Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat >

Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat

Notices

Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat

Old 03-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Experience Pulling 40'+ Boat

2003 ram 25004x4qc ctd has a tow rating of 12900 lbs formr bird man bring your duelly down and i'll drag you ass .
Old 03-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have towed a 42 OL from Rhode Island to Miami with my 02 2500 Duramax 4x4, did it fine, but that is because we were out of bigger trucks. I would say it can be done, but deffinately not for everybody.

The boat get's sucked in towards passing trailer trucks and even jersey barriers, and the sudden latteral movement of the boat makes the rear of the truck seem squirley, where the dually's and / or f-650's don't move.

I think you will be within load limits, depending on your vin #, but you have to drive the truck throught he crosswinds twice as hard as you would with a bigger truck.

I never had any breaking issues, but most boat trailers brakes work about 50% of the time, and I wouldn't want to try that weight on the small gm breaks on the 2500.

No question that the 06 Duramax and 6 speed allison will have the sack, but that is only half the battle.

Call a proffesional, especially with the cat, they will have all the permits available and know all of the routes that are better suited for the extra width. Call Joy at powerboat concierge service, she is the best.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:54 AM
sandman
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I found my 32' Nordic in TX, (I live in NC) I drove my 1/2 ton dodge up to Nashville and traded out with my brother's 1995 1 ton dodge dually w/turbo diesel. (250,000 on that truck) went to TX, replaced the tires and bearings on the trailer and pulled my boat home. I averaged about 65 mph and it pulled beatifully. The engines are out of the boat for freshening and I have my 1/2 ton back. (I use it to move the boat around in the yard if necessary) I love my 1/2 ton and gag at the prices of even used 1 tons. I look at it like guns, better to have too much than not enough. If I could afford it, i'd buy a CXT. Am currently in the market for a F350 4wd dually diesel because:
#1 My family will travel with me.
#2 If anything bad should happen, I want all the bases covered.
#3 There are other people/families using the same roads.

And who knows, maybe I'll eventually get a bigger boat. I'm new to the os powerboat world and have gotten some great advice from you guys. Most of the advice seems centered around common sense and proper equipment. Does all that cease when we pull these monsters away from the ramp?
I don't think anybody wants to risk being that dumbass all jacked up in the middle of the highway that everyone slows down to look at. Sorry for being long winded but this is my only outlet here in Iraq.....Casey