Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New 700SCi and New Merc Drive!!! >

New 700SCi and New Merc Drive!!!

Notices

New 700SCi and New Merc Drive!!!

Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Re: New 700SCi and New Merc Drive!!!

Originally Posted by Raylar
I kind of think our new HO725 engine is a better offering, couple it up with a Konrad or Imco SC1000 drive and you have spent only about $56K with closed cooling and one year warranty. Check out April issue Powerboat Magazine page 39.
Just thought I would plug our motor.

Ray @ Raylar

That thing looks BAD - in a good way
Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raylar does build great motors, I have a pair of their 600's and they are stout !!
Old 03-09-2006, 02:49 PM
RHC
Registered

Ok,, so after its been out for a month,,???? What did they change in the lower unit?? are they bravo gears and prop shaft?? Inquiring minds want to know ??

RHC
Old 03-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RHC,
No the Merc ace drive is all new. It has a transmssion-manual cone clutch like the bravo only larger and stronger. The drive it self is like the #6 just gears and shafts all new from what I understand. Both the transmission and drive are dry sump.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSONIC
RHC,
No the Merc ace drive is all new. It has a transmssion-manual cone clutch like the bravo only larger and stronger. The drive it self is like the #6 just gears and shafts all new from what I understand. Both the transmission and drive are dry sump.
So what's the deal - will the Ace drive not bolt up to other engines like the President of Mercury was quoted as saying? From Powerboat's latest issue:

"Asked if Mercury Racing would eventually offer the ACE dry-sump drive as a stand-alone unit, Fred Kiekhaefer, Mercury Racing's president, said no.

""When you look at the ACE, and really study how it is put together, you will see it is a non-trivial integration, because the transmission is integral with the drive, with the drive plate, so where do you start, where do you stop?" he said.

"It's not like a No. 6 drive where you can bolt anything to it, because the transmission of a key part of this.""

Could someone who really understands the Ace explain the above statement.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:01 PM
RHC
Registered

Kewl,, Thanks,

RHC
Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar
I kind of think our new HO725 engine is a better offering, couple it up with a Konrad or Imco SC1000 drive and you have spent only about $56K with closed cooling and one year warranty. Check out April issue Powerboat Magazine page 39.
Just thought I would plug our motor.

Ray @ Raylar
those stacks look too cool to put a flame arrestor on...
Old 03-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: New 700SCi and New Merc Drive!!!

The flame arrestor is a 1-1/2" polished billet unit that sits on top of the stacks to preserve the "look". Your right , who would want to cover the whole thing up! Lets face it ,if a motor package is going to cost 36K complete, it better look damn good!!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Registered

Nice looking motor Ray. The boating public is pretty much sick and tired of Merc's rediculously priced substandard product.

Does Raylar have any service centers on the east coast?
Old 03-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: New 700SCi and New Merc Drive!!!

Yes we do. We have dealers in the Great Lakes,Northeast, Carolinas, Texas and Florida. We seem to get more every month. One thing to consider when buying a bigger power motor is to buy one that does not need a lot of service and tweaking. That's the advantage of big inch normally aspirated electronic motor. Put the key in-turn it on and go! Just oil changes. That's all our motors are built to need each season. None of this mechanic on staff, constant adjustment and short periods between expensive "fresh'enings. Hell, performance boating is expensive enough as is! We try to build for "Joe Boater" not Reginald MoneyBags"s the III. We would starve to death trying to support those guys year in and year out!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Quick Reply: New 700SCi and New Merc Drive!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.