Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake Winnipesaukee races, what happened? >

Lake Winnipesaukee races, what happened?

Notices

Lake Winnipesaukee races, what happened?

Old 01-16-2002, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Post Lake Winnipesaukee races, what happened?

I was wondering why they stopped the offshore racing on lake Winni. We went every year and all the racers seemed to really like the site. I know a lot of people who would love to see them return.
Kurt.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was a great site but very hard to get to for the bigger boats. If you wanted to go by the books and get a permit, you were out of luck, or at least that is what we were told by our permit company.

Just my thoughts, but if the money was right and a "parade" al la Key West were organized with one way traffic on a particular day, maybe that would work.

It needs a strong local promoter who has the connections to make at least a regional race happen. That, you will find, is asking a lot.

We would go in a heartbeat if there was an APBA sanctioned event.

Ted
Old 01-16-2002, 09:25 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Kurt when I talked to the guys and Silver Sands Marina they said that they lost Compac (sp) computers as a sponsor. That was the big one so the rest I guess fell apart after that. It was a good race and a bummer it is gone.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:34 AM
Registered

Unfortunately guys - to put on a race you need sponsor $$$$$$$$. No Sponsor $$$$$$$ no race.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Registered

Sponsor money was the root of teh problem!
Old 01-16-2002, 03:10 PM
KN
Registered

So how much does it cost to have a APBA national or regional event? This was a great place to have a race. Does the APBA have any info available as to how much money a national race generates in revenue to the surroundind communities.

Kirk
Old 01-16-2002, 06:27 PM
Registered

To produce a National Event - figure you need about $100k.

Divisional race can be run for $15k. $25k for more prize money to attract teams.

As for dollars generated.......I varies per site based on what each site offers.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:06 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

The final race of my short racing career was in Lake Winni under the US Offshore banner in 1996. Personally I loved the little town and the people were real nice but I hate flat water races and the viewing from land was non existant. The race course was in the middle of the lake and you either needed to pay to get on the big cruise ship that was used for a turn boat or you needed your own boat. I will say that there must have been 2000 spectator boats on the water and the big ship was packed.

Maybe putting a piston through the head while 50 feet behind the leader put me in a bad mood. Not sure.

Funny story, Will Smith (owner of Phantom and my navigator and crew chief)finished putting the motors back in the boat on Wed afternoon. There was a problem and out they came. He got the parts and had it back together by Thurs night. He left Sarasota FL on Thurs night at 10 pm and the race was in NH at noon on Sat. He and one other driver dragged Mr Technology into the hotel parking lot at 5am Sat morning. By 2pm the boat was back on the trailer and headed back to Sarasota.

NO ONE that I have ever met is as into Offshore Powerboat racing as much as Will. He is a wonderful honest person I am proud to call him a friend. If you ever need a laugh or a quote on a new Phantom, give him a call.

Tell him that Ron sent ya.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:39 PM
KN
Registered

Hey Ron

I met Will in 1997 at the Worlds in Mississippi, really nice guy. I also talked to him about a Factory 1 race boat. At one of the races in New Hampshire wasn't the Mr. Technology boat stolen? That is a great boat. I thought I read somewhere they are rigging it for Super Vee for this year. I hope so, someone needs to run against the Fountains.

Kirk
Old 01-17-2002, 12:36 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Yup, the following year it was stolen out of the pits. They got 20 miles away and ran the trailer fender into a toll booth and blew a tire. They pulled over and left her on the shoulder.

Jeff owns her now and is rerigging for the new Super V light class with HP 500s and bravos. We had 5s on it.

It should do really well in that class.
pics are on this page.
Mr T. Pics