Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
#6's to #4's or Bravo's??  Is there a transom plate available?? >

#6's to #4's or Bravo's?? Is there a transom plate available??

Notices

#6's to #4's or Bravo's?? Is there a transom plate available??

Old 03-31-2006, 11:21 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: #6's to #4's or Bravo's?? Is there a transom plate available??

I would guess that boat weighs way more than 10,000lbs. Stay with 6's. They are already on the boat. You won't have a failure either.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you insist on changing the drives, and don't want to reglass the transom you can use extension boxes to cover the old holes and mount your new drives to the boxes.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old Scarab 40 weighed 11,000 on the travel lift with a little bit of fuel in it. The Black Thunder weighs 11,500 dry according to the factory. It goes 75 with 650hp 540's and Bravos. They are living but they are a constant worry. The Fountain has to be heavier and surely requires the same amount of hp to go that fast. I would go with Konrads and a pair of 600+ ci n/a engines to keep costs down but still have a fun, reliable ride.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
My old Scarab 40 weighed 11,000 on the travel lift with a little bit of fuel in it. The Black Thunder weighs 11,500 dry according to the factory. It goes 75 with 650hp 540's and Bravos. They are living but they are a constant worry. The Fountain has to be heavier and surely requires the same amount of hp to go that fast. I would go with Konrads and a pair of 600+ ci n/a engines to keep costs down but still have a fun, reliable ride.
Hello and thanks for the info!! Were those 40' boats trips or twin motors? Remember... my boat is a flat deck boat with unfinished cuddy... basically nothing in the cuddy at all... I figured 2,000lbs for two motors... 1,000lbs for drives... and 7,000lbs for the hull. Again, I could be way off...

Thanks again for all of the help guys...
Old 04-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr2328
As heavy as that boat is Bravos will not survive. That boat needs the transom redone anyway because it was not done at Fountain factory but at a Fountain dealership. The boat needs big staggered power to run right.
so , this hull was just a side by side engine package ??

do you still have the 6 drives?

papache , i meant the 3a drive... i thought the # 5 were still avaliable too...
Old 04-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both boats were twins.

Last edited by PatriYacht; 04-01-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your trying to save money thats the last thing you will accomplish with bravos.To much hull and weight and to much
power === broken bravo.Listen to all the great advice on this
forum they are trying to spare you the pain.Not to be a smarta** but if the cost of used drives has got you down have
you thought about maintenance,fuel,insurance and all the other expense's that go along with owning such a boat?
Lower the H.P but find you a nice set of wet sump six's you won't be sorry.Stand off boxes the last time I check are not very cheap much less having some custom made.In the classifieds theres a triple with 1000hp and 6s asking price 29,000 a package.Sounds like a great deal even if some rebuilding is needed. Last but not least don't purchase #4s
parts are very hard to come buy.You would really need 3as to
get the correct X dimension I think.Not totally sure I have been a Cat owner for the last 15 yrs. GOOD LUCK
Old 04-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
If your trying to save money thats the last thing you will accomplish with bravos.To much hull and weight and to much
power === broken bravo.Listen to all the great advice on this
forum they are trying to spare you the pain.Not to be a smarta** but if the cost of used drives has got you down have
you thought about maintenance,fuel,insurance and all the other expense's that go along with owning such a boat?
Lower the H.P but find you a nice set of wet sump six's you won't be sorry.Stand off boxes the last time I check are not very cheap much less having some custom made.In the classifieds theres a triple with 1000hp and 6s asking price 29,000 a package.Sounds like a great deal even if some rebuilding is needed. Last but not least don't purchase #4s
parts are very hard to come buy.You would really need 3as to
get the correct X dimension I think.Not totally sure I have been a Cat owner for the last 15 yrs. GOOD LUCK
Hello Hot Pursuit... all very valid points and you are correct. I have a bad case of ADD when it comes to toys...

At this point, I have a 1988 Donzi Z33 that is just about totally rebuilt, 1997 Dodge Viper GTS (16k miles), and just picked up the 47' Fountain last week. #6's would normaly not be a problem... but I am building a house and have a kid on the way... The right thing to do would be to sell the Viper and put that money into the Fountain... but I have a hard time letting go of toys. Anyone want a Viper?????

Q
Old 04-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I hear yea we have all been there.Sell the Viper and buy some
#6s!!!Bravos on a 47' just don't look right.If you chose to install the weak link I hope you enjoy idling allot.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I paid 30K for these complete and transom assembly's.Spent
10k on rebuild all new bearings,gears and seals.Just to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails #6's to #4's or Bravo's??  Is there a transom plate available??-dsc00758.jpg   #6's to #4's or Bravo's??  Is there a transom plate available??-dsc00759.jpg   #6's to #4's or Bravo's??  Is there a transom plate available??-dsc00760.jpg