Only way is if the boat flips.

If it were an 80 mph boat or if it had steps and did stupid things around turns, i might worry about it. But I fell far, far safer in my boat going 45 mph across the lake in 3 footers than i did in a 23' Sea-Ray going 18 mph in 1-2 footers. And i don't see too many people in sea-rays wearing life jackets.

I don't recall ever wearing a life jacket in the jet boat either (seadoo challenger 1800, went 50+). I wore the kill switch in that one, though.
Sounds like you've got it all covered!

For the record, my friend was in a 23' Larson that had a top speed of around 50 mph. I sure do miss him.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:22 AM
BK
Registered

Wow - I am so impressed by this thread - more than 75% wear a jacket ! Good deal! (just hope they are actual jackets and not the flimsy inflatable things that will shred on impact).

I too wear a jacket all times on board. But maybe its because I have been ejected out of a boat three times. Speeds of each were 50, 65 and 75.

In the 65 mph crash, I had a complete engine bracket failure that spun the boat 45 degrees in a blink of an eye. I too had my knees locked firmly inder the dash.

But the G-Forces of an immediate left hand turn at 65mph were incredible - my knee actually ripped out my steering wheel as well as the dash it was connected to - and I went cartwheeling into the water.

Water makes everything STOP real quick - everything except your body, which continues on at 65 mph an any direction it wants.

The metal that the steering wheel was mounted to was 1/4 inch aluminum, mounted on 1/2 inch fiberglass. My knee bent the metal & ripped out all of that thick glass while my body was being ejected out the side.

And I weighed only 110 pounds at that time - imagine how much more damage would have been done by a heavier person!

Too bad that people don't see 65 mph as dangerous. But sometime try sitting on the hood of a car while a friend accelerates to 65 mph. That's when you'll realize just how violent a 65 mph boat crash can be. Remember- "water" isn't the only thing you'll hit on the way out.

This happened 17 years ago - and my knee is still purple!

Bravo to all of you smart ones who are thinking ahead!

Last edited by BK; 01-13-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:29 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

even if going 60 if the boat hooked your own weight will work against you - the boat stops and you don't. Inertia's a b*tch. the ol better safe than sorry
Old 01-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I suggest then that you test your safety theory. Have a friend drive your boat WOT and jump out. See if it hurts. Make sure they know to pick you up immediately just incase the impact knocks you out cold because with no jacket, you will prolly be dead in short order from drowning.

Thinking that your knee wedged under the dash will hold you in the boat is assinine. Your leg will seperate from your body before it will restrain your body in the event of an accident.(seen it ) The bolster will tear from its mounts( seen it ) or the dash will just break away( seen it ). Thinking that you are safe because of your size and a tight seat is foolish. If it weren't for lanyards, theres a few times I could have been in some nasty trouble. I always hook mine up. Even if I'm just wearing swimming trunks, it gets fastened around my leg. If I end up in the water, I sure don't want my now un piloted boat hitting me or anyone else due to simple negligence on my part.

Accidents happen in a heart beat. Thats why we cannot avoid them. If they were all preventable, none would ever happen would they?

PS, if you are going to wear inflatables, make sure they are Ocean Class survival units with heavy webbing straps and fastners.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Registered

Check
Old 01-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Don't personally wear them but I'm contemplating getting a pair of stylish auto-inflate harness style vests. But a lanyard is a definite. Passengers are offered jackets, but if they're adults it's up to them, to each their own. Children/young teens are not allowed on my boat during a poker run or any other fast-paced, rough-water excursion. I'm not in this game to baby-sit....
Old 01-13-2006, 01:13 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

inflatables are ok but offer no benifit in regards to impact with h20
Old 01-13-2006, 01:43 PM
BK
Registered

In all my previous "ejections", I was wearing a full race jacket. This saved me from suffering some broken ribs for sure. See: http://www.lifelinejackets.com/catal..._offshore.html

Below is the kind we wear for pleasure boating (Lifeline Hi-Per Jacket)

It's not as protective and won't keep an unconsious person face-up like the full race versions do, but it does have ballistic material/zippers and strong leg straps built for impact. (It won't get pulled off when you impact the water like some others).

Whatever you wear, make sure it's built to withstand 70mph impact with water and won't shred on you when you need it most.

These are built for up to 100mph impact. We ordered ours with graphics to match our boat.

Last edited by BK; 01-13-2006 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: How many people wear life jackets during a poker run?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.