Notices

Anyone know these motors?

Old 02-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Anyone know these motors?

Found these motors on e-bay, ad claims they came with a 28 cig. From the bills that came with the motors it seems the work was done around Benton Harbour Michigan. Does anyone know the story on these motors, as I'm looking for a set like this presently but would rather not bother with motors that will grenade.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Thanks for any insight.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone know these motors?

I would be leary, for a few hundred bucks you can buy a take out motor from a local marina and have it built ofr about $3000, then you know what you have.

I am always EXTREMLY concerned about motors that have been freshly built unless I know personally the reputation of the builder, get his story on it, and trust them extremly well.

Remember the cost of a motor is only a portion of the cost of changing a motor.

I am sure you know that, but it can't hurt to say it again...
Old 02-08-2006, 02:32 AM
Registered

Yeah, they're pieces of crap... LOL
Old 02-08-2006, 03:47 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Dean .... what you got now ?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:33 AM
Registered

Dean -- I agree and won't even consider them unless I get a positive feedback from someone who personnally knew them going together. I have been looking for a set of takeouts , unfortunately most are high hours and salt water use. As far as knowing what it takes to exchange motors --- I'm well aware -- My personnal best time for removing 2 big blocks is 2 hours 45 minutes by myself. A little longer going back in
What I have know is a set of 420's, and a set of 700's both of which are going to be put into other applications.
betitbig -- if you know something about these exact motors please pm me -- if not, thanks for you opinion.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by delsol
Dean -- I agree and won't even consider them unless I get a positive feedback from someone who personnally knew them going together. I have been looking for a set of takeouts , unfortunately most are high hours and salt water use. As far as knowing what it takes to exchange motors --- I'm well aware -- My personnal best time for removing 2 big blocks is 2 hours 45 minutes by myself. A little longer going back in
What I have know is a set of 420's, and a set of 700's both of which are going to be put into other applications.
betitbig -- if you know something about these exact motors please pm me -- if not, thanks for you opinion.

I have not a clue on these in particular, but as a general discussion note, Jasper just quited a HELL of a price on a pair of marine 454 mag motors, $3800 for a long block. That will be hard to beat, I am sure I could not get a pair built for that.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dean51267
I have not a clue on these in particular, but as a general discussion note, Jasper just quited a HELL of a price on a pair of marine 454 mag motors, $3800 for a long block. That will be hard to beat, I am sure I could not get a pair built for that.
Don't do it dude, I had to learn the hard way. Just a warning.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Registered

go time -- are you talking about the 'Jasper motors'? I don't know who they are or where they're from, but if you had a bad experience PM me thanks.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay clear of the Jasper junk....A buddy is still living the nightmare
Old 02-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by birdog
Stay clear of the Jasper junk....A buddy is still living the nightmare
I resent that Remark !

.. I have Jasper Remans and have had no trouble .... well ...one did break a valve at about 75 hours ..they fixed it ...broke again in 2 hours ...they sent me new motor ....but I had to foot the labor until they inspected the motor ....and then said the motors were over Rev'd .. which I know weren't ... the other motor runs great ...well it does burn about 1 quart/hr ... runs great though ... you know what ...never mind .........

One note ... the motor they replaced was out of warranty ... they didnt have to replace it ...but they did ...

Last edited by offthefront; 02-08-2006 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone know these motors?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.