Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Expert Surveyor Theory Is.............. >

Expert Surveyor Theory Is..............

Notices

Expert Surveyor Theory Is..............

Old 02-02-2006, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Expert Surveyor Theory Is..............

Expert Surveyor believes that broken dipstick, metal in drive and possible weak cylinder all occured during a high speed romp on Lake Lanier in January after survey and prior to closing. Charles Bullock of Gainesville, Georgia reports that this type of thing happens, people do strange things. Although he was unwilliing to produce data on oil analysis, leakdown and static compression numbers that I was charged for, he was quick to point out that it is in his "disclaimer" that his "firm" can not be responsible for condition after the survey.
I guess this is the obscure, high tech, information you can find out when you hire such a person to evaluate a boat for you. I post this hoping that others may learn from his wisdom. I'd be willing to bet that no one on this board knew that if they drove their boat too hard that they would break the dipstick. He wouldn't tell me how this would happen, but I think its got to be hydrostatic pressure!
Oil leak, drive problem, weak cylinder, broken dipstick, all from high speed romp, you guys be careful out there it could be expensive driving hard, heck driving hard 2 days in a row you might not have anything left or so says expert surveyor Charles Bullock......... Proudly Posted, Dr. Eric Kelley
Old 02-02-2006, 06:09 AM
Steve_H

Default Re: Expert Surveyor Theory Is..............

is he a NAMS certified surveyor?

Old 02-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Registered

I beleive he is, he had a list of impressive creds.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly there are people in my profession that send out surveys WITHOUT EVER SEEING THE BOAT! There was a well-known broker down here that had a deal with a surveyor where he gave him the information OVER THE PHONE and the guy generated the survey from that! I asked him why I didn't get his survey business and his answer was: "When YOU survey one of my boats I have to FIX stuff.". Sadly, you cannot trust everyone and just because a surveyor is accredited doesn't mean you won't get ripped off. There are disclaimers in every survey form that allows for honest mistakes and omissions, but something as blatant as what you mention is a crime.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
What's his excuse for not providing the oil analysis? You paid for it, I don't think it's unreasonable to demand he produce it.
Absolutely. Tell him you will contact the surveyors asso. (whichever he belongs to) and let them know what he has done or not done.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Sadly there are people in my profession that send out surveys WITHOUT EVER SEEING THE BOAT! There was a well-known broker down here that had a deal with a surveyor where he gave him the information OVER THE PHONE and the guy generated the survey from that! I asked him why I didn't get his survey business and his answer was: "When YOU survey one of my boats I have to FIX stuff.". Sadly, you cannot trust everyone and just because a surveyor is accredited doesn't mean you won't get ripped off. There are disclaimers in every survey form that allows for honest mistakes and omissions, but something as blatant as what you mention is a crime.
Ed,
Did you get my PM?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Registered

He would give me nothing in the way of data, told me he was done talking to me. Should have had someone on the board do the survey for me. I was under the gun for time, he was in town and recommended by the lender I used. I did find out the Halon needed recharged and one hose was damaged. I should have taken a day off from work and gone through the detail stuff myself as well. I have sent the bad drive to Dick(Mr. Gadgets.) The good news for me is that I got a good deal on the boat and my trade. I will fix and enjoy the boat. I've heard on the board too much about deals such as this. You would have thought that I would have learned.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Registered

Ed, Do you usually give compression and leak down numbers on your reports?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
I talked to Ed today...he can do a compression test for $125 per motor. I assume he can do other things also. He was very nice and professional.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
Yes to the compression test for $125.00 per engine.
Maybe to the leak-down test because I need 100 lbs. of air pressure and it's not always available where I do the survey.

Quick Reply: Expert Surveyor Theory Is..............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.