Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best place to buy marine AC system?? >

Best place to buy marine AC system??

Notices

Best place to buy marine AC system??

Old 03-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Best place to buy marine AC system??

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
Where's the best pricing?

I was looking at this unit.

http://www.marineair.com/pdfs/L-2124.pdf

Found it here for 1399.99

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...atalogId=10051

I'm looking at the 5K unit and it only draws 3.1amps. An inverter will run that.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

These have me very interested....Any scoop on them ?
http://www.brilliantcooler.com/condi...nditioners.htm

The "Melting Ice" units do nothing for Humidity....That wont help around here
Old 03-06-2006, 12:30 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Just ordered a 5K air only unit from a local dealer for $1,100. Includes pump kit and fittings. Responded to Shah Mat's thread on the "other" site. Let me know if interested.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by birdog
These have me very interested....Any scoop on them ?
http://www.brilliantcooler.com/condi...nditioners.htm

The "Melting Ice" units do nothing for Humidity....That wont help around here
I borrowed a friends hatch unit last year a few times. The biggest drawback is storing it while not in use. It's so big it seemed like it was always in the way.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
I borrowed a friends hatch unit last year a few times. The biggest drawback is storing it while not in use. It's so big it seemed like it was always in the way.
These are smaller,lighter & you dont have to lift them up on the deck...They just stay in the cabin....Hatch unit is out of the question for me.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:54 PM
RHC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bird Dog,,, At your age ya better take advantage of all the sunshine you can get ,,, just bring along an extra $100 and spend the really hot nights at the Holiday Inn Express!!

Look forward to seeing ya on the 24th of June!!! U can ride with me if your not together!!

RHC
Old 03-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

there was a dc unit at the show I have literature at home will dig it out tonight this mayby a alternative depending on the draw and your alternator out put and battery sizes. Just think in the middle of the night fire up a motor to cool down for a while would make all teh fellow bioaters happy
lol
Old 03-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

http://www.dcbreeze.com/
depending on how long you need to run it this could be an alternative
Old 03-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Registered

Gentlemen,
I stumbled across this thread and would like to answer some of the questions that have been raised about the Bay Air Cooling System. A good rule of thumb for ice consumption is around 10 lbs per hour. We recommend a 2-3 cubic foot ice compartment for overnighting. Our system works much like a conventional A/C system, in principal. We are circulating a coolant through a heat exchanger and a fan blows across the exchanger and cool air is created. However, instead of using an energy consuming compressed gas, we are using water that is around 32 deg. F. The air that is emitted from our unit is actually cooler than a compressed gas system due to the risk of a compressed gas system freezing up. Our unit will not freeze over. The Bay Air System is not a swamp cooler. Swamp coolers only work in areas with low humidity. Our unit will work in all climates and in fact our unit is an excellent de-humidifier which is half the battle in creating a comfortable environment. Let me explain how the system works. We use a standard Attwood 750gph pump. This pump is inherently an on-off pump. Through our control unit we have converted the pump into a variable speed pump. We have two controls on our unit, one fan speed control (High, Medium, and Low) and a temperature control. Let's say you set the temperature to 72 deg. and turn the unit to high fan. The system immediately begins to emit cool air and begins monitoring the cabin air temperature and comparing it to the set temperature of 72 deg. Once the cabin air temperature approaches 72 deg. the pump begins to slow down. Once the cabin air temperature of 72 deg. is achieved the pump slows to whatever speed to maintain that temperature. This is how our unit maintains the desired temperature in the cabin and also conserves ice. More ice is used in the first part of the cool down process where you are requiring the most energy. The gentleman with the 39 Nortech doesn't have enough ice storage, 20 qts isn't enough for the initial cool down. He could use block ice and that would increase his cooling time and could probably get an hour out of a 20qt cooler. Let me know how that does. Our unit only weighs 18lbs (25lbs for the ducted unit), and has a 6500 BTU cooling capacity. The advantages of our unit over other AC systems are:
1. You do not have to be connected to shore power allowing you to have AC anywhere on the water.
2. Maintaining a heavy bank of batteries is not required. Because of a max amp draw of only 3.3 amps one group 24 marine battery will power our unit for 20hrs. So multiple nights on the water can easily be achieved without a shore power recharge. Normally, the days activities is enough to replenish the battery to a full charge.
3. Run light when you want to. Our unit only weighs 18 lbs, add the ice when you need AC.
4. Most AC systems require generators and along with that comes the worry of carbon monoxide poisoning.
5. Installation is simple and clean.
The Bay Air Cooling System is not the answer for everyone. It is however, an excellent cooling solution for those who don't have the room or want the permanent weight of a conventional system. Which brings me to this. We offer a 30/30 guarantee that blows away any warranty in marine air.
If for any reason you are not satisfied with the system within 30 days of receiving it send it back and we will refund your money less shipping. Also, if the system fails for any reason within 30 months, other than submersion or abnormal abuse (Our unit will handle the rigors and abuse of high performance offshore power boating.) we will repair or replace the unit for free.
Unit costs
Standard Bay Air Cooling System $1500.00
Ducted Bay Air Cooling System $2300.00
If you have any further questions or would like to talk about your specific application, please call me at 251-554-1214.
Thank you,
Mark Mize