Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   POLL: Insurance (problem) ....everybody please read (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/120836-poll-insurance-problem-everybody-please-read.html)

Semper Fi 01-19-2006 02:55 PM

POLL: Insurance (problem) ....everybody please read

I just sold my Powerplay :drink: and I cancelled my insurance for the boat today. The insurance co I have (one of the big names) is charging me 10% because I am not insuring another boat right away---I have to decide on what to buy next.

I really think this is unfair and B.S., but I don't know if this is typical or not. I feel that if they charge me the 10%, they won't get my business again.

BBB725 01-19-2006 02:56 PM

Re: POLL: Insurance (problem) ....everybody please read

Charging 10% of what?

pstorti 01-19-2006 02:58 PM

which company?

Dean Ferry 01-19-2006 03:03 PM

SF,
Congrats on selling your boat! :D And you are right, that is BS!! :mad: I'm only insuring my Velocity, (Which will be for sale here shortly) @ 3 months @ a time.
Who is the insurance co?
Dean

JS232 01-19-2006 03:11 PM

Was it written on your contract?

The answer is there...

Some small characters can become a pain in the @#$%... :(

OldSchool 01-19-2006 03:19 PM

Years ago, I sold a boat and cancelled my policy from Allstate. I was about 5 months into the policy, but that 5 months was the winter. I think that I got about 12% of the $$ back!!! What are you going to do??? :rolleyes: I guess if it wasn't structured like that, everyone would cancell after 6 months of boating every year and get 1/2 of their money back!! :D :D

yeehaw 01-19-2006 03:26 PM

OldSchool - What is wrong with that? You should only have to pay for what you use.

CigDaze 01-19-2006 03:47 PM

I don't get it.

Usually when I cancel insurance, I get a check back for any unused premiums.

Semper Fi 01-19-2006 03:51 PM

UPDATE:

The 10% is a fee charged on what the balance is that they owe me. (returned premium) I guess it's not too bad, but still another speedbump!!
I am paying alot for insurance though. The boat was a 1997 PP with HP500's. No layup in the policy, $85K agreed value+ value of trailer, no claims..ever, and I was paying $2,500 a year. I think that was high.

Ron P 01-19-2006 03:58 PM

Almost like BMW charging a fee to turn in the vehicle once the lease is over. :mad:

Just a final screw as a way to say goodbye. I guess they don't get much repeat business. :rolleyes:

Congrats on selling your boat. Where did it find a new home? :drink: