Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Miami Vice Promo Boat Appearance Prices? >

Miami Vice Promo Boat Appearance Prices?

Notices

Miami Vice Promo Boat Appearance Prices?

Old 03-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Miami Vice Promo Boat Appearance Prices?

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Years ago (during the series), they had THE Scarab (that everyone knows) in Chicago, on the back of an 18 wheeler. The entire cast and the boat were doing a nationwide promotional tour... EXCEPT, Don Johnson and PMT. I was miffed the two main characters were not there.

The boat was bad-ass, especially to see it right there in front of you. My father has a polaroid of me at the wheel. I think I was 12.

I hate to rain on your parade FS, but I think if you advertised as a promotion "Come see the Miami Vice Boat" and you showed up with only a 21' stunt boat; you would have some angry attendees. Aside from the handful of folks nationwide that would want to see the 38 Scarab KV or even the Chris Craft Stinger, only 1-2% would even know a 21' Scarab had anything to do with the show; and you would spend most of your time explaining the relationship your boat had with the show. Its not going to be a money maker, and you are going to lose your voice. I'd like seeing Tony Stewart's Nextel Cup NASCAR for about 30 seconds, but his dirt track practice car is not going to flip my lid; especially if I can't drive either one.
I can totally see your point and I both agree and disagree with you, but I'm going to go ahead and try it anyway. As I mentined before, my friend does it with a Delorean that he made up, no relationship to the movie, he just bought a Delorean, put the props in it/made some and went from there. I know of some companies that do it with replica General Lee's and Torino's from Starsky and Hutch.

If I can make some money doing it great, if not OK too as I really just enjoy talking to people about the boat, the show, etc. If I could find one of the KV's I'd be first in line to buy it believe me, my problem though is with a boat that large, to lug it around like I want to do would be difficult. I also have a lead on the guy who owns both the Daytona Replica and the Testerossa Replica (one was real the other was on a Pantera) from the show. I keep trying to make him and offer but no dice.

I guess I just love the Vice that all.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

the kiddies do get their panties in a wad though at world of wheels shows to see the General lee and washed up nascar stars.... Last month I saw Cindy williams of Laverne and Shirley/American graffiti fame, and the dark haired guy from american Grafitti working the rod show, it was hilarious, all the old greasers going up to get the autograph of an older has been greaser...but, they probably got paid something...
Old 03-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Registered

The original white Testerossa is owned by Preston Henn, he has it on display at the Swap Shop in Lauderdale, there were a few props with it and it's free to see it. Maybe 10 years ago, they used it for a calender shot. (with girls) Most guys were more interested in the women.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Registered

real simple the hipe is for the non performance boaters the real ones know that the welcraft wasnt sh*t just a welcraft with bad strigers like the rest of them back then end of story, if you can market that in todays crowd more power to you.... we all know though that the fountains, outerlimits, ect... will make that welcraft sink so whats your point sell to the suckers that dont know any better????

did you buy it to make money, attract attention or because you liked it???

sorry my 2 cents

Last edited by GOODT; 03-03-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Registered

You could buy this and tell everyone it`s the ''Broke Back Mountain'' Boat and park it in front of the theaters.
I believe it was made by ''pickle Smoocher Powerboats''.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Registered

First of all... Sweet Boat.
But I am really surprised that the studio granted you an appearance and merchandising license on the 21' boat. Normally they are kind of selective with their brand placement.

Which is why the various appearances are with the blessing of, underwritten by, and promoted by............ the license holders.

We have booked Mr. T, The Hershey Kissmobile, The Harlem Globetrotters, Race Cars, Rubber Ducks, Hot Air Balloons, Sports Personalities.... a whole bunch of stuff. It was always in conjunction with the license holder.

If someone approached me and wanted me to book something like you have I would pass without a thought.

If you brought it to my town I would stop by and look at it and buy you a beer and look for other cool boats. There are tons of cool boats. Not so cool on a trailer unless it's a serious show trailer.
People don't book that kind of thing. There's very little draw.

You make the mistake of imposing your perspective on your audience, and as cool as that boat is.... you overestimate the market's awareness of it and passion for it because your's is so strong.
Happens all the time.

I'd pass on the batmobile too. With or without dork in suit.
I don't even want the general lee. Whoo hoo. look at it for 20 seconds....
move on.
Ferrari and I am each having events. He is offering peeps of his boat on a trailer. I am offering rides in an Augusta Twin Turbine Medical Evacuation Helicopter.
How long is each line? Which one is an "experience that your will remember long after the event?"

I have Hot Air Balloons too. And Miss America occasionally... Who wants what?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:07 PM
yss
Registered

Originally Posted by Roger 1
You could buy this and tell everyone it`s the ''Broke Back Mountain'' Boat and park it in front of the theaters.
I believe it was made by ''pickle Smoocher Powerboats''.
Now that's a PANTIE PULLER!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
First of all... Sweet Boat.
But I am really surprised that the studio granted you an appearance and merchandising license on the 21' boat. Normally they are kind of selective with their brand placement.

Which is why the various appearances are with the blessing of, underwritten by, and promoted by............ the license holders.

We have booked Mr. T, The Hershey Kissmobile, The Harlem Globetrotters, Race Cars, Rubber Ducks, Hot Air Balloons, Sports Personalities.... a whole bunch of stuff. It was always in conjunction with the license holder.

If someone approached me and wanted me to book something like you have I would pass without a thought.

If you brought it to my town I would stop by and look at it and buy you a beer and look for other cool boats. There are tons of cool boats. Not so cool on a trailer unless it's a serious show trailer.
People don't book that kind of thing. There's very little draw.

You make the mistake of imposing your perspective on your audience, and as cool as that boat is.... you overestimate the market's awareness of it and passion for it because your's is so strong.
Happens all the time.

I'd pass on the batmobile too. With or without dork in suit.
I don't even want the general lee. Whoo hoo. look at it for 20 seconds....
move on.
Ferrari and I am each having events. He is offering peeps of his boat on a trailer. I am offering rides in an Augusta Twin Turbine Medical Evacuation Helicopter.
How long is each line? Which one is an "experience that your will remember long after the event?"

I have Hot Air Balloons too. And Miss America occasionally... Who wants what?
At least I get a free beer out of it. That's two free beers. Maybe if I go to enough places I could get a six pack and then sell that

Thanks for all the comments both positive and negative. We'll see what happens. I appreciate the feedback. Like I said I have absolutely nothing to loose except for a little time and effort and then who knows what will come out of it. I'd rather try and fail then not try at all.

But you did mention one thing. You said that you would stop by and look at it.....which is the point. If a business could use it to get one extra person to stop by, then the boat (or whatever marketing means someone uses, guy in an ape costume) has done it's job. This is where I think the boat will do well, but I could be wrong. And if I'm wrong then I still get to have fun in the water with the boat.....#1 purpose.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ferraristyle
No I am very serious on the questions. The series used approximately 8 boats during it's 5 year run on TV. The first season featured a 39 Chris Craft Stinger 390 (2), Seasons 2-5 used a 38 Wellcraft Scarab KV (4) and a 21 (actually 23 but no platforms) Wellcraft Scarab I (2). Mine is from season 4 and 5.

Here are some pics with Don and Philip on the boat, as well as an artist conception shot of my boat, as well as one of the two certificates of authenticity that I have with the boat

http://gallery.thevboard.com/showpic...12_b%20(2).jpg

http://gallery.thevboard.com/showpic...Flowers005.JPG

http://gallery.thevboard.com/showpic...&pic=boat1.jpg

http://gallery.thevboard.com/showpic...ic=c8_12_b.jpg

Any helpful input would be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance

I would charge $12,000 per hour plus expenses. At these appearances, Will the boat be signing autographs?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Registered

When I was a kid growing up my buddies dad had 2 or 3 cars painted up like the General Lee, & he would do stunts w/ them. Maybe you guys could work a deal to show up together...LOL

Honestly if it really did work & you started making any kind of money, I'm sure a lawsuit would'nt be far behind

Quick Reply: Miami Vice Promo Boat Appearance Prices?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.