Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
My engine is "hunting", but Im not blown. >

My engine is "hunting", but Im not blown.

Notices

My engine is "hunting", but Im not blown.

Old 01-17-2002, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nick,
Without a better description of the noise check belts etc, they can squeal. Also check for low PS fluid or some noise associated with the water pump or seawater pickup pump.

You can isolate a noise by using a broom stick held to your ear or a section of tubing.
Tim T.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might sound crazy but, is there any way you can make a small recording of it. Copy to your PC as a .wav file for us to hear??

Bob
Old 01-17-2002, 05:52 PM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Nick,

Is the RPM reading on the tach at idle fluctuating along with the sound? If so, I would suspect a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak will cause the engine to "hunt" or surge at idle, and will ususally smooth out and run OK at higher speeds. If the engine backfired through the carb recently you might have blown out the power valve (if it is a Holley carb). I would check to make sure that the bolts that attach the carburetor to the intake manifold are tight. They should be snug - DON'T try to tighten them too much or you will strip the threads in the aluminum intake manifold or break the carb base. Also, check the bolts that attach the intake manifold to the cylinder heads. As Waterfowl can attest, these can work themselves loose over time. Spray some carb cleaner around the carb base and along the edges of the intake where it attaches to the heads. If the idle smoothes out, you have found your problem.

Warning - do NOT run the boat with a vacuum leak! This will cause the engine to run lean, which could lead to severe damage (read lotsa $$$) if run under a heavy load.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!
Old 01-17-2002, 05:56 PM
NICKSLICK

THANKS GUYS!!! AS ALWAYS.

Ive printed this out, and Im headed down there SAT morning....

BTW, I also found the LEAK!!!

In older SCARABS there used to be a HOLE in the front of the bow, where the TOILET shot the stuff out into the ocean.

Thats where the leak is comming from!

Im gonna fill that sucker with a tube of 5200!!!

I hope my boat doesnt get constipation!

If all goes well, Ill be out on Sunday...

(yea right)

Old 01-17-2002, 06:08 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I take it that the toilet leak was from the thread two weeks ago and this is not the leak causing your engine to hunt. Or is it?

Nick, all I want to know is, Are the undersides of your finger nails greasy yet.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

SO, are you asking to solve the problem of the port engine hunting and want it to sound like the starbrd engine?

Or your starbrd engine doesn't hunt like the port and wanna do that?

"SSSHHHHHHHH, be vahwee vahweee quiet, I'm hunting weepaih peopo."

Hope you get it worked out, Nick. Man, that thing is like the plague.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:08 PM
NICKSLICK

Hey man... you have to appreciate the classics...

My boat is 22 years old, and look at it... its cosmetically perfect.

You can replace the engines... hell, you can replace all that ****... but how many 22 year old boats can you still see the cracks in your teeth when you look at the hull?

Its my baby... AND BY GOD... until I can afford a better, bigger, newer boat... you can just bite me!!!

(banging head on wall)

Old 01-17-2002, 07:51 PM
Registered

sounds like a vacuum leak to me..
Old 01-17-2002, 08:08 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Originally posted by traviss:
<STRONG>sounds like a vacuum leak to me.. </STRONG>
Uh huh.......exactly a big leak that sucks all available money and patience....
Old 01-17-2002, 08:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a couple of ideas.
You may be boiling the fuel in the carb due to the heat from the engine. Easy way to check this is -don't laugh-wrap a little aluminum foil around the carb before running it and see if it helps. Or pack a little ice from the cooler around the carb when the hunting starts.

Or you may have broken a timing advance spring and the timing is hunting up and down at idle. You need to check the timing at idle when this problem is ocurring and see if it is going up and down with the "BBUUURRR"s

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: My engine is "hunting", but Im not blown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.