Documented Vessel Question

Notices

Documented Vessel Question

Old 02-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Documented Vessel Question

Ok,
You live in California and did an out of state delivery to save California Tax.
The Fed Doc paperwork shows the Arizona address and that is how Arizona found your purchase.
However,
Are you using the boat in Arizona?
Is it possible that you were mistaken as to where the delivery was made?
Say like Mexico.
Not California or Arizona but that you use the address in Arizona as your mailing address?
Think about where the boat is used and stored, if not in Arizona fight them. The trailer is a seperate issue. Lose that battle win the war. Don't break the law use it to your best advantage. Push the envelope to the max legally allowed.
Good Luck,
VeeCat
Old 02-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Registered

Many States are now waking up,
Do your research on the legally correct but still tax saving way. Out of State Delivery with a Federal Title can work if you want to take the time to figure it out. Each State is different, Each State can obtain information from the Fed. Doc. office in Richmond, Virginia. There is now only one office that all fed doc papers go to. They centralized this several years ago. Texas used to be handle though the Port of Houston Office. No Longer. Some States really have a good grasp on how to collect. Just Know the rules. Texas forgot to check when the office moved for almost ten years. The key I now believe is, the state that you operate the waters of, does it require a state sticker on the side of the hull. This is new, used to be the name on the transom and home port marking on the transom got you by almost anywhere. Not so now.
Just and opinion,
VeeeCat
Old 02-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Charter Member #590
Charter Member

Semper,

I went through this a few months back. Almost the exact same circs as your purchase. Bottom line was I had to pay them their use tax, or pay sales tax in CA. Thier tax was less that CA, so I bit their bullet. It was a tough pill to swallow when you think you're in the celar and then they come to you for 12 grand!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Laveyman
Semper,

I went through this a few months back. Almost the exact same circs as your purchase. Bottom line was I had to pay them their use tax, or pay sales tax in CA. Thier tax was less that CA, so I bit their bullet. It was a tough pill to swallow when you think you're in the celar and then they come to you for 12 grand!
It was HavasuCig that is getting hassled for the tax payment......I paid Ca. for my tax just last year before they could start fining me.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:49 AM
Charter Member #590
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
It was HavasuCig that is getting hassled for the tax payment......I paid Ca. for my tax just last year before they could start fining me.
Oops! My bad.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Delaware and Nebraska may be the only states left to avoid or negate the sales tax.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

However, as mentioned earlier, if the boat is in a state for an extended period which exceeds that states limitations, they rerserve the right to demand the user tax fees.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Laveyman
Oops! My bad.
No problem. I went through this crap about 1 year ago...I had Ca. and Az. coming after me. The bad thing is that I started paying Ca. (higher tax) then Az. came after me, I would have rather paid Az. it would have saved a little over $1,000
Old 02-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CAP071
What do you get out of having your boat documented vs. non documented?
I guess not much
Old 02-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by yeehaw
How does AZ know you have a boat and how do they know how much you paid for it. You registered the trailer so they know about that. The boat has no title and no AZ registration - where did they get the info from?
The trailer was actually registered in California because according to California law any vehicle used in the state must be registered there if you have a California drivers license.

I am not sure exactly how they found out about the boat, but I think that they finally figured out what a documented vessel was and now they are trying to collect their taxes on them.

When I first bought the boat the water cops out in Havasu did not know the laws about documented vessels, and questioned me more than a few times for not having state registration, now I think they are all wise to it. I am sure the state is starting to catch on now just like the cops did. I am also sure I am not the only one going through this.

Quick Reply: Documented Vessel Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.