Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
boat transportation question >

boat transportation question

Notices

boat transportation question

Old 02-02-2006, 08:47 AM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: boat transportation question

even if you get a few less runs with it back hauls will be alot easier to get.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Banned

this is the type of trailer that you use to haul a large prevost, metro bus or any other motorhome
Old 02-02-2006, 09:24 AM
RHC
Registered

Jeff, while I agree with your theory,,, your cost estimations are way out of line ,,, The 80K lb tractor requires IP plates then comes axle tax, then comes Fed tax on the tractor ,,, but the biggest pain will be running a log book and not running the over-dimension loads / permitted loads except during daylight hrs and in some cases not on the weekend .. all of those things will cost ya time ,,,, and thats money!!! Study it well before ya spend 40K on a slide back!

RHC
Old 02-02-2006, 09:39 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgchuby01
this is the type of trailer that you use to haul a large prevost, metro bus or any other motorhome
it gives you a wider range of customer base as well (more than just boats).... i think that might be the biggest gain...
Old 02-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Banned

I will still use the current truck I have to tow with. I already own the Kenworth and its paid for. The trailer is $60,000. Yes with it you will have to do log books and be legal but when you get to the other end of the country and there is no boat to come back this trailer can load anything on it. Hence a backhaul. I am just trying to do something better than the average boat hauler. Give the customer the option. Or he can still get towed behind a pickup truck on the ground.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bgchuby01
I will still use the current truck I have to tow with. I already own the Kenworth and its paid for. The trailer is $60,000. Yes with it you will have to do log books and be legal but when you get to the other end of the country and there is no boat to come back this trailer can load anything on it. Hence a backhaul. I am just trying to do something better than the average boat hauler. Give the customer the option. Or he can still get towed behind a pickup truck on the ground.
How does that work out ? if you have the big rig does that mean you could usually find a return load ?
Old 02-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Banned

It all comes down to your personal network of contacts. I was in the Auto Hauling business for a long time so I have contacts all over the country. As for running it legal with log books and all of the other crap you need to do. I had 28 trucks to take care of with log books and drug tests and everything else, so this one truck will be a breeze.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Banned

As for my cost estimates being out of line, If you can't run a truck down the freeway at $2.25 a mile and make a profit then something is wrong. My 2005 Ford one ton truck gets 9.6mpg towing so a big truck with a light load will get close. This KW has a very large motor that does not have to be reved up to make power. It already gets close to 7mpg with a normal dry box.As we all know the trick is not to run empty.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff
You do bring up some good points, so do some other people. I guess you have the potential to haul alot more than boats with this trailer. Whatever you decide, good luck
Old 02-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Banned

Thanks Gerard, I make a good living moving boats with a pickup truck where you still have costs involved besides the truck payment. It will just up the level of service for the boat owner that wants the best for his baby. When you already carry high cargo insurance and run the right authority adding a full size truck is pretty easy. Yes log books are a ***** but rolling in someones new offshore boat on the back of a large semi looks more profestional. About the only problem I see is that when you offload your boat and want to go and get some chinese food with your friends. The KW will be harder to park.

Quick Reply: boat transportation question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.