Notices

Awesome cat on Ebay

Old 01-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Awesome cat on Ebay

Originally Posted by Payton
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/38-Aw...QQcmdZViewItem

The ad is for an Awesome 38 cat with 502s and #5 drives. Sounds bullit proof, but what was the deal with Awesome? Are they building boats again? I thought there was some problems and they were gone.
Also, with 502s they claim 100mph. That seems a little optimistic to me.
What should it sell for?
Payton, I don't know Ebay that well, so I will ask the question. Can you email the seller and ask a question regarding the boat while the bidding is still active? Rather than point fingers and start something, it is best that you get the hull I.D. number from THAT boat FIRST. It may reveal somethings more then the ad has listed. Also, is the seller actually the owner? If not, who is the legal owner?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

??? I'm confused. Are you asking me if I am pointing fingers or why I didn't ask the seller this question on Ebay?
If you are or know the seller then you know that OSO is great exposer for any boat you are selling.
I met Marie Awsome ( her OSO name) at the Miami boat show 3 years ago. She seemed like a very nice woman and I loved the cat that they had at the show. I was disapointed when I heard they were closing up and was going to wish them well if they were back in business.
If there is a new owner of Awesome Powerboats, lets hear about/from him. Let us see what he is selling. I'd like to wish him well also.

added: Yes you can email the seller,even now after the auction is closed.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Payton
??? I'm confused. Are you asking me if I am pointing fingers or why I didn't ask the seller this question on Ebay?
If you are or know the seller then you know that OSO is great exposer for any boat you are selling.
I met Marie Awsome ( her OSO name) at the Miami boat show 3 years ago. She seemed like a very nice woman and I loved the cat that they had at the show. I was disapointed when I heard they were closing up and was going to wish them well if they were back in business.
If there is a new owner of Awesome Powerboats, lets hear about/from him. Let us see what he is selling. I'd like to wish him well also.

added: Yes you can email the seller,even now after the auction is closed.
Payton, No, I was not asking (nor implying) you if you are pointing fingers. Sorry, I was referring to myself only.

I agree, both Jim and Marie are very nice people. Treated me fairly and did everything they said they would do. But, history being what it is, they closed the doors in about June of 2004. Facts being what they are, the very last completed boat built at Awesome was WARCAT. A 38' Signature Cat, titled to the best of my knowledge as a 2004 hull. (see the attached pic showing WARCAT during it's build process. My boat was sitting next to it at the time)

See my point on why you should see the hull I.D. on the ebay boat claiming it is a 2005?

When you mentioned the Miami show, what year did you meet them? 2003? If so, was the show boat in their booth a 31 Thundercat? Just curious.

The new owner has given all indications that he wants to not only restore the Awesome cats back into the market, but make whatever necessary changes/upgrades to better the end product. Give him a shout. He is a great guy to talk to.
Truly hope you find the right boat you are looking for.

Last edited by ROTAX454; 08-06-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

I am trying to remember, 03 or 04.... I know it was on Valentines Day. I got a phone call from my wife thanking me for some flowers while I was talking to her. I think it was a 31, but I wasn't positive. So I didn't mention the model in my post. The summer before that we saw a beautifull 38 in the Chicago poker run that, unfortunatly hit something going into New Buffalo harbor.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Registered

Payton, If my memory serves me well, the last time Awesome was represented in Miami was the 03 show. I remember talking to Jim about the 04 show and his no-show. The 31 shown at the 03 Miami was the new boat just build for the owner that had sold me his (soon to be) previous 31 in May of 03.

I am looking forward to meeting Dan (the new owner of Awesome) this summer. Perhaps I will see you this summer too driving an Awesome?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

I'm not really boat shopping. I've got a 34 Super Hawaii now that I am very happy with. I've just always liked the Awesome 38. I think that would be a good any weather boat on Lake Michigan.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:29 AM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome Lives! Dan Mintz is the new owner and will breath new life into the Brand name- The Boats were built heavy and strong so a little slower but safer than a Skater. MY 31 has the same tunnel as Chris Cat. I rebuilt my 97 wuth new power and drives to break 120 if possible- will know next month-
Old 02-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why do you think they are safer then a Skater My impression from reading about Skater was you would be hard press to find a better company for laying up hulls?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Registered

I think he means that since its much slower than skater its safer?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jryan26
I think he means that since its much slower than skater its safer?
lol.
In a cat, balance is more important then overall weight. A lighter properly balanced boat is much safer then a heavier unbalanced boat.

Quick Reply: Awesome cat on Ebay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.