General question about classifieds

Notices

General question about classifieds

Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: General question about classifieds

I skip them. I hate it when dealers do it because I have seen them go up in price on a boat

I figure they want to pre qualify the person.Like what do you have or have owned or what you do for a living

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not showing a price can only mean that the price hurts the sale of the product, not helps it. That translates into an overpriced product.

Last edited by JohnS; 03-24-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

McGary, that is exactly what I was saying. Each year we sigh a dealer agreement in order to be able to sell these mfr's boats. They (the mfr) make the rules that we (the dealer) have to play by. TeamBaja works at the plant, maybe he can verify what I am saying. The main reason I responded to this thread was I did not want people looking at our ads and assuming that because the boat is not priced we are screwing with you. I just kind of wanted to explain our position. Thanks, Brody
Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abwatersports
McGary, that is exactly what I was saying. Each year we sigh a dealer agreement in order to be able to sell these mfr's boats. They (the mfr) make the rules that we (the dealer) have to play by. TeamBaja works at the plant, maybe he can verify what I am saying. The main reason I responded to this thread was I did not want people looking at our ads and assuming that because the boat is not priced we are screwing with you. I just kind of wanted to explain our position. Thanks, Brody
Okay, I can understand the contract thing if that's the case. What I can't understand is why a MFR would prohibit you from printing a realistic price - In this day and age, all it takes is 5 minutes on a site like this to find out real world selling prices. It's no secret.

I still want to point out that it will hurt the marketing potential.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by abwatersports
I would at least list the msrp (saying it is msrp in the ad) that gives us a idea of what it can be bought for. Would be better then no price at all.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by beachbob
I would at least list the msrp (saying it is msrp in the ad) that gives us a idea of what it can be bought for. Would be better then no price at all.
I have to agree. Anytime someone doesn't list a price, I always wonder in the back of my mind, "Okay, what's wrong with this deal?"
Old 03-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to put pricing on ALL my ads.

However,you may want to keep this in mind. As a distributor, I'm sometimes restricted by a MAP [minimum advertised price] agreement. That means that some manufacturers restrict what you can show for pricing. In many cases, that's 10% off retail. In every case where I'm restricted, I can sell to you guys at substantially lower prices.

Like the majority of you, I prefer to see the price. And i I'd prefer to advertise a kick ass price in every ad.Unfortunately, I can't.

By not calling you may actually be passing up the best pricing available.

No salesman talk, no BS.

Just a little food for thought.

Last edited by TRICK; 03-24-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Registered

Even worse than no price, check out the Cig in the classifieds (OSO member initials JOE) requiring financial statement (verbal ok!) from financial institution because TOO MANY PEOPLE wanted to "just look" at his TG. LOSER
Old 03-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
I try to put pricing on ALL my ads.

However,you may want to keep this in mind. As a distributor, I'm sometimes restricted by a MAP [minimum advertised price] agreement. That means that some manufacturers restrict what you can show for pricing. In many cases, that's 10% off retail. In every case where I'm restricted, I can sell to you guys at substantially lower prices.

Like the majority of you, I prefer to see the price. And i I'd prefer to advertise a kick ass price in every ad.Unfortunately, I can't.

By not calling you may actually be passing up the best pricing available.

No salesman talk, no BS.

Just a little food for thought.

I understand your point Fred .But I think there talking about dealers with boats

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:49 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When listing new boats I would advertise the MSRP as MSRP. It at least gives a frame of reference to make a decision to call or not. Your competitor in town never advertises prices except for window stickers on new boats in the showroom. I think he misses a lot of traffic on brokerage/used due to the no price issue. I personally have been interested in some of his brokerage boats, but with no frame of reference I am not going to call for a price.

Quick Reply: General question about classifieds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.