Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Houston, TX (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/124715-houston-tx.html)

RedDog382 03-13-2006 12:04 AM

Houston, TX

Considering a position in Houston in the coming year and wondered about cost of living/boating/social life for singles there. Any feedback appreciated.

yahoo 03-13-2006 06:38 AM

Re: Houston, TX

The cost of living is low considering it is the 4th largest city in the country. Highways are always under construction especially right now "I10".

But being the 4th largest city there is always something going on.

The weather is very humid very similiar to Miami without the breeze, almost never snows and only drops into the 30's once or twice a year. August is so hot its almost unbearable.

Lived here 40+ years wouldnt live anywhere else.

Oh yeah there is pretty much year round boating if you dont mind wearing a coat.

Curtis

29scarab 03-13-2006 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by yahoo
The cost of living is low considering it is the 4th largest city in the country. Highways are always under construction especially right now "I10".

But being the 4th largest city there is always something going on.

The weather is very humid very similiar to Miami without the breeze, almost never snows and only drops into the 30's once or twice a year. August is so hot its almost unbearable.

Lived here 40+ years wouldnt live anywhere else.

Oh yeah there is pretty much year round boating if you dont mind wearing a coat.

Curtis

Lots of places for boating ,,,but yahoo covered it all.. Been here 39 years and wouldn't live anywhere else!! :D

FeverFan 03-13-2006 08:10 AM

I have to agree with these two, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else either!

I've lived here over 30 years.

Wobble 03-13-2006 08:40 AM

Ive been here 28 years and travelled the world/country extensively. Great business environment and a lot going on.

Not that I'm in the market anymore, but the singles scene is as wild as you want it to be.

The boating is good and loud boats don't get hassled.

Yes it's humid and hot, the spring fall and winter are usually very nice. Summer is great as long as you are standing waist deep in the water with a cold brew.

What part of Houston is your job opportunity in?

Wobble 03-13-2006 08:47 AM

Forgot to mention, if you are in to racing, there are four dirt ovals, one paved oval, 1/4 mile drag strip that hosts the spring nationals and also an 1/8 mile drag strip. Several motorcross and go-cart race tracks.

There are lots of places to ride ATV's without being hassled. Many Harleys and bars that cater to them.

Not much in the way of snowmobiling :evilb:

Clay Washington 03-13-2006 09:06 AM

Texas is a great state. No state income taxes (but high property/school taxes), friendly people, great weather, good economy, plenty of boating...

I love Austin. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else! :D

masher44 03-13-2006 09:14 AM

For you Northerners, it is HOTTER than a two dollar pistol!!! I mean REAL HOT!!!! I love Texas and it is very very very reasonable to live. If you are buying land, I can seriously help you out :cool: We have communities where you build when and what you want (per the covenants) in DFW, Houston and San Antonio, New Brausfels, Canyon Lake and a few others in between.

yahoo 03-13-2006 09:23 AM

The property taxs are about to come down, they are holding a special session to fix them.

Of course the business tax is going up called a franchise tax in texas. Long story but its not alot I think about 4%.

Curtis

bglz42 03-13-2006 09:46 AM

I've lived in the Clear Lake/Galveston area for 45 years. Wouldn't live anywhere else...

The best looking women you'll ever see, also! Cannot beat Texas ladies! :D