Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Yamaha and or Sea Doo Jet Boat Question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/12028-yamaha-sea-doo-jet-boat-question.html)

JHR 01-16-2002 07:49 AM

Yamaha and or Sea Doo Jet Boat Question

Do any of you guys and gals own one of these as a second play toy. My boss and his wife are considering one after returning from the boat show at the Javits Center in NYC I think if I am correct they were looking at the Yamaha LX 2000 I believe its called. Any advice for them either pro or con that I might share with them
Have a good day
Jane :)

euby 01-16-2002 08:17 AM

more lake lice! eeeeewwww :D

Iggy 01-16-2002 08:35 AM

euby,
She's not looking to buy a jet-ski. She's looking at the 16-18 foot jet boats.

Sorry Jane, I have no info on them.
The only thing I can say is that several of my friends have Yamaha Jet-ski's and have had trouble getting warrenty service. A few others have Sea-Doo's and they seem to require more maintenance.
I have a pair of Polaris SL750's and they run forever.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Iggy ]

Sydwayz 01-16-2002 09:29 AM

The model you mention is actually a 20 foot boat, with I beleive twin 135HP motors in it. They are fun boats, but some people get carried away on them. It all depends on how they will operate it, but they can break down as often as jet-skiis. Some people like to operate them just like a jet-ski, and they in turn become hurt or killed, and often cut in front of the rest of us, and yes, this happens a lot. If I were investing that kind of money in something to be a fun run-about, and pull skiers, I think I would go for a real boat, something in the same size range. If they want ease of mainenance, just go for an outboard motor option. If they are operating in bodies of water with someone sketchy bottoms, (i.e. some shoals, rocks, and shallow spots), maybe I would look into the jetboat. Not that the jet boat will not get into trouble when it does hit these things, but it will hit less than a traditional prop boat, since it has a less of a draft, (less actual boat extending into the water).

Brian

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Sydwayz23 ]

euby 01-16-2002 09:29 AM

i rode in one of those little jets one time...alot of fun! i own a 23' jet and its fun to run :D

Raypanic 01-16-2002 09:56 AM

I looked at both, I liked the yamaha twin engines and more HP. None of them have a very good resale market. You may want to look for used ones for real cheap I decided on spending more money and bought a 23' eliminator with a 454Mag instead. I raced a Yamaha last summer it was the 1800 with I think the twin 135's I walked buy him at about 70Mph and later he came up and said he thought "He" had the fastest boat on the lake until he seen me. hehehe.

For 20K it's not a bad deal but I wanted more. You also have to concider the fact that they are jets and do suck up weeds and stuff too which even with the clean out system and access you really need get under the boat to remove them all the way.

puder 01-16-2002 11:00 PM

they are toys not boats. There are plenty of punks around who buy them and thignk they have an offshre boats becuase it seats a few people and are fast. They they hual ass into decent chop and get tossed. Theya re fast in flat water but once it kicks up you have to go slow due to the light waverunneresque layup and shallow v.