Like Tree1Likes

I'm Hearing the Skater Built Cigarette Will Go for Reggie's KILO Record Next Week

Old 02-09-2006, 09:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 38 Donzi ZRC, 29 Advantage XFlight
Default Re: I'm Hearing the Skater Built Cigarette Will Go for Reggie's KILO Record Next Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x
Good question. I guess I missed it too. What post # was it?
All I remember reading was something on a thread that was previously deleted by salesman11 about 172 mph. If that was correct, then that was faster than Fountains one way pass of 171.83.
Why does'nt anyone here want to elaborate on the good news?

Before the run, there were a bunch of "know it alls" here that could'nt keep their mouths shut, and now after the Cigs passes they don't have anything to say.

Who's bull$hitting who here?

What he posted was that the CIG reached a TOP SPEED in the low 170"S, but that it was unstable and could not be held there for any length of time. Reaching a top speed of 170ish, and averaging that speed all the way thru a kilo pass, are two very different things. Wish we had an update. That's what I hate about these secret record attempts. I understand that the manufactures don't want to tip their hands but it till sucks.

I prefer the method other sports use where you can only set a record at a sanctioned event where the competition has the opportunity to match you.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:29 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 1998 Aquasport 205 Oosprey
Default Re: I'm Hearing the Skater Built Cigarette Will Go for Reggie's KILO Record Next Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDadys93x
Wait a minute! Why does it sound like everyones thrown in the towel on this one already (Especially the Fountain proud)? If guys remember Reggie only went 166mph on his first attempt out of the box. Then once he took the boat back out of the water and reworked the bottom of the hull and changed props he started to get the better speeds. Dont you think Cig will do the same thing and try again in a few days or do you all think that one run is enough? I really dont think they would spend that much money and time for a one run deal. I think this boat can do it with a little more work. Hell if the numbers stated here are true then they have already run faster than Reggie an their first attempt. DONT GIVE UP ON THEM YET!!!
All the more reason not to have these 'competitions" at one of the competitors shop. ...............

Last edited by CMG; 02-09-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The boat made two seperate runs. The first was with the short skegs and produced a speed of 153 mph (+ -). The boat was pulled out to put on the longer skegs and have some weight added. On the second run, Johnny saw 173 on the gps about midway through but the boat started getting unstable (somewhat similar to what we had with the Fountain - - they're hard to steer when there's no hull in the water!). When he started to back out of the throttles it got worse. So his average speed for that one way pass ended up at 163 mph and he chose not to make a second pass with that setup. The boat had plenty of horsepower and still had a good bit of throttle left but Johnny definitely made the right decision. I think it's considered a success when you run at speeds like that and can bring the boat back in one piece and be walking around to talk about it. A very impressive run for their first time out and my congratulations to JT and the whole crew. Cigarette is definitely knocking on the door and you can bet they'll be back after a little tweaking here and there.

Alan
Old 02-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Registered

Driving AND Throttling!!!
Old 02-09-2006, 09:57 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

My Boats: 1989 10 mtr Fountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marginmn
What he posted was that the CIG reached a TOP SPEED in the low 170"S, but that it was unstable and could not be held there for any length of time. Reaching a top speed of 170ish, and averaging that speed all the way thru a kilo pass, are two very different things. Wish we had an update. That's what I hate about these secret record attempts. I understand that the manufactures don't want to tip their hands but it till sucks.

I prefer the method other sports use where you can only set a record at a sanctioned event where the competition has the opportunity to match you.
Exactly, my thought too. What's the big secret? Are they ashamed of the boat and its speeds? Geesh

Nothin like inviting all the competion to top your speed like the other guy did.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 02-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
You say Tow? are they still having to tow the Cig it to get it on plane ?
You don't miss anything do you Strip?? I'm pretty sure the Cig got on plane by itself.

Look forward to seeing you at the Clevelander!!

Frankie
Old 02-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Registered

Thats awesome. I'm glad it was a safe run. Great numbers for their first attempt!
Old 02-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Registered

I don't think this is a competition just yet. Cigarette deserves some time to get the bugs out of this boat in testing before they line up with Fountain and Outer Limits. The fact that this testing was leaked on OSO doesn't change the process.

You don't expect them to get it perfect the first time. You do expect them to creep up on the objective so that some bug doesn't ruin their day. You wouldn't risk your life trying to set a record before an artificial deadline like the Miami boat show, if the boat wasn't ready.

If they are successful and publish the result at the boat show, we can all look forward to another matchup, maybe with three players this time.

Remove the brand names from these record attempts and you have several teams of first rate players climbing Mt. Everest. Hats off to all of them. I do not want to hear that somebody died in the attempt.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Registered

My Boats: BAJA OL 650HP/ SABER 28 Gellner unlimited with konrad ace

that was two way pass I think
Old 02-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Registered

My Boats: 31 Scarab Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marginmn

Agreed!!!!......