Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   whats involved with a alpha to bravo swap? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/120275-whats-involved-alpha-bravo-swap.html)

ratman 01-12-2006 06:19 PM

whats involved with a alpha to bravo swap?

im lloking at some older donzis and dont like the alpha drives as they have an aversion to the sticks and hosrepower :D so was wondering whats involed in swapping it out for a bravo. what can i expect to pay for a coplete used bravo drive and transum assm. thx ratman

plumbers crack 01-12-2006 06:48 PM

Re: whats involved with a alpha to bravo swap?

Drilling 2 extra holes for the transom plate,which you can use as a template.The hole is the same for bravo.

wrinkleface 01-12-2006 06:54 PM

Rat Dude, not 100% but if memory serves from some tech readings that only one extra hole in the transom has to be drilled and the bravo bolts right up. Again, I am not real techy! Wrink

Tinkerer 01-12-2006 07:15 PM

There might be a hight difference.
I think I read somewhere that the bravo is longer than the alpha.

caferacer 01-13-2006 08:44 AM

Easiest of all drive changes, just drill the two top holes as Crack said.I did it to a 26 Hustler with no problems at all. It was worth it just toget rid of the shift interrupt switch.
TOM

spunner 01-27-2022 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by plumbers crack (Post 1589226)
Drilling 2 extra holes for the transom plate, which you can use as a template. The hole is the same for bravo.

I know this is a very old thread, but I have the opportunity to purchase two complete bravo setups. I have researched this quite a bit, but still have not found a definitive answer. Hoping someone can shed some light. I have a 32' Pachanga and built 600HP roller 454's. It has alpha gen 1's and I know they are not gonna like it. I know the alpha gen 2 are extremely close (if not the same) as a bravo. Do I just need 2 extra holes going from a gen 1 to bravo or is there more to it? All I see is reference to "alpha" but never specifies gen 1 or gen 2. Added bonus to this - I can run one bravo in reverse to get counter rotating props :-)

Thank you in advance!

SabrToothSqrl 01-27-2022 05:20 PM

You'll also need to install raw water pumps that are belt driven for the bravo. The thermostat housing changes too I believe.

GLENAMY 242SS 01-27-2022 06:15 PM

I went from Alpha gen 1 to bravo drive.
Drill 2 bottom bolt holes 1/2" I believe
Bravo shift plate.
MAY need new shift cable, older style transom end on Alphas
Raw water pump with bracket.
3 grove pulley set. Crank/recirculating water pump.
New v-belts
New raw water hoses (transom to raw water pump and raw pump to oil cooler).
That should about do it..
I think this is close to the list.
Check here on OSO with sickstinger (Mike Mellow) for the parts you need)

tmmii 01-27-2022 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by spunner (Post 4819576)
I know this is a very old thread, but I have the opportunity to purchase two complete bravo setups. I have researched this quite a bit, but still have not found a definitive answer. Hoping someone can shed some light. I have a 32' Pachanga and built 600HP roller 454's. It has alpha gen 1's and I know they are not gonna like it. I know the alpha gen 2 are extremely close (if not the same) as a bravo. Do I just need 2 extra holes going from a gen 1 to bravo or is there more to it? All I see is reference to "alpha" but never specifies gen 1 or gen 2. Added bonus to this - I can run one bravo in reverse to get counter rotating props :-)

Thank you in advance!

The outer plates for bravo and gen 2 have the same part number. Same holes.

speicher lane 01-27-2022 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by spunner (Post 4819576)

Thank you in advance!

What was the life span of an Alpha spinning on a 600hp roller engine in a 'changa?
Alpha's (let alone the coupler) should explode getting on plane as the Pachanga wasn't the lightest of boats... similar to a warhorse Apace with 1000's and a B1 taped to the transom