Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Battery Boxes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/125998-battery-boxes.html)

Mikey Likes It 03-28-2006 01:00 AM

Battery Boxes

Which color billet battery box would you go with. I have an all white with white/red interior Fountain. Blue Mercury racing engine. The bilge has some billet red accessories already in it. I am leaning toward the polished but really like the blue.

Thanks,

Mike

Too Old 03-28-2006 07:24 AM

Re: Battery Boxes

If you go with polished, you'll have to keep polishing the box to keep the appearance up. They look great when new, but it's usually down hill from there.

Tantrum 03-28-2006 09:04 AM

I was going to go with polished but after talking with Fred I went with chrome. They look great.

Semper Fi 03-28-2006 10:24 AM

I would go with the blue

SKRAMER 03-28-2006 10:48 AM

Red

Scott 03-28-2006 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by SKRAMER
Red

agree

McGary911 03-28-2006 12:17 PM

I like the red myself. I have a couple from Eddie Marine. The clear powdercoat is starting to peel, right where the logo is, as the logo is bare aluminum. corrosion started on the logo and lifted the red. Who's boxes are you considering?

Strip Poker 388 03-28-2006 12:55 PM

I like the blue the best .

How does the Chrome hold up???? I know the battery acid will not be good on it and even if any fumes for charging might get on it it will eat the chrome plating.

Rob :drink:

Mikey Likes It 03-28-2006 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by McGary911
I like the red myself. I have a couple from Eddie Marine. The clear powdercoat is starting to peel, right where the logo is, as the logo is bare aluminum. corrosion started on the logo and lifted the red. Who's boxes are you considering?

I will be using the Keith Eickert Billet Aluminum Optima Battery Box. I like this box because no ones name is on it.

PhantomChaos 03-28-2006 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
If you go with polished, you'll have to keep polishing the box to keep the appearance up. They look great when new, but it's usually down hill from there.

Agreed! Good advise Fred!

How about a picture of the engine compartment now?

Mikey Likes It 03-29-2006 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Agreed! Good advise Fred!

How about a picture of the engine compartment now?

Here is the best pic of the engine compartment that I have right now. I can get a better one once I get back in town.

Scott 03-29-2006 07:35 AM

Red Box with the blue top optima. Perfect combo for your set up! If you use a regular battery then I would go with the chrome or polish with a black battery.

Can you clear the polished box :confused:

Too Old 03-29-2006 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Scott
Red Box with the blue top optima. Perfect combo for your set up! If you use a regular battery then I would go with the chrome or polish with a black battery.

Can you clear the polished box :confused:

Best to anodize a polished piece. Powdercoat doesn't seem to adhere to polished very well. The clear anodize will leave the box with a duller finish though.

drypipetiger 03-29-2006 08:59 AM

Blue

Outdrive1 11-20-2006 06:21 PM

Polished with blue step plates. Or mix them up, if you have three or four batteries alternate colors and step plates. Ex. Blue with polished step plate, then polished with blue step plate and keep alternating. Buy the red tops, they have a three year warranty and are cheaper than the blue. You can also use the side posts so that no-one can see your cables, makes for a really clean look.

Tazz 11-20-2006 06:26 PM

I had polished and they started to look skanky, so i replaced them with red, no maintainance, look great.

jlmtx83 11-21-2006 09:25 AM

if you are worried about acid, get the optimas, they can take the constant toll of playing the system with the motors off, running the batteries down low and charging right back up, plus they are sealed and no acids!

dkwestern 11-21-2006 11:56 AM

Red

Sydwayz 11-21-2006 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a single HP500EFI in my Sonic, and had my battery boxes PC'd Purple to match the rest of the accessories on the boat.

Go with the Red, to match the rest of the boat. It will keep the engine isolated by color/design, and still remain the focal piece. If you go with Blue, your eyes will naturally catch all things Blue, and take away from the engine.

I've attached a picture of my Sonic's engine compartment. Not the Optima battery, and not the same box, but just to illustrate my point.

In my AT, I went with billet Optima boxes by Livorsi from Fred. I pulled the two factory batteries and installed 4 Blue Top Optimas in the purple boxes. The only problem is they are COMPLETELY hidden under the backseat inside the gunwales, to make room for my sealed sub enclosure that drops in under the back seat.

satisfactionII 11-21-2006 07:09 PM

Nothing fancy, Shiny A$$ed Black

ACTIVESHACK 11-22-2006 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hows this look ?

Strip Poker 388 11-23-2006 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK
Hows this look ?

nat good that were the beer goes :drink: