Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BMAX New lower design in Miami (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/122875-bmax-new-lower-design-miami.html)

zt260 02-18-2006 08:04 PM

BMAX New lower design in Miami

Has anyone been by the BMAX display?
Dean has been promising a new lower with larger gears. Any info would be great. Wish I could be there myself.

Strip Poker 388 02-20-2006 01:11 PM

Re: BMAX New lower design in Miami

Originally Posted by zt260
Has anyone been by the BMAX display?
Dean has been promising a new lower with larger gears. Any info would be great. Wish I could be there myself.

He said the gears weren't ready yet,couple of months

Anarchy Powerboats 02-20-2006 01:21 PM

I was going to send them an email about our services, they need light at their booth and some video or something.

zt260 02-20-2006 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
He said the gears weren't ready yet,couple of months

Figures, it's always a couple more months and the summers over.

Thanks, Rob

Strip Poker 388 02-20-2006 03:16 PM

Figures, it's always a couple more months and the summers over.

Thanks, Rob

Yvonne said they were still at they show today.I think its going to be the same crescent lower? The new lower gears are going to be helical style which will have more surface contact area and 3 teeth will be engaged at all times on the lower gears . This will spread out the load and the merc gears only have 1 tooth touching at a time.This is what I was told .

Rob :drink:

zt260 02-20-2006 07:33 PM

Dean told me the new lower would be 1/2 inch larger in diameter. This would be enough to hold the new larger gears. I've been waiting for sometime now. I'm tired of blowing the bmax lowers. Three a year is too much for me.

To hold the new gears, a new lower design will be required, unless he has changed the design.

Thanks for the info-

Strip Poker 388 02-21-2006 12:21 AM

Dean told me the new lower would be 1/2 inch larger in diameter. This would be enough to hold the new larger gears. I've been waiting for sometime now. I'm tired of blowing the bmax lowers. Three a year is too much for me.

To hold the new gears, a new lower design will be required, unless he has changed the design.

Thanks for the info-

How much power are you making? I havent had any lower failures from TQ

Rob :D

zt260 02-21-2006 11:02 AM

I can produce up to 1400HP, but at present boost, I'm at 1000HP\950TQ. Dean said it would work and guaranteed it when I brought the drive two years ago. But the lowers just keep tearing up, and I'm easy on it. No jumping, no holeshots and only a few WOT runs per year. The upper is bullet proof.

Dave-

Strip Poker 388 02-21-2006 12:18 PM

I can produce up to 1400HP, but at present boost, I'm at 1000HP\950TQ. Dean said it would work and guaranteed it when I brought the drive two years ago. But the lowers just keep tearing up, and I'm easy on it. No jumping, no holeshots and only a few WOT runs per year. The upper is bullet proof.

Dave-

Dave Thats some pretty good #'s.what kind of boat?

zt260 02-21-2006 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a 2003 Checkmate ZT260

Strip Poker 388 02-21-2006 12:39 PM

It's a 2003 Checkmate ZT260

I dont think you have enough motor for that boat :rolleyes: :D You have any picks of the motor.

Rob :D

zt260 02-21-2006 12:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've always liked the phase- "If more is better, than too much is just enough"

Until the damn drive blows-

articfriends 02-21-2006 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Dave-

Dave,I'm making real close to 950 hp and just over 950 ft lbs tq in my baja 272 turning a 32 pitch and 30 pitch 4 blade around 5600-6000 rpm's(similar size boat) and I have tore up 2 sets of xr gears (same ones I'm sure b-max is putting in there drive too) and sheared off 1 max worx vert shaft. Do they look just like these when you break them? Max machine is telling me their new billet lower casing has double support bearings on the vert shaft which should help keep from tearing up lower gears but I'm skeptical if it will help. 2700$ for the new billet casing and 600$ for the shaft,I might wait and see if something better (like the b-max lower) comes out,Smitty

articfriends 02-21-2006 04:41 PM

Whats the aluminum tank for in engine compartment,I'm guessing either race gas that you boost the octane with in your normal fuel when under boost or alcohol/water injection,am I close?Smitty

articfriends 02-21-2006 04:49 PM

Yvonne said they were still at they show today.I think its going to be the same crescent lower? The new lower gears are going to be helical style which will have more surface contact area and 3 teeth will be engaged at all times on the lower gears . This will spread out the load and the merc gears only have 1 tooth touching at a time.This is what I was told .

Strip,I'm under the impression the current b-max lower bolts on identical to a std merc lower or a imco lower but is no stronger than any of the others out there (billet shaft,xr gears etc). Any idea if the new lower when its done will bolt onto the old b-max which would mean it would be a good retrofit for guys like you and zt-260 without buying a whole complete new drive and it would then also bolt to other drives like my max worx upgraded upper? That would be nice but I bet dean also beefed up the vertical shaft with bigger dia too,Smitty

zt260 02-21-2006 07:23 PM

The last set of gears looked like yours, but that was because I felt it coming apart and idled in. All the others were completely trashed. Not much left in terms of teeth.

The small tank is 112 octane for runs over 10Ibs of boost. I can switch fuels on the fly in seconds

Bmax's lower case will bolt to any bravo upper, but Dean uses his own vertical and prop shaft that are not interchangeable with bravos. Dean told me the new lower will bolt up to my existing Bmax upper.

Hope he gets going on this, with my single, it’s a long paddle back to the dock-

Vinny P 02-21-2006 08:52 PM

Hey Dave,
I am just lurking around reading this thread. When I wondered what that guy from Donzi ( @ the NYC Boat show this year ) was really thinking when you told him you had a 26' Hull w/ 1400 h.p. :eek: :eek:

zt260 02-21-2006 09:02 PM

I'm pretty sure he thought one of two things.

This guy is full of crap, or he's crazy.
Maybe both-

X-Driver 02-21-2006 09:03 PM

What's that Cmate run w/ 1400hp, Zt260?

Vinny P 02-21-2006 09:13 PM

I'm going with " he's crazy"... He could tell we knew what we were talking about.

articfriends 02-21-2006 09:25 PM

[QUOTE=zt260]The last set of gears looked like yours, but that was because I felt it coming apart and idled in. All the others were completely trashed. Not much left in terms of teeth.

The small tank is 112 octane for runs over 10Ibs of boost. I can switch fuels on the fly in seconds

Bmax's lower case will bolt to any bravo upper, but Dean uses his own vertical and prop shaft that are not interchangeable with bravos. Dean told me the new lower will bolt up to my existing Bmax upper.

Thanks for the info, I always assumed the shafts were the same but now I know there is actually a difference. When I have trashed lower gears I have felt it thru the floor of the boat and headed straight in. It always spreads metal thru the whole drive too which sucks :( ,Smitty

zt260 02-21-2006 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by X-Driver
What's that Cmate run w/ 1400hp, Zt260?

I've never run WOT with full boost. But at 12Ibs I see 105mph
I plan to push it over 110mph this summer if everything’s perfect.

zt260 02-21-2006 09:32 PM

Smitty,

The real beauty of the Bmax is the separation of the upper and lower. The oil is not circulated so a blown lower will not affect the uppers oil.

Vinny P 02-21-2006 10:01 PM

Smitty,

The real beauty of the Bmax is the separation of the upper and lower. The oil is not circulated so a blown lower will not affect the uppers oil.

I didnt know that. Thats a great idea..

MarkSmith 02-21-2006 10:11 PM

Hey ZT, I used to have a 253 with 710hp and kept blowing drives.(5 in 2 years). The term "running out of boat" does apply.

Strip Poker 388 02-21-2006 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends
Strip,I'm under the impression the current b-max lower bolts on identical to a std merc lower or a imco lower but is no stronger than any of the others out there (billet shaft,xr gears etc). Any idea if the new lower when its done will bolt onto the old b-max which would mean it would be a good retrofit for guys like you and zt-260 without buying a whole complete new drive and it would then also bolt to other drives like my max worx upgraded upper? That would be nice but I bet dean also beefed up the vertical shaft with bigger dia too,Smitty

To use a Bmax lower you have to use a different vert shaft.The BMax shaft is thicker like the prop shaft. the coupler is larger also.

I bet when he get the new lower gears .and he puts his bravo vert shaft[to fit your] he would guaranty it to the 950 hp/TQ

Strip Poker 388 02-21-2006 10:59 PM

\n
Dave the prop looks real close to the cav plate on the foot?

Also how do you like the BMax crescent lower ? I am trying to get Dean to give me a price for 2 the last 3 weeks.

I have the standard low water pickup merc XRlower case. I wonder if the B Max crescent lower will pick me up any at around 100mph?

articfriends 02-22-2006 01:50 AM

Smitty,

WOW,My opinion of b-max just got seriously raised,that is one of the BEST ideas I have heard on these drives yet!!Smitty

zt260 02-22-2006 08:33 AM

\n
Dave the prop looks real close to the cav plate on the foot?

Also how do you like the BMax crescent lower ? I am trying to get Dean to give me a price for 2 the last 3 weeks.

I have the standard low water pickup merc XRlower case. I wonder if the B Max crescent lower will pick me up any at around 100mph?

That picture is with my standard length lower, the maximus clears by 1/4". On my 2" shorty which I run now, I had to grind the plate out to clear, but it works great and I gained a few mph.

I really like the Bmax crescent lower. Its tube is shorter and the skag is smaller. It’s defiantly faster than my old sportmaster lower. I don't know how it will compare to a stock merc lower. I was always afraid of blow out. I highly doubt you will lose speed, and there's a good chance you’ll gain, especially if you start raising the X dimension, and try different props.

zt260 02-22-2006 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by MarkSmith
Hey ZT, I used to have a 253 with 710hp and kept blowing drives.(5 in 2 years). The term "running out of boat" does apply.

I realize I'm pushing it, but you would not believe how stable it rides at 100mph. If nothing else I like to cruise at 80mph, so the extra power comes in handy.

I would have brought a larger hull, but I trailer this boat and anything longer would be too much trouble with the family. Honestly I'm happy where I am right now, and I don't need more HP.
(Was that out loud)

Vinny P 02-22-2006 06:02 PM

Honestly I'm happy where I am right now, and I don't need more HP.
(Was that out loud)

Yeah right... That what we all say. Save the b.s. for the wife. :D Thats what I always do.

JaayTeee 02-23-2006 11:17 AM

That picture is with my standard length lower, the maximus clears by 1/4". On my 2" shorty which I run now, I had to grind the plate out to clear, but it works great and I gained a few mph.

I really like the Bmax crescent lower. Its tube is shorter and the skag is smaller. It’s defiantly faster than my old sportmaster lower. I don't know how it will compare to a stock merc lower. I was always afraid of blow out. I highly doubt you will lose speed, and there's a good chance you’ll gain, especially if you start raising the X dimension, and try different props.

What diameter maximus are you running ?

I'm thinking of getting a set of the 2" shorty's,
and I have 15 1/4 " diameter maximus's, and wondering
if this will be a problem.

How much material did you have to remove ?

zt260 02-23-2006 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
What diameter maximus are you running ?

I'm thinking of getting a set of the 2" shorty's,
and I have 15 1/4 " diameter maximus's, and wondering
if this will be a problem.

How much material did you have to remove ?

If you’re getting Bmax shortys, you should be fine at 15 1/4".
Mine are 15 5/8", I removed about a 1/4 inch. Dean will do it for you when you order.

JaayTeee 02-23-2006 12:38 PM

Smitty,

.....One more question,

Is there a "fill" level plug on the lower ?
( similar to that of an outboard lower ? )

Being there not connected,
changing oil in the upper ( reg bravo)
could be messy :eek:

zt260 02-23-2006 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
.....One more question,

Is there a "fill" level plug on the lower ?
( similar to that of an outboard lower ? )

Being there not connected,
changing oil in the upper ( reg bravo)
could be messy :eek:

There is an oil passage between the lower and upper, so changing the oil is no different.

The difference is the lack or oil circulation from the lower to the upper. Bravos continuously pump oil throughout the drive, which is fine until something blows.

Sorry I wasn't specific.