upgrade the stereo do's & dont's >

upgrade the stereo do's & dont's

Notices

upgrade the stereo do's & dont's

Old 01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade the stereo do's & dont's

I want to upgrade the stereo in a 27' fountain fever I just bought. What are some of the do's and some of the dont's on this. The stereo is a Kenwood w/CD and 4 speakers. I would like a subwoofer, amp, and two more speakers. What is the desired location for these items. I want to do it right the first time.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: upgrade the stereo do's & dont's

I don't know if four speakers are enough? I'd go with a setup like this.

Don't worry, the OSO stereo gurus will chime in soon.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Registered

Man , looks like someone has a good sony connection. Did my buds fountain a couple years back. Took those stupid fountain logos out of the side panels behind the bolsters and fit some 8" coaxial bazookas there for an extra pair outside. Added 2 kicker 10" subs under the rear seat. Upgraded the existing speakers. New head , 2 amps and a helm control . Sounded good for not going crazy. Ended doing almost the same for myself in my 29 scarab. Everybody seems to be jumping on the marine audio bandwagon ( pioneer , sony , clarion ). Even like memphis is making great "marine" amps now. I like the clarion speakers a lot , they just seem to last longer and do have a good sound with some power behind them. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fountain1998
I want to upgrade the stereo in a 27' fountain fever I just bought. What are some of the do's and some of the dont's on this. The stereo is a Kenwood w/CD and 4 speakers. I would like a subwoofer, amp, and two more speakers. What is the desired location for these items. I want to do it right the first time.
Mount your two more speakers on the sides of course, as high as you can get them. Amp can go under back bench or in cuddy out of the way or hidden. I put my two 12" subs one under driver seat and one under passenger seat facing towards each other and they literally rock your azz since they actually touch the bottoms of the seats... Best way though if you have plenty of clearance is to down fire them with a few inches open air space beneath them.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
I don't know if four speakers are enough? I'd go with a setup like this.

Don't worry, the OSO stereo gurus will chime in soon.
That's ridiculous...
Old 01-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Registered

Do not run those 2 extra speakers off the head unit
Do get a good amp for all speakers, do not underpower speakers
Coaxials are the most practical, do get the marine versions (better against the elements)
Do get subs and especially do not underpower them. If you're just going to mount them under the bench without building cabinets, make sure the speakers are free-air ready. DO NOT BUY FROM INTERNET SHOPS they bait and switch along with selling counterfeit brands for example they will sell you an Expod speaker making you think it's a Sony Xplod, but it's not. Just let one of us know what you really want to accomplish and how much you have to spend. Do NOT go cheapo. I am buying a 29 and will be doing something with that boat's system as well.
Do get a paid membership, you can see the photos and get access to other parts of the forum. There you can see all kinds of wonderful things.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Registered

I still think naming a piece if stereo equipment xplod is really not a good marketing idea!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:24 AM

I suggest building a box that fits under the front seats, put either 10" or 12" subs, replace exisiting speakers with MB Quart, also install the MB quart tweters as high as possible, run two amps one for subs one for everything else. Also get a sony or clarion head until that has the wired remote so you can mount it on your dash, (its bullchit to have to open your cabin to adjust volume) I have pics of all of this I will post in a day or so, this is the set up i have in my 27 and it rocks.

WILL
Old 01-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Registered

Buy the best speakers / amps you can aford and I also suggest to install a remote on the transom area (swim platform) makes it pretty nice when your floating to adjust the volume.