Notices

Certified for Europe

Old 01-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Certified for Europe

I have a guy asking if my Cigarette has the following -CE Mark (CE is certificate for EUROPEAN UNION).

Where, how, why and what would this have to do with a boat going to Europe??

Does this CE exist? If so and if needed, where in Los Angeles would I go to have my boat certified?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Certified for Europe

That's strange, I always thought the CE was on stuff MADE in Europe, not stuff HEADING to Europe.

Install a funny electrical plug and a PAL VCR and say it's the European version.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CE has a number of requirements that boats have to have to be allowed in. All of the systems have to be CE approved. Other items have to do with self bailing, swim ladders, fuel shut offs. fire safety etc.. If it's fairly new boat Cig may have CE approval for it and they can provide you with the certificate and the book, an older boat may be exempt. You should call the factory and they can tell you. The HIN also has to be prefixed with a US.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certificate of Engineering?

I ship a lot of product to Europe. Usually require COC's and COA's but not CE's.

Of course nothing we send is mechanical.

Last edited by expresscat39; 01-27-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Registered

If your boat is going to Europe, I guess that means that the buyer will want to register it in Europe. In order to do so, the boat must have a CE mark as proof of compliance with European standards. There is a list of requirements with which the boat must comply to earn this CE certification. It is usually the manufacturer who handles this procedure in order to be able to sell his products on the European market. Cigarettes are imported and registered here in Europe so I am positive that some of them are CE certified. Thus, it will depend on the age and model of your Cig whether she is compliant. I suggest you contact the factory and check with them. I don't think it should be a problem. Hustlers for example do have a CE mark.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Registered

If the boat does not have the CE mark on the other hand, it may become a big headache for the buyer. It's like importing a Euro car into the US without proper compliance paperwork. You would have to go through all sorts of EPA and safety procedures to prove that the car satisfies US standards and do the necessary modifications if it does not. In some cases, it may be impossible to make the car comply = track use only.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I have a call into Bud at Cigarette. Do you think a 2000 Cig would have a CE?
Old 01-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Registered

I would be surprised if a 2000 Cig wasn't CE certified. Rather than certify each boat that is destined for Europe separately and individually, manufacturers usually find it cheaper to get the model certified across the board and just build all boats to requirements which are not that far off common sense anyway as far as safety is concerned.