Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
cost to rig a 10 meter fountain? >

cost to rig a 10 meter fountain?

Notices

cost to rig a 10 meter fountain?

Old 03-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: cost to rig a 10 meter fountain?

I finished rerigging a 1986 Fountain 10 Meter about 2 years ago. No motors. The cockpit, cabin, dash, all had to be replaced. It had #3 outdrives. I estimated an additional 25 - 30K to finish. I ended up spending over 50K on rerigging activities and supplies and that does not include the original purchase of the hull with it's existing stuff.

It was all the small stuff that adds up (exhaust, mufflers, trim pumps, hoses, brackets, coolers, bell housing, flex plates, transmissions, motor mounts, hatch rams, battery boxes, battery cables, trim tabs, trim cables, trim rams, props, tie bar, clevis ends, rebuild outdrives, new bellows, new hinge pins, new trailer (couldn't find used). That's all stuff I did not really account for in my rough estimate (since I had never done a complete rerig before).

If I had it do over, I would buy something already finished, or maybe one with blown motors that I knew had all of the small parts. Unless you have a good source to cheaply scavange a bunch of these small but expensive parts, it will nickel and dime you to death. The steering system alone (full hydraulic) will run close to $4K.

And when you are done, you'll have an asset that is worth about 50% of what you put into it. If you have extra funds sitting around you would like to burn because you enjoy working on your own stuff, get busy on the project. Otherwise, go spend about 1/2 of that and get something where you just add water and go play.

Just my opinion. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blownincome on here has a nice 1990 35 for sale that will probably be cheaper than the re-rig that you are contemplating. Unless you have known good used parts and are going to do all of the work yourself, it will be difficult. Another option is to find a well maintained salvage boat that can be a donor. There have been a few hurricane victims available from dry storage collapses that might be doable.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can put a boat together pretty cheap if you scrounge around for decent used parts. Some things you will want to go new. Obviously it wont be a "bling bling" boat but you would be amazed how cheap you can find stuff..Although the search and wait takes alot longer than buying new.
There were just a pair of complete 502-bravo packages here with 191 hours for 14K at a shop near me.
Got a complete set of 280 tabs w pumps etc for $400 a couple years ago. Had to sandblast em etc but it beats the almost 3000 merc would charge.
It can be done.. and the money you save buys lots of suds
Old 03-29-2006, 09:54 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you can't do it yourself, labor will be costly.
And if you can do it yourself, you better have lots of time... just ask audiofn!

So even if you can find cheap used engines for 14k, and drives for 6k, you are at 20k. And you got used stuff that should probably be gone thru, for more $$.

I'd listen to waterbum here... did the exact same boat w/ twins.
Its gonna cost twice what you figure.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Registered

I've done 3 boats between 30 and 38 feet.
I already had A LOT of good used parts, including complete engine/drive packages, steering, etc.
If you have time, know what you're doing, can get parts cheap, and do it yourself, you can do it cheaper than buying a completed used boat. Otherwise, forget it. You'll have more in it than it will ever be worth.
Gary
Old 03-29-2006, 10:24 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rdoactive
I already had A LOT of good used parts, including complete engine/drive packages, steering, etc.
If you have time, know what you're doing, can get parts cheap, and do it yourself, you can do it cheaper than buying a completed used boat. Otherwise, forget it. You'll have more in it than it will ever be worth.
Gary
If I had a pair of engines sitting around, then I agree, it would be the way to go.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Registered

BTW, this wouldn't be a stripped red Fountain in Canada, would it?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love these one post wonders that ask questions with out giving us the facts.

If that hull is not brand new the answer is...

TOO MUCH

There are more used Fountains out there than any other Hi-Perf boat.

Wannabe
Old 03-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by waterbum
I finished rerigging a 1986 Fountain 10 Meter about 2 years ago. No motors. The cockpit, cabin, dash, all had to be replaced. It had #3 outdrives. I estimated an additional 25 - 30K to finish. I ended up spending over 50K on rerigging activities and supplies and that does not include the original purchase of the hull with it's existing stuff.

It was all the small stuff that adds up (exhaust, mufflers, trim pumps, hoses, brackets, coolers, bell housing, flex plates, transmissions, motor mounts, hatch rams, battery boxes, battery cables, trim tabs, trim cables, trim rams, props, tie bar, clevis ends, rebuild outdrives, new bellows, new hinge pins, new trailer (couldn't find used). That's all stuff I did not really account for in my rough estimate (since I had never done a complete rerig before).

If I had it do over, I would buy something already finished, or maybe one with blown motors that I knew had all of the small parts. Unless you have a good source to cheaply scavange a bunch of these small but expensive parts, it will nickel and dime you to death. The steering system alone (full hydraulic) will run close to $4K.

And when you are done, you'll have an asset that is worth about 50% of what you put into it. If you have extra funds sitting around you would like to burn because you enjoy working on your own stuff, get busy on the project. Otherwise, go spend about 1/2 of that and get something where you just add water and go play.

Just my opinion. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
I agree...Kinda like old cars

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered

At least old cars are appreciating in value. Doubt you'll ever see that on an old boat.

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I agree...Kinda like old cars

Quick Reply: cost to rig a 10 meter fountain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.