Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Kid things do's & don'ts LOTO (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/121102-kid-things-dos-donts-loto.html)

tlark 01-23-2006 10:18 AM

Kid things do's & don'ts LOTO

Some of you already are aware that I have bought a 330SS w/496mags. The KC boat show is comming up this weekend and the wife and I were thinking about picking up some water toys for the lake. I have enough common sense to know I won't even try pulling a skier behind this thing, but I would like to know if I could pull a water sled or whatever you call them, or perhaps a large tube (etc). I'm not talking about busting kids at 30mph over a wake here on the main channel or high traffic areas. I know better than that....

Something at a reasonable cruising speed for kids 8 to 12 years old. I have seen it done behind some of the cruisers yet I have no idea at what speed they were going. It looks pretty safe b/c your inside the wake of the boat where the water is smoother, yet they can get bounced around if I choose. Educate me on this subject, is it reasonable to do and what speed do these things operate at ? Any recommendations.

rdoactive 01-23-2006 11:02 AM

Re: Kid things do's & don'ts LOTO

For the price of gas that boat will burn pulling the kids around 1 weekend, you could probably buy a good used PWC.
Honestly, consider a PWC if you're going to be pulling kids around on a water toy in a cove. The wakes you'll make with that boat in a cove will have the neighbors shooting at you.
Gary

Dave M 01-23-2006 11:27 AM

Check this thing out!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ight=manta+ray

bobonthis 01-23-2006 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by rdoactive
For the price of gas that boat will burn pulling the kids around 1 weekend, you could probably buy a good used PWC.
Honestly, consider a PWC if you're going to be pulling kids around on a water toy in a cove. The wakes you'll make with that boat in a cove will have the neighbors shooting at you.
Gary

Exactly!! :D Not a real good idea to be kicking up a wake in a cove with a cruiser, that is why you see most of them draging ski boats and jet-ski's or sea-doos. About the only place to pull kids around with a cruiser would be the main channel on the weekdays but I would suggest to not do it in any coves.

tlark 01-23-2006 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by tlark
I'm not talking about busting kids at 30mph over a wake here on the main channel or high traffic areas. I know better than that....

Let me clarfy this, when I say "main channel/high traffic" thats with respect to those known areas. No coves.... I'm talking about main channel away from those areas perhaps. LOTO folk know those places. You can cruise farther up the main channel or week days w/o concerns. Heck I have seen folks running with those hot dog looking things behind a cruiser from the dam to the 25mm on Sat. w/o probs. I just don't know if I feel comfortable with that with these kids yet.

Steve_H 01-23-2006 12:42 PM

i dont think you will any problems if you take them out in the morning (before 11:00 am). also, from the dam to the 6mm isnt to bad even in the afternoon.

GregP 01-23-2006 12:45 PM

We used to pull a tube (for adults, no kids then) and experienced skiiers with the Donzi Z-29. Never tried it with the Formula 402. Did tubes and our manta ray thing (smaller than the one in the other link) again last yearwith the 32 Scorpion cc (daughter and friends are now 10). The Scorpion actually does it pretty well with the motors in and tabs down at about 20 mph. I have no idea how much gas any of them used, and I really don't want to know either.

-Greg

rdoactive 01-23-2006 01:09 PM

Honestly, I dont think it's a good idea tp pull anyone behind a big boat, especially on LOTO. Big boats obstuct the view of a lot of space behind a cruiser. I've been driving my 42' cruiser down there for 11 years, and every weekend an oncoming boat or PWC turns right in behind me to jump, or cut, my wake. I definitely would not want to towing someone back there.
I've also seen a couple PWCs towed behind cruisers that were hit this way. And they are probably more visible than kids in a tube.

HiPerf2000 01-23-2006 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by rdoactive
Honestly, I dont think it's a good idea tp pull anyone behind a big boat, especially on LOTO. Big boats obstuct the view of a lot of space behind a cruiser. I've been driving my 42' cruiser down there for 11 years, and every weekend an oncoming boat or PWC turns right in behind me to jump, or cut, my wake. I definitely would not want to towing someone back there.
I've also seen a couple PWCs towed behind cruisers that were hit this way. And they are probably more visible than kids in a tube.

Good Advice!!! Never thought about that.

tlark 01-23-2006 04:16 PM

Thank you.....I hadn't considered those few idiots on PWC's. I too have observed there wake jumping. After you guys raise this point I am surprised how many I have seen doing this on the main channel. I guess I need to reconsider and consider a PWC.