Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
My engine is "hunting", but Im not blown. >

My engine is "hunting", but Im not blown.

Notices

My engine is "hunting", but Im not blown.

Old 01-18-2002, 12:42 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok it is sad when I know more about Nicks boat then he does!!!! Sorry nick but I think I been deeper in the bilge then you

Anyhow to help keep diagnostics on track. He has two 502's they are aprox 420hp motors with Alluminum edelbrock intakes and Holly double pumper carbs. The distributers are Mallory's if I remmeber correctly.

Nick I am thinking maniforld leake or carb leak. Be carefull spraying carb cleaner or brake cleaner around int here as it may lift paint off. Check all the intake manifold bolts. They are 9/16 bolts. They do not need to be super man tight, just tight. I believe if you have a torgue wrench they are 18ft pounds. Then check the carb bolts they get snugged!!! Do not over tighten. Good luck man

Jon
Old 01-18-2002, 01:08 AM
loosecannon22

hey cag, you wanna trade for a 98 scarab 22 with 150 hrs on it?

Old 01-18-2002, 09:00 PM
cag33

Loosecannon, no thanks. Two offshores are two many. Now maybe a nice center console. Hmmm.

Old 01-18-2002, 11:40 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Nick I feel for you, and definetly agree with you on the older boats. I myself love the wood in the boats and would miss not having it. The bad thing for you is that you got into a large project boat with little knowledge of mechanics. Hell a simple car with half the stuff your boat has can be very frustraiting without more knowledge. Take your time and listen to these guys, sans the BS , it's very possible it's nothing that big. Definetly listen to John and don't just start replacing parts. Hell I wouldn't mind having your boat, but I have allot more mechanical experience. You definetly have a good looking boat. Oh yeah one other thing. When I first got into doing my own work I got ahold of every publication I could even if it didn't pertain to my praticular application and studied it. It's always beneficial to have some working knowledge of what things are, what they do and where you might find them within your working environment. Be Strong.

Hawaii no ka 'oi
Old 01-19-2002, 12:06 AM
NICKSLICK

These guys that have never felt teak under their feet, or saw a carb...

Ill tell ya one thing, Ive been to Catalina 4 times in the last 4 weekends... averaged 60mph for 36miles each way.

Ive put over 150 hours on my boat since I bought it... and for me, there is no such thing as a winter season... hell, I dive more in the winter than in the summer...

TSK TSK....

FIBERGLASS! BAHHH!

STEPPED HULLS!!!! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

FUEL INJECTION!!!!! DAM WHIPPER SNAPPERS! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: NICKSLICK ]

Old 01-19-2002, 09:21 AM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Nick....You're funny............I would love to have that "tub of trouble"........

But as the others said.......mechanical apptitude is a musy in this case.......and my lobster pokin friend I believe you lack that......

Keep learnin and keep askin.......maybe you'll get a hold of it......