MIAMI VICE BLUES - some stuff for enthusiasts

Notices

MIAMI VICE BLUES - some stuff for enthusiasts

Old 01-17-2006, 03:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: MIAMI VICE BLUES - some stuff for enthusiasts

Originally Posted by BigDadys93x
The accual "Vice Scarab" was at the 1000 islands poker run about 3 years ago and I believe it is still in the 1000 islands (upstate NY for those who dont know) sitting on a trailer. Every oncein a while I would see it out in the water with its new owner. The last time I saw it on the trailer I believe it had TR drives but not sure what power it had.
Actually there was at least 4 Scarabs used in the series, some say 6.
One of the Boats is in Finland ,the stunt boat which is reinforced and used on the third season hull is a 1987, the Camera boat in Norway a 1986 (?), one later still boat from 1989 in Germany and the most filmed boat along with the stunt is in upstate NY and restored, 1986 too.
The stunt boat was painted like the 1988 later paint scheme for the show.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 01-17-2006 at 03:15 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is my old boat!!!
i was running the Pier 33 Poker runs back in the early days

I loved this boat
Attached Thumbnails MIAMI VICE BLUES - some stuff for enthusiasts-38scar%7E1-share-size.jpg   MIAMI VICE BLUES - some stuff for enthusiasts-scarab-pier-33-poker-run.jpg   MIAMI VICE BLUES - some stuff for enthusiasts-poekerun_edited.jpg  

Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my fix for my Miami Vice blues. Former stunt boat for the show 88/89 season. About to go in the shop for some mechanical and paint work at end of month. Can't wait for the summertime to be here again in the east.
Attached Thumbnails MIAMI VICE BLUES - some stuff for enthusiasts-c8_12_b.jpg   MIAMI VICE BLUES - some stuff for enthusiasts-flowers005.jpg   MIAMI VICE BLUES - some stuff for enthusiasts-boat.jpg  

Old 01-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Actually there was at least 4 Scarabs used in the series, some say 6.
One of the Boats is in Finland ,the stunt boat which is reinforced and used on the third season hull is a 1987, the Camera boat in Norway a 1986 (?), one later still boat from 1989 in Germany and the most filmed boat along with the stunt is in upstate NY and restored, 1986 too.
The stunt boat was painted like the 1988 later paint scheme for the show.
That's pretty much on que. There were at least 4 38 KV's used, I've heard the number 6 too but I think 4 or 5 is more accurate. Calling Wellcraft to get HIN's didn't work for me as I've tried a couple of times. I've even emailed Universal Studios, but they haven't been that responsive. I just don't think that they kept the records for the show like that.

A little known fact is that There were also 2 21' Scarab I's used (I have one of them). It's sister ship is down in Felordia, pretty beat up, not even sure if it's "seaworthy" anymore or not. George Barris had some input on the designs of these boats, more than likely a consultant. Anyway, just wanted to add this to my post from above.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Registered

Wellcraft verified my friends boat as being sold to Universal and while we refurbished it we found under the clear laminate a note from the workers at Wellcraft reading: "This boat is built for Don Johnson" also has a brass plaque stating almost the same but don´t now if it was an option for the MV Edition.
Ironic in the boats saga is that the Local IRS has confiscated it twice from the same owner and Ex-ski jumper Matti Nykänen rented it for one summer and using it in a Lake.
Also heard it got stolen once plus it has been involved in a chase while outrunning the local coastguard and police one night...in fact the owner got cought while I woke up to it blasting up a no wake river next to my house and informed about it.
Guy got cought while driving under influence.
*Was better rather that way than getting shot....

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 01-18-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Registered

I took one of them on trade back in '92. The original paint scheme was painted over in a two tone gray. It was going to be used as the DEA's boat in the movie they never made.
The guy I sold it to repainted it again in white with some teal green graphics. It's called Thunder Struck. He still has it and runs it on the Mississippi River on the Alton Pool outside of St. Louis.
I was told at the time there were 6 boats. They had Merc 370's and TRS drives, ran around 60MPH.

My favorite, although a little far fetched, episode was the race to Bimini and back. Sonny was late for the start because "we had to bolt a turbo to the mill".
TS
Old 01-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Registered

If I remember right they also showed the engine bay and yes the boat had Gentry turbos there.
But if memory serves correctly it´s a Stinger in that episode which is the great McCarthy from season one.
*have to check them as I have the season 1 on DVD
But the Scarab 38KV Mv editions had 420´s stock and that´s what the stunt boat had and it ran 62 mph with them.

Are you sure it was a TV boat or just a MV edition ?

And If I´m not mistaken the line went "we had to bolt Gentry Turbos to the mill"

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 01-18-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Registered

Haven't seen the episode since the 80's so we'll need to verify the actual line. But I remember laughing at it because it was as if they did it that morning for a little extra HP. I was pretty sure he said "a turbo" but maybe someone can find out.
On that boat I sold I had the original registration from the studio.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm
Old 10-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Vice and seeing offshore races as a child in the 80's began my love for powerboats! I even built the Vice boat model haha.

Quick Reply: MIAMI VICE BLUES - some stuff for enthusiasts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.