Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Selling Boat--Repaint Trailer to help or not? >

Selling Boat--Repaint Trailer to help or not?

Notices

Selling Boat--Repaint Trailer to help or not?

Old 02-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling Boat--Repaint Trailer to help or not?

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about putting my boat up for sale and have a question about repainting the trailer. Would it be in my best interest to have the trailer repainted to help sell the boat? It's a white painted steel trailer with rock chips and no new paint since the boat was new in 1996. It still looks pretty good and will cost around $1000 for paint...what are your thoughts? I have new bunks on the trailer already but just thought I'd let you guys help me make this decision.

Let me know what you think.

Dave
Old 02-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: Selling Boat--Repaint Trailer to help or not?

What brand and how long is the trailer? Depending, 1K to paint a 10 yr old trailer may not be worth it.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Registered

We bought a 1998 baja outlaw last winter in IA and it had a yellow trailer with matching graphics....boat was pristine and the trailer had quite a few rock chips since this boat was trailered alot back and forth to the lake.....it did not stop us from taking her home. As long as the mechanics of the trailer are fine....brakes, lights, tires, bearings etc....some rock chips...better than average cond. i would not worry about it....its whats on the trailer that counts!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Registered

The trailer is a Competitive triple axle with stainless fenders...looks nice but would look much better with fresh paint...for the $1000 will I recoup my money or sell the boat faster do you think? I'm guessing a new paint job on the trailer won't sell the boat or make it sell for $1000 more...anyone else think I'm accurate?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Dave, I think save your money. The trailer is important to me as far as paint goes.....but I think I am in the minority. I think more people do not care about the trailer as far as esthetics go, than the ones that do. I had a 97 competitive trailer like that. They are very well built and a good selling point. I bought my boat used and the trailer at first looked a mess, I couldn't see repainting it so I used a polish on a buffer then used a brush with rustoleum primer, then painted white with rustoleum white. You would be shocked how much better the trailer looked. When I sold the boat two years later the repairs still looked good and the buyer remarked about how good it looked. Rustolem is cheap but requires some elbow grease.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Registered

I don't think people are really looking too close at the trailer... unless it is really BAD!!! Put the money into a full cover or something?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Registered

People that tow their boats most of the time want a trailer that matches the condition of the boat. What is the value of the boat? Rackers get by with a yard trailer.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Registered

It's an interesting dilemma...the boat looks like new insinde and out...it's a 25' Eliminator Eagle....new Gen VI 502EFI with about 100 hours...fresh drive, dual batteries, big stereo, marine machine twin ram external steering...blah blah blah...the boat looks great.

KYELIM...I am in that same minority as well...I don't like my stuff to look bad...and there are lots of small rock chips...no rust or anything, just lots of rock chips. Perhaps I can find a body shop guy to work something for cash...the $1000 was for blasting and painting...maybe all it really needs is just some sanding and prepping before paint. I realize that I probably won't recoup the $$ spent on the repaint...but maybe it would just make me feel better knowing that it looks as good as it can when I have it for sale?

Feel free to chime in on this everyone...I haven't really made my mind up yet. Other ideas for painting a triple axle trailer for a 25? What SHOULD it cost me if I were to try and attempt this myself? The big problem is getting the boat off the trailer while it's being painted.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

when people are looking for a particular boat they have an idea what the boat is worth.....they are comparing boats, not trailers.....save your money
Old 02-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Registered

i would notice a trailer, but with identical boats, $1000 price difference, one good trailer, the more expensive on a GREAT trailer, I would really have to think and then I would save the $1000.

If it were a couple hundred bucks I would have the trailer done, more than that and forget it.

Just my $.02 as a guy who might buy another boat some day.

Quick Reply: Selling Boat--Repaint Trailer to help or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.