Notices

Vinyl graphic removing

Old 01-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vinyl graphic removing

If you still have clear coat on your boat it won't be an issue.

Originally Posted by TeamTaboo
Do not use brake cleaner it will remove the paint also
Old 01-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Good luck Mike! Here is my old one 30 years ago

L.S.
Attached Thumbnails Vinyl graphic removing-magnum2.jpg   Vinyl graphic removing-magnum3.jpg   Vinyl graphic removing-magnumcorvette.jpg  

Old 01-23-2006, 07:20 PM

When I worked in the body shop we would use a salamander heater to warm whole side of car.Get an edge started with two guys,''4 hands are better than 2''and would usually come off pretty good.Use plastic razor blade and Du Ponts 3812 enamel reducer or another ''alkid'' enamel reducer.This reducer will make glue gum up when you scrap with plastic razor and will not hurt the paint.Then buff, if it is clear coat it should look like new.If not cleared your buffer will turn the color of boat.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Whenever we needed to remove stickers on the race boat we always used a heat gun to warm them up and then just peeled them off with our fingers. When we bought the Apache it had vinyl graphics all over it that we had removed while the boat was at Martin Offshore. To the best of my knowledge they also used only a heat gun and their fingers to removed the graphics. After the vinyl was gone they followed up with a polishing compound, a lighter polish and then several coats of wax. The results turned out pretty well.

There is also something out there called "Sticker Off" that breaks down the glue and makes it easier to get the stickers off. I don't know where it comes from, but our local vinyl sticker guy uses it. I will ask him where it comes from when I see him. Meanwhile, maybe an Internet search will yield some results.
Attached Thumbnails Vinyl graphic removing-1.jpg   Vinyl graphic removing-2.jpg   Vinyl graphic removing-3.jpg  

Old 01-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by masher44
Just removed mine from the side of the boat.... I used a heat gun and peeled it off and then rubbed with WD-40 and a plastic scraper (actually an old credit card) to get the adhesive off. I left the deck graphics on because I was afraid there would be too much fading around it but the sides came out nice....

It is MUCH easier with two people and 4 hands tugging on the vinyl

this method has always worked the best for me....
Old 01-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks yall for your input

jr mike
Old 01-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Registered

i was told today by local shop that the best way to have this done is take off the vinyl is to take them off and then have the boat wet sand and buff and then wax so that there won't be a color difference from the rest of the hull. what's yall input on that ? thanks in advance

jr mike
Old 01-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Registered

That's 100% correct. Remove all the vinyl and sticker residue followed by wet/dry sanding (depending on preference) and finally buff/wax. If the area under the vinyl is not raised or does not require sanding to match the rest of the hull, just compound and wax and be done with it.

Dan
Old 01-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Registered

what do yall advise to use to take off the glue that will stay on the hull once i take out the vinyl

jr mike
Old 01-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Registered

If you use a stripe removal wheel it removes the glue too. If you heat gun it off use 3M's adhesive remover.

Quick Reply: Vinyl graphic removing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.