Old 03-10-2006, 11:50 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alabama Senate passes alarming boat ban bill

FIGHT PEOPLE!!!!!

Boating Industry
Friday March 10, 2006

WASHINGTON – A boat ban that passed the Alabama State Senate Judiciary Committee in a closed session Wednesday is causing alarm throughout the boating community, the National Marine Manufacturers Association reported in a statement yesterday.

Senate Bill 487 would ban houseboats, boats more than 30'6” and boats with engines in excess of 500 horsepower in nine Alabama reservoirs, each a major regional vacation destination, according to NMMA.

“Where are the public hearings to debate the frightening effects this bill would have?,” asked Monita Fontaine, NMMA vice president of government affairs. “Senators are showing blatant disregard for the public, for whom these lakes were created, by moving forward with this legislation behind closed doors. SB 487 would deny families opportunities to enjoy their public waterways, and the public deserves to know the restrictions their elected representatives are proposing to put on their recreational opportunities. This is not good government.”

NMMA stated that the bill discriminates against the thousands of taxpayers - supporting hundreds of small marine businesses - whose boats would be banned from the Alabama lakes, and suggested that the loss in tourism dollars would be tremendous.

The bill is backed by homeowners associations serving those who live on the shores of these nine reservoirs, calling into question the true motivation behind the bill, NMMA added. Under the bill's provisions, new access to the lakes would be blocked, marinas and other businesses that rent houseboats and fishing boats would face financial hardship, and the families that vacation on houseboats on these beautiful lakes would be turned away, the association reported.

Fontaine also expressed concern that restricting boat access on the nine popular lakes would create dangerous overcrowding on other unrestricted lakes.

“I don't understand this sudden movement against the culture of family boating in the state,” she stated. “Senators are telling families that they're only welcome on these bodies of water if their boating choices fit into this very specific niche. There has never been anything like this anywhere in the country.”

NMMA has sent an alert to its Alabama members asking them to contact their state Senators. It said it would make more information on the issue available at www.nmma.org/government.

Last edited by Blue by You; 03-10-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Alabama Senate passes alarming boat ban bill

Old 03-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's friggin ridiculous. Who comes up with this sht? 30 ft and 500 hp....How arbitrary!!
Old 03-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Registered

Only in Alabama! These idiots do things like this just to get into the National Spotlight. They must be feeling left out since they did not get much coverage on the hurricanes this past year. I am sure thankful that I do not live in Alabama or boat there.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Registered

I've rewritten this to help clarify it:

WASHINGTON – A boat ban thet passed th' Alabama State Senate Judiciary Committee in a closed sesshun Wednesday is causin' alarm throughout th' boatin' community, th' Nashunal Marine Manufackurers Associashun repo'ted in a statement yessuhterday. Senate Billy Joe 487'd ban houseboats, boats mo'e than 30'6” an' boats wif ingines in excess of 500 houn'dogpower in nine Alabama reservoirs, etch a majo' regional vacashun destinashun, acco'din' t'NMMA. “Whar is th' public hearin's t'debate th' frightenin' effecks this hyar bill'd have?,” axed Monita Fontaine, NMMA vice president of govment affairs. “Senato's is showin' blatant disregard fo' th' public, fo' whom these lakes were created, by movin' fo'ward wif this hyar legislashun behind closed dores. SB 487'd deny families oppo'tunities t'enjoy their public waterways, an' th' public desarves t'knows th' restrickshuns their elecked representatives is proposin' t'put on their recreashunal oppo'tunities. This hyar is not fine govment.” NMMA stated thet th' bill discriminates aginst th' thousan's of taxpayers - suppo'tin' hundreds of small marine businesses - whose boats'd be banned fum th' Alabama lakes, an' suggested thet th' lost in tourism dollars'd be tremenjus. Th' bill is backed by homeownys associashuns servin' them who live on th' sho'es of these nine reservoirs, callin' into quesshun th' true motivashun behind th' bill, NMMA added, cuss it all t' tarnation. Unner th' bill's provishuns, noo access t'th' lakes'd be blocked, marinas an' other businesses thet rent houseboats an' fishin' boats'd face financial hardship, an' th' families thet vacashun on houseboats on these right purdy lakes'd be turned away, th' associashun repo'ted, cuss it all t' tarnation. Fontaine also expressed corncern thet restrickin' boat access on th' nine popular lakes'd create dangerous on overcrowdin' on other unrestricked lakes. “ah doesn't unnerstan' this hyar sudden movement aginst th' culture of fambly boatin' in th' state,” she stated, cuss it all t' tarnation. “Senato's is tellyng families thet they're only welcome on these bodies of water eff'n their boatin' choices fit into this hyar mighty specific niche. Thar has nevah been ennythin' like this hyar ennywhar in th' country.” NMMA has sent an alert t'its Alabama members axin' them t'contack their state Senato's. It said it'd make mo'e info'mashun on th' issue available at www.nmma.o'g/govment.

Originally Posted by Blue by You
FIGHT PEOPLE!!!!!

Boating Industry
Friday March 10, 2006

WASHINGTON – A boat ban that passed the Alabama State Senate Judiciary Committee in a closed session Wednesday is causing alarm throughout the boating community, the National Marine Manufacturers Association reported in a statement yesterday.

Senate Bill 487 would ban houseboats, boats more than 30'6” and boats with engines in excess of 500 horsepower in nine Alabama reservoirs, each a major regional vacation destination, according to NMMA.

“Where are the public hearings to debate the frightening effects this bill would have?,” asked Monita Fontaine, NMMA vice president of government affairs. “Senators are showing blatant disregard for the public, for whom these lakes were created, by moving forward with this legislation behind closed doors. SB 487 would deny families opportunities to enjoy their public waterways, and the public deserves to know the restrictions their elected representatives are proposing to put on their recreational opportunities. This is not good government.”

NMMA stated that the bill discriminates against the thousands of taxpayers - supporting hundreds of small marine businesses - whose boats would be banned from the Alabama lakes, and suggested that the loss in tourism dollars would be tremendous.

The bill is backed by homeowners associations serving those who live on the shores of these nine reservoirs, calling into question the true motivation behind the bill, NMMA added. Under the bill's provisions, new access to the lakes would be blocked, marinas and other businesses that rent houseboats and fishing boats would face financial hardship, and the families that vacation on houseboats on these beautiful lakes would be turned away, the association reported.

Fontaine also expressed concern that restricting boat access on the nine popular lakes would create dangerous overcrowding on other unrestricted lakes.

“I don't understand this sudden movement against the culture of family boating in the state,” she stated. “Senators are telling families that they're only welcome on these bodies of water if their boating choices fit into this very specific niche. There has never been anything like this anywhere in the country.”

NMMA has sent an alert to its Alabama members asking them to contact their state Senators. It said it would make more information on the issue available at www.nmma.org/government.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:33 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kr1276
Only in Alabama! These idiots do things like this just to get into the National Spotlight. They must be feeling left out since they did not get much coverage on the hurricanes this past year. I am sure thankful that I do not live in Alabama or boat there.
I wish only in Alabama

Its a new state every month, decisions being made by people that have never been on a boat. "30 feet? that sounds big" "500 HP? my car only has 200, why do you need that much?" What makes it worse most of the constituents in our great country have no idea either, they sign petitions because they fear the unknown.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Hold on there,kr,I resemble that remark The bill has NOT passed,it just came out of a 10 person committee.I have been assured by several well connected people that I trust that it has no prayer of passing,but we have to be vigilent and fight it. The NMMA is involved,our state association is involved,Brunswick Boat Group is involved,and we have a battle plan.This was a case of one misguided guy that has an agenda,and got a Senator to introduce a crazy bill. Come on down to Alabama,bring your big,fast boats,or I'll take you out in one of mine. Seriously, all of us in Alabama are looking at this as a serious threat and we are taking the steps necessary to get it stopped. I will keep you posted. Robert

Last edited by Magicfloat; 03-10-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Registered

Thanks Robert,

Need any help from the beach just let us know.

Sam

Gulf Coast Powerboat Association
Orange Beach, Alabama
Home of "Thunder on the Gulf"
Old 03-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Been on the phone so much today about this we barely had time to rig the Formula 330SS I sold this morning. Under the bill,it would be illegal. Guess a 330SS is an evil boat There is a lot going on,I will know much more Tuesday,but I got a call 5 minutes ago that makes me feel much better.The folks backing this bill are good people,they are just misinformed.We intend to remedy that.But even if we win this one,there is always next year,have to stay up on things. Same thing has started in Georgia.