Lets talk about Protecting our boats from theft

Notices

Lets talk about Protecting our boats from theft

Old 03-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Lets talk about Protecting our boats from theft

I have seen FAR to many boats get stolen on this and other forums over the last few years. Some have never been recovered, others like DamnDonzi and Catmans boats were found but with so much damage that the effort required to fix them is a daunting task.

There are many products out on the market now that can help. I have very little knowledge of products that will keep your boat from being broken into, ie alarms. IMO alarms are finiky on boats at best. There are definatly some on the market perhaps Big Yellow Cat or Andy Buzz can chime in. The problem that I see is that it is so easy to just rip out the alarm and the theif is fine. We all know what happens, or better put does not happen, when that car alarm goes off in the parking lot right!!

IMO the most important thing for you to do is to make sure that god forbid your boat gets stollen, how can you get it back fast. This is a unit that I like a lot http://www.vehicle-tracking.com/products/3100_int.html ANYONE can install it, you can hook it up in a location that it will be VERY hard to find and track it at will. If the theif disconnects the battery then it still can work.

What other products are out there? Anyone? Lets make it harder for these jack azzes to steel our stuff. Perhaps we can get the insurance companies to offer deductions on insurance?

Jon
Old 03-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lets talk about Protecting our boats from theft

Jon,

My company sells and installs numerous tracking products. This particular brand I am not familiar with. I did send them an email to contact me and will reply with my opinion after speaking with them.

Andy Buzz
Buzz-Off Alarm Systems
Maximum Audio
Tampa FL
Old 03-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Looks like a nice product and affordable too. I wonder if you could get a discount on your insurance rates for having a tracking system installed?
Old 03-16-2006, 04:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audio, that's an interesting device......but....it's only good for seeing where it has been, how fast it got there, and how long it has been sitting. It's not a tracking/locating device like Lo-Jack.
If I spent 250K to 375K on a boat I certainly would spend the bucks to have Lo-Jack installed. Small price to pay for security. Boats are too easy to steal and hard to trace.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Registered

Im lucky enough to keep my boats stored in my shop right next to my house. Wireless motion sensors, motion activaed flood lights, and lots of sirens. Not to mention an arsenal of large capacity semi automatic firearms and the hound. another trick is to just scatter a bunch of emty shell casings around where you store your boat and paint a few white outlines of bodies on the ground.

I dont think anyone will be getting into my building anytime soon.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:34 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Andy Buzz
Jon,

My company sells and installs numerous tracking products. This particular brand I am not familiar with. I did send them an email to contact me and will reply with my opinion after speaking with them.

Andy Buzz
Buzz-Off Alarm Systems
Maximum Audio
Tampa FL

Hey Andy good to see you are still on the site. Had not seen ya post in a long while. Lets see some of the ones that you are talking about/sell. Give us some links bro.

Jon
Old 03-16-2006, 06:38 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Iggy
Audio, that's an interesting device......but....it's only good for seeing where it has been, how fast it got there, and how long it has been sitting. It's not a tracking/locating device like Lo-Jack.
If I spent 250K to 375K on a boat I certainly would spend the bucks to have Lo-Jack installed. Small price to pay for security. Boats are too easy to steal and hard to trace.
Yes there are limitations to products like this. There are also limitations to lojak, IE they do not work in metal buildings all that well, so it is easy to get them off track. I just started to look into this a week or so ago in my free time. I had found that piece and a few others that I am looking at. I will keep you all updated as I search for something that I feel will be the best product and hope that guys like Andy will do the same. We need to stop all this as it is NOT helping our insurance!!!

Jon
Old 03-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Registered

Jon, are you concerned someone is looking to steal a "project" boat???...
Old 03-16-2006, 06:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Jon, are you concerned someone is looking to steal a "project" boat???...
LOL... Think he's safe with the '79?

You'd of thought he would've started the "How best to attract thieves to steal your boat" thread...
Old 03-16-2006, 07:03 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Ok I am going to find you and kill you both!!!!

Quick Reply: Lets talk about Protecting our boats from theft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.