Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The person I bought the boat from lost the MSO for the trailer, how can I title it? >

The person I bought the boat from lost the MSO for the trailer, how can I title it?

Notices

The person I bought the boat from lost the MSO for the trailer, how can I title it?

Old 02-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The person I bought the boat from lost the MSO for the trailer, how can I title it?

The boat I bought this summer came with a trailer. The person I bought it from never titled it. He cannot find the MSO and cannot title without it. The manufacturer cannot issue another one. He has been back motor vehicle in Florida where it was built and couodn't do anything without MSO.

Anyone know what to do?? I have 2 trailers now and in an effort to get rid of 1 I put them both up for sale. This is the trailer that sold.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Registered

Default Re: The person I bought the boat from lost the MSO for the trailer, how can I title it?

If the manufacturer won't issue a duplicate you may be able to get the original selling dealer to apply for an original title in the dealers name seeing as how it was never titled by the person you purchased it from then he could assign it to you....maybe??
Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Registered

Default Re: The person I bought the boat from lost the MSO for the trailer, how can I title it?

The trailer was bought direct through South Florida Trailers.....I think. If not, the dealer/marina he got it through, and picked up for him in Florida, claims not to have it.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Registered

If South Florida filled in the previous owners info in the "1st Assignment" area of the original MSO, when they sold it to him(should be standard business practice ), then they would have a copy of that, and be able to re-issue a duplicate; with which the previous owner could then get a title and transfer to you. If South Florida gave him an "un-assigned MSO", and he lost it, then that's a problem...they (SFT)won't issue a duplicate because that would mean that there were two open MSO's out on the street with the same VIN#. They probably won't do that. It would put their manufacturers license in jeopardy.
Hugh
Old 02-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I didn't have a title or MSO for my trailer and Maryland settled for a notorized bill of sale signed by the previous owner and me. I know every state is different. I bought it from NJ, I asked "where is the title", they looked at me strange. MD issues a title for boat trailers.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
The boat I bought this summer came with a trailer. The person I bought it from never titled it. He cannot find the MSO and cannot title without it. The manufacturer cannot issue another one. He has been back motor vehicle in Florida where it was built and couodn't do anything without MSO.

Anyone know what to do?? I have 2 trailers now and in an effort to get rid of 1 I put them both up for sale. This is the trailer that sold.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
If you live in NJ as your profile says, you can register it as home built there. I've done it on several older trailers that there was no title to. I don't remember the exact procedure, but they don't ask for very much info to do it. They even issue you a VIN. I believe that they want a bill of sale, but that sabout it.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try the home built way also.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
I didn't have a title or MSO for my trailer and Maryland settled for a notorized bill of sale signed by the previous owner and me. I know every state is different. I bought it from NJ, I asked "where is the title", they looked at me strange. MD issues a title for boat trailers.
Finally spoke to a competant person @ DMV and they said all I need is a notorized bill of sale.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
Finally spoke to a competant person @ DMV
There's a 1st.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Registered

make a fake bill of sale.. i do it all the time... call me if you want me to tell you about it... they never say a word to me at the dmv....

Quick Reply: The person I bought the boat from lost the MSO for the trailer, how can I title it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.