Stereo Systems in your boats!!!! >

Stereo Systems in your boats!!!!

Notices

Stereo Systems in your boats!!!!

Old 01-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stereo Systems in your boats!!!!

Here's what I run in my boat, give me your opinion byc.
6 Focal Utopia 8 ohm mids,
6 Focal tweeters with 18 db crossovers made with poly caps, coils and resistors. The crossovers were set up by a audiophile that specializes in home audio and can here things that I can't, sometimes you have to make a notch filter to get the sound correct. I run the phase on the tweeters reversed because of the close placement to the mids. Some of you might understand this, most wont.
4 Alpine type r 12's in sealed boxes. The Alpines aren't the most expensive speakers but they are durable and create alot of spl for my application. I like the tighter sound of sealed speakers, ported raises the db by 3 (doubling the sound) but the speakers cannot handle the same amount of power and wouldn't hold up to the constant beating they take.
For amps, I run a 800 watt 4 channel fosgate power amp on two of the mids bridged. Since they are only at 8 ohms, they still get over 350 watts each which is more than enough power for them. By reducing the ohm load you actually get a cleaner sound without working the amp as hard, and creating less distortion and heat.
The other two mids run in series at 4 ohms on a two channel 800 watt Fosgate amp. Same theory as above on the ohm load but since this is a two channel amp 4 ohms basically has the same effect as the four channel amp bridged.
The subs run off a Fosgate 1501bd mono amp. They have dual 4 ohm voice coils giving you 8 ohms per speaker and a total of 2 ohms at the amp. The subs are in the engine compartment so that they bounce around before you here or feel them. I usually have to lift my hatch 8 or ten inches for optimum sound. If you've ever fired subs at the back of an suv or at a window in a hatch back you would understand why subs sound better rolling off another surface before you here them.
The Focal's are great mids, in fact I would argue some of the best sounding mids ever made. At 1k per set or more with tweeters and crossovers they aren't cheap.
I would bet my 6 mids and 4 subs would be as loud and clear as just about any stereo you could fit into the space of a boat cockpit. It may be hard to believe for some but you get what you pay for in audio and I would bet my six mids cost as much as all the speakers in that boat.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

that is a nice system, back in 90 or 91 I was using focal speakers in my cars, I used the focal ti120tio2 tweeter but I used the eton 7" mid instead of the focal, dont get me wrong the focal is a nice mid too, but after testing them both the eton's had advantage's. yours is probably one of the best sounding and loudest boats out there, but I will still stand by my original post on that I can put a pair of speakers in a boat and make it as loud as any boat out there and sound better then most.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:16 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

I've never heard the Eton's, maybe when I wear out a set of mine I'll try some.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

BadKachina,
You lost me at notch filters.........
Old 01-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Registered

the eton was a really high end speaker back in the day. I have not even looked for them in the past 6 or 7 years but back then they had the most technologically advanced cone material
Old 01-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Registered

If you want quality equipment go here, period. WWW.JMLAUDIO.COM
Focal, Treo, Zapco, Dynaudio, DLS.......just to name a few
Old 01-25-2006, 11:34 PM
Registered

back in 91 i called every high end speaker manufacture and talked to there engineers, and ask them what speaker they thought was the best tweeter, mid, and woofer out there, knowing most had tested other brands then there own, and most of them said the Focal ti120tio2 was the best tweeter made, even companys like dynaudio and morell said the focal was the best, and everyone but dynaudio said the e-ton was the best mid, even focal said it was in a league of its own, and subs there was alot of opinions but the dynaudio was the one that more agreed on
Old 01-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

That's all good stuff, if the audiophiles are using it you know it sounds good. Dynadio, Focal, Morel, Seas, Vifa, Audax. I'd take any of that stuff over some over the counter car audio junk. Most component crossovers are total junk too. You couldn't fit my crossovers in a tiny little plastic box.......
Old 01-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

What do you use for head units BYC? I usually by the most current top of the line Alpine every year or two. I like the sound and the adjustments they have. Last years model has a crappy screen though, it's hard to see in the sun. I'll get a new one before the summer again this year.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cigarette38topgun
If you want quality equipment go here, period. WWW.JMLAUDIO.COM
Focal, Treo, Zapco, Dynaudio, DLS.......just to name a few
I sold focal, zapco, dynaudio, and all the top stuff along time ago, but I dont do car stuff any more and we custom build most of the home stuff that we do.

Quick Reply: Stereo Systems in your boats!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.