Notices

Good marinas Sarasota?

Old 03-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good marinas Sarasota?

I need a referral for a good mechanic in the sarasota area.My generator in the formula acts up and shuts down.I think its a bad sender(temp).We are coming into town for the poker run next week.It would be nice to have someone check it out while in the water.There are no mechanics that work on kohler gen sets near me in south carolina.Any help would be appreciated Thanks!
Old 03-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Registered

Default Re: Good marinas Sarasota?

What year is your gen-set ? If its is your temp sender just unplug it (the temp sender that is) and see if it still acts up. It works on a grounding switch sender. It more than likely is a water pump problem if it runs for a while and then shuts down, if they don't move enough water the sensor will shut it down. Check the pump impeller and I'll bet you have a blade missing and is lodged in the line somewhere. Been there done that 2 summers ago. Chased it all summer cause I didnt get all the pieces of the impeller out of the lines after I installed a new one.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Registered

There is a MarineMax dealer next to Mote Marine. The are a Mercury dealer and also Sea Ray, so I imagine they can work on generators. It is across the bay from the Hyatt basin. Their phone number is 941-388-4411.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Registered

The gen is 2001 and has 10 hrs on it.The sea water pump seems to be pumping water.The discharge line is pumping water,and the hoses are cool to the touch.The temp guage in the cabin shows no temp reading at all.The gen will run almost 5 min then shuts down.After restart it will run maybe 2 min and then shut down.Like I said this gen has 10 hrs on it and I guess the impellor could have dried out and broken but,why no reading on the guage.Im assuming the sender/temp also controls auto shut down for high temp?I know this belongs in q&a but hey .any ckues guys?