Like Tree0Likes

Spookiest thing you have seen while boating

Old 03-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Registered

Default Re: Spookiest thing you have seen while boating

When I was maybe 8 years old I was fishing for Carp with my Dad, my older brother, and our best friend ( he had the outboard) in a rented, open 16 foot marina boat on the Susquhanna River at like 3 in the morning, really dark.
We had two flash lights and an old Coleman Lantern, couldn't see more than 20 yards.
All at once my Pops friend says "What the hell is that !"
This huge black thing comes at us, real, real slow, down the river. It seemed like we watched it forever, getting closer and closer.
It hits the boat , this thing is maybe 10 foot higher than the boat ! It gently pushes us aside and continues down river. My Pop says " it looked like a tank car" ?
Sure enough we found out the next day, up river, maybe 2 or 3 miles they had a derailment and about 7 cars went in the drink. I still remember how scared I was not knowing and watching that thing come at us. I still get the shivers thinking about it.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Registered

My Boats: 98 Baja 36 Outlaw

Not spooky but scary.. Last summer heading back to tha marina with a full load from a concert we were idling through the no wake zone. Hear big blocks behind us. Turn around to see a outline of a go-fast barrelling down on us, in the no wake zone. Turn to get on the throttles and move. At the same moment, get water sprayed across my boat by a 42 Fountain running at speed at night. No chance of catching it due to load and my trim tabs not working. I would never have gotten up on plane. Closest I came to being a thread on OSO about another fatal boating accident.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 28 Pantera 24 Python

Saw a 300 pound women in a bikini I still wake up screaming some nights
Old 03-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos10meter
When I was maybe 8 years old I was fishing for Carp with my Dad, my older brother, and our best friend ( he had the outboard) in a rented, open 16 foot marina boat on the Susquhanna River at like 3 in the morning, really dark.
We had two flash lights and an old Coleman Lantern, couldn't see more than 20 yards.
All at once my Pops friend says "What the hell is that !"
This huge black thing comes at us, real, real slow, down the river. It seemed like we watched it forever, getting closer and closer.
It hits the boat , this thing is maybe 10 foot higher than the boat ! It gently pushes us aside and continues down river. My Pop says " it looked like a tank car" ?
Sure enough we found out the next day, up river, maybe 2 or 3 miles they had a derailment and about 7 cars went in the drink. I still remember how scared I was not knowing and watching that thing come at us. I still get the shivers thinking about it.

that would be absolutely freaky! probably more so because it made no noise and until it was on you you would have no idea what it was

great idea for a thread klaw
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-18-2006, 12:42 PM
naplesimage.com
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Every One In Sight

Dashboard lights in the sky...

Southbound around sunset in the ICW heading for Myrtle Beach, had to wait for the swing bridge just north of Calabash, seemed to take forever, it was dead high tide and no way to sneak under... got in behind two chicks in an older jetboat (about 24ft w a pontiac 455- ya gotta love those south carolina girls!)-- I'm following about hundred feet and the driver in the jetboat starts to open it up-- dark now and I don't care to run at speed at night no matter how well I know the wawa or how much candlepower I got. I lose sight of them as they make the right turn coming up to the inlet at the Calabash River. They miss the channel marker at the inlet and nail the oyster shell jetty (maybe only 18" above the water because of the high tide). hit it almost perfectly square. They were easily going 40 and it launched the boat about 20 feet into the air. I came around the bend in time to see the dash lights of the boat floating WAY UP THERE and then disappear. It was dark and the lights were all I could see- it was so wierd and unexpected it took a few seconds to get my mind around it. I pull out of the throttle and circle back- knowing I am gonna be pulling bodies out of the water. nope. backside of the jetty is 2ft of marshgrass and they landed on it like a freakin mattress- the passenger was standing in the hatchway and was thrown onto the berth- not even a bruise, jetboat had no outdrive to snag on the bank. Talk about lucky. I gathered them in and bought some drinks at the little bar there and continued on. stopped on the way back from House of Blues the next morning and looked at the groove in the shells-- if that boat hadn't hit so square it would have landed on top of them.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 24 Pantera

Sa a Hammerhead shark suface right next to the boat.........while docked at Shooters in Ft Lauderdale
Old 03-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Registered

My Boats: 38 Scarab AVS

I met Klaw and Old School in Miami... that was pretty freaky.

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old 03-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Driver-441
Racer

My Boats: 32 Cobra Raceboat, 27 Avanti Raceboat 27 Kryptonite Raceboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Minded
I met Klaw and Old School in Miami... that was pretty freaky.

Sorry, couldn't resist...