Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The person I bought the boat from lost the MSO for the trailer, how can I title it? >

The person I bought the boat from lost the MSO for the trailer, how can I title it?

Notices

The person I bought the boat from lost the MSO for the trailer, how can I title it?

Old 02-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: The person I bought the boat from lost the MSO for the trailer, how can I title it?

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
Finally spoke to a competant person @ DMV and they said all I need is a notorized bill of sale.

Thanks
I did the same thing for my old trailer, it was pretty easy! Took me about 20 min at the DMV.

Just make sure you're honest about the GVW because if you get into an accident, pulled over or are on the highway you're f'ed
Old 02-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: The person I bought the boat from lost the MSO for the trailer, how can I title it?

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
The boat I bought this summer came with a trailer. The person I bought it from never titled it. He cannot find the MSO and cannot title without it. The manufacturer cannot issue another one. He has been back motor vehicle in Florida where it was built and couodn't do anything without MSO.

Anyone know what to do?? I have 2 trailers now and in an effort to get rid of 1 I put them both up for sale. This is the trailer that sold.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Is it the same person you bought the blower from?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha Ha Ha
Old 03-12-2024, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stecz20
make a fake bill of sale.. i do it all the time... call me if you want me to tell you about it... they never say a word to me at the dmv....
I tried that with a bill of sale but they want a title from previous owner and I dont have that,theres nother whatsoever no mso or anything. should I get a bonded title??
Old 03-12-2024, 11:51 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Mackdaddy243
I tried that with a bill of sale but they want a title from previous owner and I dont have that,theres nother whatsoever no mso or anything. should I get a bonded title??
Very old thread you brought back.
Some states do not even title boat trailers, including mine.
Possible other option for you is to Title it as a Home Made trailer and request a VIN from the dmv.
Every state is different and within them, a lot of counties are even different.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts
Default trailer regist

As others have said, it depends on where you live.

I bought a boat and trailer which was registered in AZ, which does not - or didn't at that time - issue a title to watercraft.

I took all the paperwork to the local DMV, showed them the AZ registration which clearly stated "AZ does not issue a title, this is your ownership document".

I got told I couldn't get register it without a title. I politely pointed out the AZ statement on the registration. I got told the old owner must have lost the title. I said "ok, I admit it. Your right. He lost the title, now what?" I was told to go get a bond for 3 times the value and I could get a title.

I called the old owner and asked if he'd make another bill of sale indicating I'd bought the trailer for $500 and make the purchase price of the boat higher, which he did. I took the new bill of sale and the bond which I think was $150 to the DMV and processed the deal...the bond cost $150, but I also only paid sales tax on $500.

I then called called AZ DMV and asked if they could issue a title for a boat under special circumstances because MI wouldn't accept their registration as an ownership doc.

The girl asked me how someone from MI happened to buy a boat in AZ. I asked her if she'd ever had the pleasure of a MI winter, explained we had friends out west and actually did occasionally boat out there. She explained AZ would be happy to take my money and asked why I didn't register the boat in AZ as a non-resident.

I send them my renewal $$s every year, and because MI issues a permanent trailer plate, they get nothing.

Typical govt bureaucracy. Or the DMV person just wanted to spread some sunshine, Take your pick. I really think most dmv employees were the kids who were stuffed in lockers or in garbage cans and rolled down the hall in high school and now that they have grown up jobs with some authority they're getting even with the world.

good luck

1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.