Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Motor Boating Magazine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/125342-motor-boating-magazine.html)

Hot Duck 03-19-2006 10:25 PM

Motor Boating Magazine

I got the April 2006 issue in the store the other day to check it out. The magazine overall is fine, but there was one thing in there that really irritated me. In the "Sounding Off" section of the magazine (page 12) there was a letter from a guy in Vermont that I thought I should post here. I am a firm believer that we can say what we feel in America (the freedom of speech thing), but this letter made me want to write a response. Here is the letter.

"I wonder if it's responsible of you to glamorize the Key West Worlds? Those boats must burn a hellacious amount of gas. I realize going fast is fun, and the folks in the pictures seem to be having a great time, but shouldn't you be glorifying activities that don't use so much of our natural resources? Call me a stick in the mud, but I could run my Prius for years on what just one of those race boats burns in a weekend. How about some articles on Trawlers?"

The letter was signed by Martin J. Glazer from Burlington, Vermont.

It seems that he is worried about the boats burning fuel, but he is complaining to MOTOR BOATING Magazine. Hello, motor, fuel, motor, fuel.

Anyhow, I just wanted to post this to get your feelings on it. I am sure that I am not the only one that gets fired up by reading this. Maybe we should flood Motor Boating with letters in response to this guy. Here is their contact info if anybody else wants to reply to him.

E-mail: [email protected]

USPS: Sounding Off
Motor Boating Magazine
18 Marshall Street, Suite 114
South Norwalk, CT 06854

Please keep in mind that this is not a post to bash Motor Boating Magazine. The magazine is fine and has some really good articles. This post is just to share the letter that this guy wrote about us, being the performance boating community in general. To me the letter wasn't just about the races, but seemed to reflect his opinion on go fasts in general. Now lets bombard them with e-mail replies!

R Addiction 03-19-2006 10:28 PM

Re: Motor Boating Magazine

You gotta love people like that.....Some tree hugger that lives in a cabin in the woods of Vermont!! I say to Mr. Glazer ....Just throw another log on the fire and shut the _uck up!!! :rolleyes:

Fast Shafts 03-19-2006 10:57 PM

Will,
Your right, if he's concerned about the enviornment, he should be reading "Sail" magazine. :rolleyes:

Motor Boat Magazine (not to be mixed up with "Motor Boating") had a 4 page spread on Key West. Included was a great shot of your old boat Cigarette, "Wanted" Racing. I came across the magazine while waiting in the Dentist office last week. I "borrowed" the magazine and passed it off to "Wanted" driver Mark. It was the February Issue, I attempted to find extra copies to pass on to Bill but could not find any. I'm sure Mark will call the mag for extra copies.
Bob

nolimits 03-19-2006 11:05 PM

Everyone deserves an opinion and thus, so does this individual. But, why is it so terrible to use natural resources? Why is that a bad thing? Because we will run out? Ok, then we'll convert our engines to alcohol or Hydrogen. I mean I know Vermont is far off and all, but perhaps he has not heard it's a market economy and demand drives what we buy. Perhaps he wants a nuclear power plant in his back yard? Me, I am looking for an new F250 to pull my 38. Also considering a Mustang GT500 rag top when they come out this summer.

nolimits 03-19-2006 11:09 PM

I think he is just a dweeb who is full of self righteous piety over the purchase of his new Prius.... and getting past by a mail truck...

dgrady 03-19-2006 11:43 PM

Dear Mr. Martin J. Glazer,

In response to your letter in concern to Go Fast Power Boating burning an excessive amount of fuel/natural resources. We in the Go Fast community are happy that you noticed our efforts in ridding the globe of these nasty resources. Often we feel that our efforts in this area go unnoticed, so we are always happy to see someone come forward vocally(or written response) and bring everyones attention to our efforts. We feel that these pesky fossil fuels have caused enough problems in the global arena with terrorism, corporate greed, environmental disasters...well you get the idea the list is endless. Clearly something had to be done. Thus large stretches of fiberglass, carbon fiber, and ENORMOUS cubic inches of internal combustion. Add a splash of color, some hot southern sun, a few beers, 100 bikinis, a few helicopters, and what you have is the finest human beings fighting the crude oil beast. It is draining at times and sometimes we feel as if we are losing the battle, but its concerned individuals like your self that make us grab that pump handle and say "This next fill up is for you Mr. Glazer!"

Glad you could join the call Mr. Glazer. WELCOME ABOARD!

How is Vermont this time of year?? I hear it is lovely there.

Signed,
Charles Barkley

P.S. Henry David Thoreau was an idiot!!!

Hot Duck 03-20-2006 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by dgrady
Dear Mr. Martin J. Glazer,

In response to your letter in concern to Go Fast Power Boating burning an excessive amount of fuel/natural resources. We in the Go Fast community are happy that you noticed our efforts in ridding the globe of these nasty resources. Often we feel that our efforts in this area go unnoticed, so we are always happy to see someone come forward vocally(or written response) and bring everyones attention to our efforts. We feel that these pesky fossil fuels have caused enough problems in the global arena with terrorism, corporate greed, environmental disasters...well you get the idea the list is endless. Clearly something had to be done. Thus large stretches of fiberglass, carbon fiber, and ENORMOUS cubic inches of internal combustion. Add a splash of color, some hot southern sun, a few beers, 100 bikinis, a few helicopters, and what you have is the finest human beings fighting the crude oil beast. It is draining at times and sometimes we feel as if we are losing the battle, but its concerned individuals like your self that make us grab that pump handle and say "This next fill up is for you Mr. Glazer!"

Glad you could join the call Mr. Glazer. WELCOME ABOARD!

How is Vermont this time of year?? I hear it is lovely there.

Signed,
Charles Barkley

P.S. Henry David Thoreau was an idiot!!!

dgrady: That is great! Did you e-mail it to them or can I do it? :p

Robert Geoghegan: Hey Bob! Thanks for the heads up on the picture. I will see if I can find their web site to see if it is on there!

sy goldberg 03-20-2006 07:25 AM

How much fuel has AIR FORCE 1 consumed at our expense transporting all of our presidents to their vacation destinations at taxpayer expense ?

CAP071 03-20-2006 07:28 AM

GOD this guy should see my Fuel bill every month for the fleet of postal trucks :D :eek:

dgrady 03-20-2006 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hot Duck
dgrady: That is great! Did you e-mail it to them or can I do it? :p

Robert Geoghegan: Hey Bob! Thanks for the heads up on the picture. I will see if I can find their web site to see if it is on there!

Well since I was speaking on everyones behalf, I thought it best to let it breath a bit on OSO, and let everyone add there .02. :D But, do feel free to send it in. I am sure that rag welcomes replies to their editorials....I just hope Charles Barkley doesn't mind if I use his name as a pseudonym. :cool: