Notices

Kerr Lake

Old 01-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Kerr Lake

Is anyone familiar with the speed boating on Kerr Lake on the NC/ Virginia Border??
Old 01-18-2006, 10:19 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Re: Kerr Lake

? Speed boating? Are you asking if there are performance boats, or if there is speed limit?
A few friends go there occasionally but I don't recall many go-fasts. My father fishes bass tournaments there and they run over 80 regularly (no speed limits)
Hopefully someone more local can chime in for you.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Ditto with what t500hps said. My neighbor used to take his 80 MPH Bass boat down there.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kerr I is OK, I don't think it is very developed usually if someone makes a trip to this area they just go to Smith Mountain Lake.

WILL
Old 01-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Guys. We are looking at relocating to the Lake Norman area and Kerr lake looked like it might be worth a trailering trip.
I understand it is about 3hrs away.

Last edited by TomR; 01-18-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by TomR
Thanks Guys. We are looking at relocating to the Lake Norman area and Kerr lake looked like it might be worth a trailering trip.
I understand it is about 3hrs away.
Lake Norman is GREAT, very developed and gets busy on holidays and weekends. Several nice resturants and a few bars. Good ramps!

Kerr is also a very nice lake. I have only been on it once about five years ago and it is big and deep, but as mentioned above it is not developed. A great trip if you want to relax away from a crowd.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
Kerr I is OK, I don't think it is very developed usually if someone makes a trip to this area they just go to Smith Mountain Lake.

WILL
Hey Will, how's it going?

The wife and me had dinner last Friday night with a lot of boating buddies in the Winston area and a guy with a "Yellow" cat was talking trash about you!

Dock
Old 01-18-2006, 03:18 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 27Fountain

WILL
Kerr lake is one of the lakes that the Corp of Engineers owns somewhere around 50% of the water front property. They also own all the land up to the 320 ft above sea level mark and allow the lake level to fluctuate as much as 30 foot during the year. I asked my father about it and he knows several people with waterfront lots that cannot see the water. Because of the water level changes, floating docks are required. Some areas on the NC side are populated but alot of the waterfront will probably never be developed.

A buddy of his I know likes to fish one particular cove but has to squeeze under a small bridge to get back there. One trip back there the water was high and he was watching for that bridge to appear. WHAM! he hit something and came to a complete stop......his motor hit the guardrail on that bridge!!!! If the watermark is at 295 or better you'll be good, anything less and be very very careful and the ramps start getting hard to use. Over 300, the water gets up into the trees.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several boats from the Richmond area go to Kerr lake. We plan on going a couple times this summer. I talked to Cignificant a couple of days ago and he has plans to be there for Memorial day weekend. Sometimes the weather can be iffy around then. If the forcast looks decent, I may go down for that weekend, also.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they have hydroplane racing there in late summer early fall, along with crackerbox class's

Quick Reply: Kerr Lake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.