Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Alabama Boat Ban Bill (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/126059-alabama-boat-ban-bill.html)

Magicfloat 03-28-2006 05:51 PM

Alabama Boat Ban Bill

Senate reconvened at 2 PM today,adjouned at 5:36 without accomplishing much of anything. Reconvenes tomorrow at 1:15. We have to get thru tomorrow and we might be home free,not enough days left,and there are bills more important to address,but the fat lady has not sung yet. Power Company today hired another expensive,high powered lobbyist, I think that makes 8. Our association has 1,the NMMA has 1. Power Company wants this real bad,but we do have some good senators that are boaters and cannot be swayed.The legislative process is not pretty. Keep your fingers crossed,your state could be next. :mad:

carney 03-28-2006 07:03 PM

Re: Alabama Boat Ban Bill

What else will our wonderful government try to take next????? land of the free, free to do what ever you want after paying taxes, health Ins, Car-boat Ins. Nothing left .

Magicfloat 03-30-2006 05:00 PM

Politics is a really ugly thing. www.dailyhome.com Read the lead article and then scroll down to the editorial. It passed the full house today,goes to Senate Tues where there will be a fight

pachangalpina 03-30-2006 05:11 PM

With most products or businesses you can spend your dollars elsewhere. But it is a little difficult to boycott the power companies.

open87 03-30-2006 07:31 PM

Keep Swinging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AIR TIME 03-30-2006 09:33 PM

Whats the ban, I must of missed a post about this ? anyway good luck hope for the best for you guys .

candyman35 03-30-2006 09:58 PM

I missed the original post also. Good luck with the fight.
Dan

Magicfloat 03-31-2006 02:13 PM

I have a lot of customers on Lake Martin,it's the 2nd largest lake in the state. The worst part of the bill is any boat over 26' 11" long and capable of over 60 mph will be banned,and owners have until Oct 1 to get them of the lake. I have a buddy who just built a 2 million dollar house on Lake Martin,added a monster boathouse with 3 lifts for his 35' Fountain,36' Skater,and 32'Fountain fishboat with twin 250 O/B's. All 3 of his boats will be illegal and have to be off the lake by Oct 1. I believe there will be a flurry of lawsuits if it passes the Senate. My lake got a pass but Lake Martin did not. www.tradeonlytoday.com

Too Old 03-31-2006 06:16 PM

It's just outrageous that a few lawmakers can sit around and pass bad legislation like this. Get your boats off the lake by October first??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

There ought to be a flurry of lawsuits. Gotta love the way blow boats have been excluded. :rolleyes:

Apparently the powerboat industry needs a stronger lobbying group with a bigger war chest.

I'm afraid this may be just the beginning.

Magicfloat 03-31-2006 10:14 PM

The NMMA kicked in 25K for a lobbyist, Alabama Power Company spent $250,000 per legislative day for the 8 lobbyists they hired. Money may not buy happiness but it damn sure buys senators and congressmen ,and not just in Alabama. Fortunately we have some Senators that cannot be bought.Cannot tip our hand yet but plan B kicks in Wed. We are going to beat this or go down in flames trying.