Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Yamaha and or Sea Doo Jet Boat Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/12027-yamaha-sea-doo-jet-boat-question.html)

JHR 01-16-2002 07:49 AM

Yamaha and or Sea Doo Jet Boat Question

Do any of you guys and gals own one of these as a second play toy. My boss and his wife are considering one after returning from the boat show at the Javits Center in NYC I think if I am correct they were looking at the Yamaha LX 2000 I believe its called. Any advice for them either pro or con that I might share with them
Have a good day
Jane :)

MikeStar 01-16-2002 12:23 PM

Tell'em to price insurance - I looked at one of these a while ago, and most insurance companies I talked to considered them to be 'PWCs' for insurance purposes, with the same astronomical rates. It was going to cost the same to insure a little jet boat as it did to insure my 28' Powerquest.

Food for thought...

Advantage_Rob 01-16-2002 02:55 PM

a friend of mine has a yamaha, not sure which model, but twin's in it, and alot of fun, but after the first year, the steering nozzle broke, then the exhaust loosened and both times the dealer had it for a month mid-summer, this year he noticed a few stress cracks, and they inspected it, found almost every structural part of the boat broken, had to seperate the two halves of the boat, rebuild and re-locate the stringers, and then put the top and bottom of the boat back together. All of this was done by some glass shop the dealer hired and wouldnt tell him who, and I know most of the glass shops around here and nobody had it, and he gave it to them in early june and still doesn't have it back. The thing that get me is the fact that this guy drives the thing like the biggest wus in the world, if its rough he barley gets it on plane, if its calm he goes fast, but if a boat wake comes he slows and rolls it, so how did this thing get so busted up?? That thing would be in pieces if I owned it the first day. I'd drive it like I do my jet ski's, the bigger the boat wake, the faster I hit it at!!!! Maybee a sea-doo is a better option. A friend bought a 20' sea-doo boat this spring and used it all summer and beat the snot out of it all year. So far no problems, other than stereo wires pulled off.

Jassman 01-16-2002 06:38 PM

WE HAD THE TWIN ENGINE 16' BEAT THE LIVIN CRAP OUT OF IT FOR 3 YEARS AND NOT A HULL OR ENGINE PROBLEMS. tHE ONLY PROBLEM WAS THE STORAGE BIN FASTNERS BROKE THREE TIMES, AND THE STRUT THAT HELD THE HATCH UP, AND ALL THINGS WERE OUT OF WARRANTY BUT WERE FIXED EVERYTIME. GREAT BOAT AND GREAT DEALER :D

Advantage_Rob 01-17-2002 10:13 AM

And the brand of that 16 footer was....

Drumroll please...

WHIPLASH RACING 01-17-2002 09:24 PM

Being from this industry for six years and seeing and driving most of all the Jetboats on the market. I would say go with the Yamaha. The 20 foot version with the open bow is by far the best way to go. You loose a little in speed to the xr1800. The ride qualtiy of the lx2000 is far more sturdier and more solid. The Xr 1800 is faster seats 5 passengers where the LX2000 can seat up to seven. If you plan on being in calm water go with the XR1800 for the speed thrill. If you want something for fun and more family orientated go with the LX2000. Not sure of what the promotions were at the show as our store did not want to work it for the lack of promotions. Base retail on the boat is about $19,600.00. They will probably hiit you with a freight and prep charge wich you should try to not pay. Ask them to cut it in half if you can not get them to get rid of those charges. If you have anynore ?'s on this feel free to email me at this address
[email protected]
;)

RON 01-17-2002 09:34 PM

I have a Sea-Doo Speedster (1997) Twin Eng. Jet Boat, and it is the best, if you just want to run around , jump wakes, ski, tube, Etc.
I take it out when i don't feel like hauling the Cat to the river!
They are great boats , and fast for their size (53 mph, on GPS).
I have owned mine since new , and have had only one problem that i caused myself (lack of maintenance) siezed a pump. cause i didn't change the pump oil that year!
Other than that ,they are fun as He%#!!
My insureance is not expensive ($325 a yr.)!

Good Luck
RON...