Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   WoW, Inflatable PFD....Something you should know (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/123739-wow-inflatable-pfd-something-you-should-know.html)

cgarrett 03-01-2006 12:26 PM

WoW, Inflatable PFD....Something you should know

1 Attachment(s)
I do not know if this applies to all inflatable PFD's but I thought it was worth bringing to everyones attention that unless you are wearing it the PFD DOES NOT count towards the number you may need on board.

I learned something new today.

"USCG Type Type V with Type III performance: This vest must be worn to be counted in vessel's inventory of PFDs"

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...oductId=221657

Cordell

Brad Zastrow 03-01-2006 12:32 PM

Re: WoW, Inflatable PFD....Something you should know

I would leave those things on your fishing boat. I see Poker Runners wearing those and I cringe. They are not designed for high speed impacts.

Ron P 03-01-2006 01:42 PM

Those inflatables are designed for having a boat sink under your feet while at a dead stop. Don't expect those to do ANYTHING for you if you get tossed out at 40 mph or higher.

glassdave 03-01-2006 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I would leave those things on your fishing boat. I see Poker Runners wearing those and I cringe. They are not designed for high speed impacts.

ditto . . .you'de be luckey if that even stays on uninflated at impact even at moderate speeds. i use SRP canopy style vests.

orss 03-01-2006 04:30 PM

any person that ride in an open boat must wear a pfd that have visible color (orange for ex.) have to be solid for various reasons, more buoyancy, turn you over,absorb impact (in case you get ejected), for those runnings in close canopy you have to wear an inflatable, why? in case you are upside down you will have negative buoyancy and can exit your boat. RF(Offshore Rescue,Service & Supplies)

orss 03-01-2006 04:51 PM

and for you guys that like BOAT SAFETY, i recomende to check the coat guard, boat safety web site there some recalls in fire extinguishers and flare guns. rf

CAP071 03-01-2006 05:54 PM

I'd never wear one unless I was bass fishing :D

Brad Zastrow 03-01-2006 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by orss
for those runnings in close canopy you have to wear an inflatable, why? in case you are upside down you will have negative buoyancy and can exit your boat. RF(Offshore Rescue,Service & Supplies)

I am not sure I understand that logic of the canopy boat. If the canopy fills with water the inflatable will inflate and you would have the same negative bouyancy. Many times they do not fill with water right away. Most canopy boats are required to have escape hatches in the floor for racing. Upside down and you go up to the ecape hatch. I also think offshore racers use lifeline canopy style jackets which look thinner and fit through the legs. I would like to understand this as I have a new full canopy boat with seat belts along with an escape hatch and I am about to order 6 jackets for Poker Runs.

glassdave 03-01-2006 09:15 PM

Brad the canopy vests dont inflate automatically and i dont think the hatch is manditory. mine fit very snugly and have a mesh type material that keep the whole thing tight. its similar to the one pictured above but built for racing. the air bags are tucked into the vest and held in velcro pockets there is a rip cord at the bottom to inflate. i will take some pics. i have four on the boat for myself and passangers.

orss 03-02-2006 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I am not sure I understand that logic of the canopy boat. If the canopy fills with water the inflatable will inflate and you would have the same negative buoyancy. Many times they do not fill with water right away. Most canopy boats are required to have escape hatches in the floor for racing. Upside down and you go up to the scape hatch. I also think offshore racers use lifeline canopy style jackets which look thinner and fit through the legs. I would like to understand this as I have a new full canopy boat with seat belts along with an escape hatch and I am about to order 6 jackets for Poker Runs.

SOME OF THE BOAT HAVE BOTTOM HATCH, OTHERS NOT(CATS) BUT ALSO YOU VAVE DEEP V WITH CLOSE CANOPY'S AND THOSE BOAT CAN'T HAVE BOTTON HATCH, THE REASON THAT YOU WANT NEGATIVE BUOYANCY IN A CLOSE CANOPY IS , IN A EVENT OF THE BOAT FLIP(HATCH WILL BE FACING THE BOTTON),WITH NEGATIVE BUOYANCY YOU CAN SWIM DOWN TO THE HATCH AND EXIT THE BOAT, IF YOU HAVE POSITIVE BUOYANCY THAT WILL KEEP YOU UP AND YOU CAN'T REACH YOUR HATCH AND EXIT, RF