Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Engine Opinions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/120332-engine-opinions.html)

chrisf 01-13-2006 01:16 PM

Engine Opinions

As you might know from previous posts, I am looking to upgrade to a Baja/Powerquest/Checkmate offshore 23-28' with a Deep V deadrise in the next 3-12 months. I am taking the suggestions on this board to heart that I get the biggest boat/engine I can afford now, so as not to do this all over again a couple of years from now.

That being said, I am limiting my engine choices to:
<2001 454 Mag or 502 Mag
>2001 496 Mag or HO

Take the HO out of the equation because it will probably not fit my budget.

Four questions on these engines:

Opinions on reliability / bulletproofness. Assume REQUIRED maintenance, nothing more. I am not a motorhead, so keep that in mind. Everything would go through a Mercruiser certified mechanic. Which is the most reliable? Which is the cheapest to maintain.

Opinions on gas mileage. Obviously newer technology is more efficient, so I cannot just add up cubic inches and determine from there. Which is the best bang for the gas buck?

Opinions on Closed/Open Cooling. Confirm that of the three, the 496 has closed cooling. Keep in mind that flushing has never been a big deal to me, I do it while washing the boat anyway. But on the 496, don't you have to flush out the heat exchanger every so often? Wont' that build up salt if not maintained? On the 454/502 Mag, does it just use earmuffs, or is something proprietary used to flush?

Opinions on exhaust sound. Ia m going to go choice exhaust no matter what. But what engine/exhaust tip combo sounds the MEATIEST? I do not mean the loudest, but the deepest if that makes sense.

I appreciate the help as always!

Chris

BajaRunner 01-13-2006 01:32 PM

Re: Engine Opinions

whats your budget?

chrisf 01-13-2006 01:39 PM

Bajarunner

$25K-45K depending on the Model/year/engine

Leaning towards Bajas honestly, more available on West Coast. Preferable 252 perf or 272 perf. Perfection would be a clean >2001 232 with 496 or 1997-99 272 perf with 502 Mag.

Need the windshield for the wife, Outlaw is not an option.

Chris

BajaRunner 01-13-2006 01:41 PM

my 29 is right outside your budget, but its a lot of boat for the money. you should have no problem getting a 252 or 272 in that price range.

CMG 01-13-2006 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by chrisf
As you might know from previous posts, I am looking to upgrade to a Baja/Powerquest/Checkmate offshore 23-28' with a Deep V deadrise in the next 3-12 months. I am taking the suggestions on this board to heart that I get the biggest boat/engine I can afford now, so as not to do this all over again a couple of years from now.

That being said, I am limiting my engine choices to:
<2001 454 Mag or 502 Mag
>2001 496 Mag or HO

Take the HO out of the equation because it will probably not fit my budget.

Four questions on these engines:

Opinions on reliability / bulletproofness. Assume REQUIRED maintenance, nothing more. I am not a motorhead, so keep that in mind. Everything would go through a Mercruiser certified mechanic. Which is the most reliable? Which is the cheapest to maintain.

Opinions on gas mileage. Obviously newer technology is more efficient, so I cannot just add up cubic inches and determine from there. Which is the best bang for the gas buck?

Opinions on Closed/Open Cooling. Confirm that of the three, the 496 has closed cooling. Keep in mind that flushing has never been a big deal to me, I do it while washing the boat anyway. But on the 496, don't you have to flush out the heat exchanger every so often? Wont' that build up salt if not maintained? On the 454/502 Mag, does it just use earmuffs, or is something proprietary used to flush?

Opinions on exhaust sound. Ia m going to go choice exhaust no matter what. But what engine/exhaust tip combo sounds the MEATIEST? I do not mean the loudest, but the deepest if that makes sense.

I appreciate the help as always!

Chris

Lot of questions and will get lot of opinions - I say the lower the horsepower the longer the life / lower maintenance / lower fuel consumption (always depends on how hard you run).
I LOVE fresh water cooling, flushing is OK but pails in comparison.

and by the way - if your looking to save money the word boat shouldn't even be in your vocabulary!!!

JUKED YOU 01-13-2006 02:02 PM

chrisf - This boat is in your price range and seems to be what you are looking for. Please let me know if you need additional pics/information. - Andrew

2000 Baja 272

chrisf 01-13-2006 02:46 PM

Andrew,

What do you think it would cost to ship from Wisconsin to Los Angeles?

I hear $1.25, $1.50, $2.50, $3.00 per mile, so I have no clue what is real.

Chris

JUKED YOU 01-13-2006 03:41 PM

chris, shipping would be in the ballpark of $3500 to your doorstep. its 2,070 miles from here so it breaks down to about $1.70/mi. keep in mind this is a ballpark figure without talking to our transporter. I will work on getting some more pictures. - Andrew

chrisf 01-13-2006 04:42 PM

CMG,

Do you flush the heat exchanger every so often if you boat in salt water?

How does that work on a trailerable boat. I am familiar with big boats that have seacocks to heat exchangers. Does the intake come through the drive or is there a seperate seacock in the hull for the closed cooling.

For 454/502 Mags, do standard ear muffs work, or is there a seperate intake for flushing on these engines

Forgive my ignorance, it just seems to me that my current 5L V8 is @ 1/2 the horspower, so the bigger engines seem to need more flow than the stern drive will allow.

Educate me!

Chris

JS232 01-13-2006 05:25 PM

Go for the 496HO, should be the more reliable and efficient engine of the lot...

You should find some nice 272-275 with 496HO's in the 40-50 000$ range (2001 and UP)

Good luck :drink: