Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   moving up from 18' jet to 32' offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/125715-moving-up-18-jet-32-offshore.html)

sandcraft 03-24-2006 12:13 PM

moving up from 18' jet to 32' offshore

Im new to this website and to offshore boats. (had an 18' jet boat once) I found my Nordic through a friend of a friend whose millionaire friend passed away. His widow wanted someone to have it that would appreciate and keep it. It has twin chevy 615 ci bowtie talldecks,dynoed at 750 hp,merlin heads, callies,oliver,imco outdrives basicly all the stuff of a rich mans toy.

The question I have is when I put the boat in the water this fall, (the engines are getting freshened up now) how would I go about finding a knowledgable offshore boater to check me out in this boat. I know there are plenty of captain ron types that would just want to drink beer and thrash my boat for a day. I look at it like going from a single engine cessna to a lear jet. You dont just jump in and go because you have the basics of flying. For example: I know what trim tabs are and what they do, but how do you use them? I think finding this website was a good start as I see a lot of people that are passionate about boating and love to share knowledge. I should be putting in around ft Lauderdale for a trip to Bimini. Thanks a bunch....Casey

LostinBoston 03-24-2006 12:25 PM

Re: moving up from 18' jet to 32' offshore

http://www.performanceboatschool.com/

give Tres a Call.

CigDaze 03-24-2006 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by sandcraft
I look at it like going from a single engine cessna to a lear jet. You dont just jump in and go because you have the basics of flying. For example: I know what trim tabs are and what they do, but how do you use them? I think finding this website was a good start as I see a lot of people that are passionate about boating and love to share knowledge. I should be putting in around ft Lauderdale for a trip to Bimini. Thanks a bunch....Casey

Welcome to the board!!! :cool: You've certainly come to the right place.

I love you're attitude, and I wish more people shared your views. Too many people jump into these very capable boats and don't think twice about it until they get hurt.

There's not much one can say in writing that will teach you to develop that feel for driving a boats like these, there's no replacement for seat time.

Going out with an experienced offshore powerboater your first few times is probably the best advice I can give.

The basics of coming onto plane, turning, trimming and attacking various sea conditions won't be much different than your previous boat, however I must stress that each boat has its nuances and particulars. Take it easy the first few hours, and get a feel for the handling characteristics without doing anything abrupt. Abrupt manevers at high speed is probably the biggest cause for accidents, obvious I know, but I wanted to say it anyway.

Is it a stepped hull or straight bottom(It looks straight from the pics, but sometimes that's misleading)? This will make a big difference in handling and particularly how the boat turns.

LostinBoston 03-24-2006 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Going out with an experienced offshore powerboater your first few times is probably the best advice I can give.

very true. In a addition ton the class. There are many members in the Ft. Lauderdale area that woudl be willing to go for a spin. I also wouldnt reccomend going to bimini until your completely comfortable with your boat.

pullmytrigger 03-24-2006 12:33 PM

Tres would be a great call......there are quite a few Fla OSO members Im sure a few will post and go for a shakedown run.....post pics!

sandcraft 03-24-2006 01:26 PM

Its a straight hull, 24 deadrise

fund razor 03-24-2006 01:34 PM

Cool boat.
Welcome to OSO.

I hate you already. :D

Just kidding.... CigDaze beat me to all the points I would have made.

As someone who works hard to pay my insurance bill... I appreciate your cautious and humble attitude toward your skills and the fact that you realize that have a serious boat under you.

Sounds like you are on the right track.... and don't worry... as little as some members know about some subjects... they do tend to know perf boats very well. ;)

You came to the right place.

Best of luck in your new ride.

Congrats. :D

BAJA WILL 03-24-2006 03:56 PM

Casey

Great attitude, you are very smart to want to learn as much as possible. In addition to having your motors freshened, you probably want to change your out drive oil also, any good boat shop should be able to do it for you. I would seriously suggest getting a few hours of play time before you go to Bimini. Anyway congrats, your avatar says "Rockingham NC" if you are up this way by Smith Mountain Lake let us know their is a fun crowd up here.

WILL :D

Pantera1 03-24-2006 04:11 PM

Push the sticks forward and steer :evilb:

ratman 03-24-2006 06:22 PM

welcome nice first offshore boat, take it out practice slow speed docking type driving for a bit to get use to it then add more throttle and feel your way around, til you get use to the bigger ride, then head for the big water and have a blast :D